Author Topic: How expensive is Scandinavia really?  (Read 6278 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: How expensive is Scandinavia really?
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2014, 10:26:15 pm »
I paid about £6 for a G&T at a night club in the far north of Sweden (Kiruna).
In 1988...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #51 on: 22 February, 2014, 04:50:34 pm »
I paid about £6 for a G&T at a night club in the far north of Sweden (Kiruna).
In 1988...
My experiences were similar, albeit in Tromsø (far north of Norway. As in 'above the Arctic Circle' north) in the mid 90s. As you head further north, even basic stuff gets very expensive, very quickly.

Totally worth it, mind - it's mind-hurtlingly beautiful up there, particularly in midsummer.

« Reply #52 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:38:50 pm »
Look if you insist on going to that there Scandanavianshire you will only come back with silly ideas such as no national debt, high standard of living, quality child care, good education, people actually paying taxes, social equality, banks that work and other nonsense.  ;D (Danger of being POBId thinks)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: 25 February, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »
In 2009 I cycled around the Baltic , getting to ferry from Harwich to the Hook then cycled around the coast of Holland, Germany, through Denmark, Sweden to the border with Finland then down to Helsinki and got the ferry across to Estonia, then through Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Holland and back to the Hook for the ferry back to Harwich.

The following year I cycled the European end to end from Tarifa to Nordkapp.
Here’s a map of what I’ve done over the last seven years.

I won’t bore you with tons of information but if you have any specific questions I’d be happy to answer any of them.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #54 on: 25 February, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »
Bliley  :o

What do you think of Finland and what time of year did you go though there?

H

« Reply #55 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:17:10 am »
Finland is a stunningly beautiful country, as is all Scandinavia. Like Norway and Sweden I think it gets more beautiful the further north you get, although it seems the mosquitos get more intense and aggressive the further north you go.
The thing to remember about Sweden and Finland is they have no trespass laws out in the country so you can wander where you wish, which was perfect for me as I camped all the way on my tours and I always preferred wilderness camping. You must be vigilant out there though I was visited at night by a variety of animals while I slept in my tent including wolves and bears.
When walking into the forest to make camp I would always make plenty of noise as I searched for a spot, the noise would make the bears move on. The last thing you want to do is bump into a bear, they are just so unpredictable, they may run off but are as likely to run at you and they can easily kill you if they should so wish.
As for wolves I never concern myself with them they are not only magnificent animals but are wholly predictable and shy.
Wild boar can be trouble too, so you have to be careful.
Inquisitive moose and reindeer can cause problems to camping equipment but are harmless enough.
Of course if you stick to the main roads you probably won’t encounter the more dangerous animals although up north you can hardly miss the moose and reindeer.
A great country to cycle in as the drivers are so courteous (not that you’ll come across many up north)

« Reply #56 on: 26 February, 2014, 08:58:09 am »
Get good maps. As much of Scandinavia and Finland is forested, there is a comprehensive network of tracks through the forests that can be used on a bike. Eerily quiet much of the time, they are much better than the (already good) roads. Even though they are forested on an industrial scale, you will still see a lot of wildlife. I was stunned to see an osprey fly overhead with a big fish in its talons within a mile of hitting the tracks.

When using the busier roads, be aware that they are often 3 lanes wide. The narrower middle lane is used for overtaking with the car being overtaken obliged to move over, at speed, to let the passing car through. This can be disconcerting.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #57 on: 04 March, 2014, 04:23:12 pm »
My brother lives in Vesteralen and is in the Warmshowers system  https://www.warmshowers.org/ where there are reciprocol stops for cyclists.

Do not know if that system has already been mentioned but it operates internationaly.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #58 on: 29 March, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »
We've booked the Harwich to Esbjerg ferry for June, and I now have a map :)

But I am wondering if anyone knows where I could get a copy of the "Overnatning-i-det-fri" book of basic Danish campsites in the UK?

We'll be wanting to find the cheap campsites so that we can afford a beer!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #59 on: 29 March, 2014, 12:34:00 pm »
When we used the overnatning i det fri we couldn't by it online, though we borrowed a copy from Gus. Though I'm sure when you hit Esbjerg it will not be too hard to find the tourist information, yes I know hard to plan a route if you don't have it, so nag Gus of this forum :)

Just searched and you can order it online here http://www.bog-ide.dk/ though a quick look about I couldn't find out if they deliver to UK addresses.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #60 on: 29 March, 2014, 01:13:34 pm »
Thanks Woolly,

I had wee look at the link but my Danish is non existent, so a bit of a challenge  :-[
But if Gus is around I will ask nicely, even if I send him some cash to order it for me!

We do actually have a cycling map which seems to differentiate between 'tent site' and 'campsite', and I think, but am not totally sure, that the tent ones are those in  the 'Overnating guide'

Mind you, if you cant read Danish the directions in the proper book may be limited use anyway....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #61 on: 29 March, 2014, 01:43:05 pm »
I can read Danish, from what I can remember the directions are fairly easy if you got a good map - we got Open Steep Map on GPS. Though that said even with that we had to call a few times to get the right directions. They all speak enough English to talk you into the campsite. The book had GPS coordinates sadly I couldn't enter them on my unit.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #62 on: 29 March, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »
I've send you a PM.

There are some maps in the book, with gps units. It's still in danish But as Woollypigs say 95% of people under 65 speak english and are normal very helpful if you ask for help.

Prices have gone up to maximum 30 Dkr ~£3/night.  :-\

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #63 on: 01 April, 2014, 02:39:33 pm »
I've got a recent (within last 2 years) overnatning book & accompanying fold out map thing if anyone wants it - gratis like.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #64 on: 01 April, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »
Well Graham, I would say I would love to borrow it (or keep & send on to the next person who needs it) but only if Gus hasnt already ordered the one he so kindly offered to buy in Denmark and send on to me.....I'll let you know!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #65 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:40:31 am »
I will probably be picking your brains later on this year, if that's OK, Crystal Tips.  Partner has family in Ulvik, so planning a little trip for next May, through Scandinavia up there from Ejsberg. 

« Reply #66 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »
Of course, we'll let you know how we get on.

My overnating book arrived today  ;D

Thanks!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #67 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sleep cheap and enjoy an extra beer. :smug:

Bugloss

« Reply #68 on: 27 July, 2014, 07:59:01 am »
Just to let you all know the Harwich - Esbjerg ferry will be no longer.

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/about-us/press/press-releases/new-sulphur-rules-cause-closure/