Author Topic: Tempe Sensor & Battery Life  (Read 1092 times)

Tempe Sensor & Battery Life
« on: 29 April, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »
Anyone got experience with how the Tempe temperature sensor effects battery life?

Typically I have been getting 11.5 Hrs battery life from the Garmin rechargeable battery pack and 13.5 Hrs from Eneloop XX rechargeables Last week I decided to add a Tempe temperature sensor to my bike as it's nice to know why I'm shivering  :)

On a 300k during the weekend the battery life plummeted to 6.5 Hrs for the Garmin rechargeables and 8.5 Hrs for the Eneloops. There were no other changes to my set up and so I can see no other explanation than the Tempe and the simple act of registering and recording the temperature is causing a massive power drain on the Oregon. My Edge units perform the same task, as well as displaying and recording Cadence and Power with no noticeable effect on battery life what so ever.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of power drain from the Tempe or other ANT+ devices? Is this a "feature" just of Oregon units? If so why is it so much less efficient than Garmin's Edge GPS units? Is it just another software bug?

Re: Tempe Sensor & Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »
I've run one with an Oregon 550T for well over a year and see no difference in battery life, and still on original CR2032 cell.

I don't find the sensor very useful though, it's too influenced by proximity to ones body.

Re: Tempe Sensor & Battery Life
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »
Interesting that you're not seeing battery problems, someone elsewhere implied it could be a firmware issue.

I have the sensor zip-tied under my rack so it is away from my body heat and mostly out of direct sunlight. To be fair it seems to provide a more accurate reading than the Edge 500 I also use.