Author Topic: Jury Service - what's your experience?  (Read 17706 times)

Re: Jury Service - what's your experience?
« Reply #75 on: 09 May, 2022, 03:21:08 pm »

High Court / Court of Session, or Sheriff Court?

High Court (Glasgow). :-\ I've emailed them and will see what they say.

Ah well, they've responded and confirmed I'm excused. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #76 on: 09 May, 2022, 04:25:54 pm »
IIRC my highly-esteemed b-i-l DR Davis, as befits a Saarrff Lunnon boy, got a nice juicy armed robbery.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rr

« Reply #77 on: 09 May, 2022, 05:08:41 pm »
Never underestimate the amount of sitting around involved, last autumn I was part of the prosecution team for an eight days jury trial, despite the lawyers and the judge working solid ten hour days, the jury only sat in court for about 10 hours.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #78 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:46:39 pm »
I was selected to do it a before covid. In some ways I was looking forward to the experience but then I received a text (i think) saying thanks very much but not required.

« Reply #79 on: 12 May, 2022, 08:07:30 am »
I have had three experiences of jury service over 35 years.  I have no idea whether it is coincidence or not but each time was within a very short time of appearing on the electoral roll in a new court area.  All three times have been for a nominal two weeks, all have involved a lot of sitting about, waiting to be selected for a jury and all have ended before the full ten days.  I haven’t had any really exciting cases, just driving offences and a bit of pub violence.  I guess it’s a civic duty and I tried to weigh up the evidence and come to a proper conclusion but it’s not something I look forward to doing again.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #80 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:24:20 am »
My mother got called for jury service on a kiddy pr0n trial.  She did not enjoy the experience.

I served on a child sex abuse case. The whole experience was deeply unpleasant - not just because of the nature of the case but because of the nature of most of my fellow jurors.

When I got the call up, I went into it enthusiastically, thinking it might be an interesting experience. I really hope I never get called again.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #81 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:25:22 am »
IIRC my highly-esteemed b-i-l DR Davis, as befits a Saarrff Lunnon boy, got a nice juicy armed robbery.

Mine was at Southwark Crown Court many years ago. The first case we got involved a couple of feuding Irish Traveller families involving knives, guns, dogs, large amounts of money and convoluted family trees. It was absolutely fascinating, but at the end of the morning they went to call the third witness and found she'd gone on holiday for two weeks.

So they gave us another case. The defendant had been badly beaten up by a couple of plain-clothes coppers basically because he was wandering through a posh area in the early hours of the morning (he'd been walking home after a late shift at work). Realising their mistake, they prosecuted him for assaulting police officers. They produced hilariously bad statements, blatantly lied under oath, and their main injuries were to their knuckles. We had a week of that, and found him not guilty in ten minutes, nine of which were the foreman trying to convince us to spin it out so we could get free sandwiches and an extra few quid. What a complete waste of everyone's time.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #82 on: 08 December, 2023, 05:47:04 pm »
Never underestimate the amount of sitting around involved, last autumn I was part of the prosecution team for an eight days jury trial, despite the lawyers and the judge working solid ten hour days, the jury only sat in court for about 10 hours.

After my first week of two weeks jury service, I can concur.

I had two days of being sent home before lunch before being picked for a drugs case on Wednesday afternoon, which didn't get far before we were sent out while a matter of law was discussed. After 40-odd minutes sitting around, they sent us home.

Yesterday, we ended up hanging around until 3pm before being back in court, and then adjourned at a convenient point in the proceedings after less than an hour.

Today, we actually managed to get the rest of the proceedings out the way and deliver a verdict.

Got another week of this...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #83 on: 11 December, 2023, 04:07:12 pm »
Further to the above:

Hung around all morning with the rest of the Week 2 reprobates and was told just before lunch that we were released for the rest of the day, but to call in from 15:30 to see if we were required.

Just called in and been discharged from further duty this week, so that's that.

I kind of feel a little bit let down, because I was hoping this week would improve the hanging around/court time ratio but it is what it is, I guess.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche