Author Topic: Perfect airport facilities for cycle tourists:  (Read 2299 times)

gordon taylor

Perfect airport facilities for cycle tourists:
« on: 29 December, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
Don't you wish everywhere was as bike friendly as Christchurch Airport?

Bicycle Facilities

Clear info.
Boxes for sale.
Assembly stands.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Perfect airport facilities for cycle tourists:
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
Don't you wish everywhere was as bike friendly as Christchurch Airport?

Bicycle Facilities

Clear info.
Boxes for sale.
Assembly stands.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It'd be even better if you could hire a box at any airport. Then you could leave it at the airport, go cycling, then hire another box when/if you fly back.

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
Perfect would be not having to do anything with the bike except ride it to the aeroplane. Perfect would be no boxes, no dismantling.

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
Perfect would be not having to do anything with the bike except ride it to the aeroplane. Perfect would be no boxes, no dismantling.

Yes, ride your bike straight up the ramp and onto the aeroplane. No messing about. ;D
Actually, that's why I prefer ferries.
I don't know if there is room on the plane for not flattening the bike though. I bagged mine up last time, which is less bulky than boxing it.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »
And with Bryan Allen as your pilot.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

Yes, ride your bike straight up the ramp and onto the aeroplane. No messing about. ;D
Actually, that's why I prefer ferries.
I don't know if there is room on the plane for not flattening the bike though. I bagged mine up last time, which is less bulky than boxing it.
2003 was the last time I flew with a bike, in a soft bag which folds up small when not in use. The bike was damaged in both directions ! I have flown with a bike in a cardboard box and not wrapped at all. Flown over a dozen times and only those two occasions did the bike get damaged, i think it was particularly one of the airports. I have actually flown from Christchurch but can't remember if my bike was packed at all or not. Wasn't in a bag, I didn't buy my bag until I got to Sydney but maybe a box from a LBS.

Definately flew from Melbourne to Launceston un packed. Rode to the airport, pushed the bike to the check in they had me rotate the bars and remove the pedals and luggage, that's it. This was in the early 1990s though, things are different now.

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »

My thoughts exactly. On my last four tours I've just wheeled the bike up to the check in counter, turned the handlebars sideways, removed the pedals and lights and lowered the saddle.  At the other end I restore handlebars, pedals, saddle and lights to their proper positions, load the panniers onto the bike, change into cycling clothes (in the men's room), and cycle out of the airport.

Having bicycle boxes for sale is a nice touch, but requiring their use seems a bit unnecessary.

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2009, 12:52:55 am »
We had an airport (Seville) where we took our own bikes round the back and loaded them into a flight container ourselves.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2009, 05:48:25 am »
I believe the reason they require boxes or bags is not for your sake, but to protect themselves against claims that a sharp bit of someone else's luggage (i.e. your bike's pedals, bars, etc) damaged something in cargo.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2009, 08:43:02 am »
Having some sort of covering (i.e. large plastic bag) is reasonable.  Non cyclists don't want their luggage covered with road dirt and chain oil.

My first flying trip was the easiest, just turned the handlebars sideways, took the pedals off and handed the bike across (Glasgow). 

Since then I've tended to use the CTC bike bag and ride away from the airport, though my habit of flying in padded shorts may have to change...

I was told Nice airport had a bike assembly area and tools, but I've never used them, though I've flown back from there 3 times.

For the US trip I used the S&S couplings on the bike and packed it into the S&S soft case. I assembled the bike at the hotel and posted the rolled up case to  my hotel in SF.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2009, 11:23:14 am »
Having some sort of covering (i.e. large plastic bag) is reasonable.  Non cyclists don't want their luggage covered with road dirt and chain oil.

I agree, a large clear plastic bag is reasonable. BA gave me a large clear bag in Denver on one trip. On subsequent legs of the same trip, BA staff told me not to bother with the bag.