Author Topic: The 2015 Phil & Paul Show  (Read 12839 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The 2015 Phil & Paul Show
« on: 05 July, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
This year's early favourite in the "How Many Different Ways Can ITV's Colemantators Pronounce A Rider's Name Competition is definitely Quintana who - IIRC - has already been "Cantata" and "Cartagena".  With doubtless more to come.  Thank goodness for sanity in the form of Super Jens :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: The 2015 Phil & Paul Show
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »
Might stream NBC to see Mr Shut up Legs :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2015, 05:02:28 pm »
German commentary (partly by Tony Rominger) much better.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2015, 10:35:23 am »
You'd have to be very careful setting the rules for a Phil'n'Paul TdF commentary drinking game, because you'd be ratted before the first advert break on the evening's highlights show. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:50:26 pm »
<geometry pedantry>Yesterday we had from Phil "the riders are turning through 360 degrees, back they way they've come". No Phil, that's 180 degrees at that roundabout. They left that gaffe in for the highlights programme too  :facepalm: </geometry pedantry>

Ah, so it wasn't just me mutering at the tv at that point?

You'd have to be very careful setting the rules for a Phil'n'Paul TdF commentary drinking game, because you'd be ratted before the first advert break on the evening's highlights show. :demon:

Oh what a lovely idea.

How old is Phil? I saw him on the Slaying The Badger doc last night in an interview nearly 30 years old, and he didn't look very different.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2015, 12:56:23 pm »
How old is Phil? I saw him on the Slaying The Badger doc last night in an interview nearly 30 years old, and he didn't look very different.

He sleeps in a coffin filled with his native soil? That, or he's got a portrait in the attic...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2015, 01:01:40 pm »
Or they freeze him in between races? He's wise to it now but somehow (a la Mr T) they still manage to sedate him at the end of each race and get him back on ice.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2015, 02:50:16 pm »
Did anyone notice the bit at the end of the stage yesterday when one of them said "because technically we are racing below sea level here" as the riders were riding over the dam, with the sea below them on either side?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »
Did anyone notice the bit at the end of the stage yesterday when one of them said "because technically we are racing below sea level here" as the riders were riding over the dam, with the sea below them on either side?

No, but I've been hypnotically-conditioned to zone out P&P's commentary on hearing the trigger word 'suitcase', so as to avoid getting to bothered about it. I just watch it for the pretty pictures. ;D

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:05:26 pm »
I was amazed with the Paul Sherwin successful pronunciation of dutch place names (Gouda, Zeeland), today we learned he used to live in Belgium.

Peter Sagan must be confused whether he calls himself Sah-gan, Sar-gun, Suh-gurn.....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2015, 03:10:58 pm »
This year's early favourite in the "How Many Different Ways Can ITV's Colemantators Pronounce A Rider's Name Competition is definitely Quintana who - IIRC - has already been "Cantata" and "Cartagena".
I think you should count your quote marks before you criticise others.

Tssk, the standard of pedantry on this forum slips every year ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:44:59 pm »
Phil and Paul are a pair of dicks - I can't imagine why anyone would pay them to commentate.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:45:00 pm »
"Flemland", Phil?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:02:33 pm »
Cobblestones.  Again.

Time for fire and sticks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:08:19 pm »
Phil and Paul are a pair of dicks...

But they are by no means the worst.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »
Aww, c'mon.   It just wouldn't be the TdF without P&P.  It'd be like a pantomime without a Dame.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »
I'm paraphrasing here, but in a slightly condescending tone, "Now don't worry, none of those riders in yellow on the ground are the yellow jersey of Cancellara, those are the team colours of... Oh! That's Cancellara!"
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:40:05 pm »
At least you don't have the Carlton and Sean highlights show.
"We're going to a commercial. Coming up we have Froome in Yellow...."
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2015, 10:13:38 pm »

I'm paraphrasing here, but in a slightly condescending tone, "Now don't worry, none of those riders in yellow on the ground are the yellow jersey of Cancellara, those are the team colours of... Oh! That's Cancellara!"

A classic  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »

Don't forget they are pretty reliant on watching a monitor at the finish line and whatever info race radio provides.  I had to look at the replays a couple of times before I saw FC go into the ditch and his bike catapult out.  Not as easy as it might seem trying to follow the race and commentate when information is so limited and someone else is in complete control of what you see.

However, as armchair experts, I suppose it is our duty to comment.  Personally, I'm just pleased I can watch it live on ITV4 for free (ie no pay to view service) and just reduce the volume if I find the commentary tiresome.  What's that old saying that goes something like "easier to light a candle than complain about the dark", but I realise that complaining is always easier.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #20 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:33:39 am »
Did my ears deceive me or did Mr Sherwen really compare the peloton to a distillery ???

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #21 on: 07 July, 2015, 04:05:03 pm »
No, Phil, "six hundred tenths of a second" is a minute and not the very very small time gap separating Froome and Martin :facepalm:

rob

« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »

Don't forget they are pretty reliant on watching a monitor at the finish line and whatever info race radio provides.  I had to look at the replays a couple of times before I saw FC go into the ditch and his bike catapult out.  Not as easy as it might seem trying to follow the race and commentate when information is so limited and someone else is in complete control of what you see.

However, as armchair experts, I suppose it is our duty to comment.  Personally, I'm just pleased I can watch it live on ITV4 for free (ie no pay to view service) and just reduce the volume if I find the commentary tiresome.  What's that old saying that goes something like "easier to light a candle than complain about the dark", but I realise that complaining is always easier.

I'm not sure why Lotto can race in yellow.   In the 90s ONCE used to change to pink kit for the Tour so as not to confuse the viewer.   I believe Mercatone Uno did the same.

« Reply #23 on: 07 July, 2015, 04:51:20 pm »
^^^^

Indeed.  Little wonder the commentators find it challenging at times to identify who is who.

Bad enough on my 190cm TV let alone a relatively small monitor in the 'press/commentator booths' at the finish line.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #24 on: 07 July, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »
You've got a 6 foot telly?