Author Topic: The End of Hibernation 200  (Read 18655 times)

JJ

Re: The End of Hibernation 200
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »
  Suggest, therefore, late routesheets, but dropping emails to the entrants as their entries arrive?

OK, I'll do that for all those whose emails I can decipher.

Enjoy Chapel Hill

How's about I include that as an appendix to the route sheet?

Goodness me - not only is it slightly lumpy....Well done indeed to the route planner!

Slightly lumpy, hmm, well ok, but only by fen-dweller standards.  There'll be no AAA points for this one!
All credit for the route goes to Mrs McTaggart from whom I inherited it.  All I have done is straighten it out in a couple of places.  Where's Hartest?  I remember the name ...>Heads off to look at Bikely

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »
Similar to where most of my DIY 200 work has been done.  There's no point heading north from Cambridge is there?  ::-)

Are you looking for any controllers?

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »
Can get the routesheet but the garmin and gpx pages don't work "page not found"

[speculation]Web servers have to be configured to handle each file type (MIME type). I wouldn't normally expect a file-not-found like that for an unknown type, but the server wouldn't know what to tell your Web browser about the file so that it knew how to handle it. Just possible that your ISP has done something so that unknown MIME types can't be downloaded at all. Probably would be aimed at preventing users from putting up harmful ones, and accidentally catching you in the process.[/speculation]

JJ

« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

It's commercial controls all the way Simon, but any help at the start would be much appreciated.  I mean to ride around a week or two ahead of time and deliver stickers.  If you fancy joining me on that and maybe acting as backup in case I run out of time.

Andy Horner has offered to check the route.  I started to offer to ride with him, and then backed out hastily when I worked out who he is.  Another check is always welcome.

I'll put out a request for helpers on the CCCC forum soonish.

Just possible that your ISP has done something so that unknown MIME types can't be downloaded

Maybe I'll try renaming them to something innocuous-sounding then.  They are available in a Zip file though, and if anyone wants the route as .axe or google-earth format then shout and I can probably oblige.

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2009, 11:35:20 pm »

It's commercial controls all the way Simon, but any help at the start would be much appreciated.  I mean to ride around a week or two ahead of time and deliver stickers.  If you fancy joining me on that and maybe acting as backup in case I run out of time.

Andy Horner has offered to check the route.  I started to offer to ride with him, and then backed out hastily when I worked out who he is.  Another check is always welcome.

I'll put out a request for helpers on the CCCC forum soonish.

Just possible that your ISP has done something so that unknown MIME types can't be downloaded

Maybe I'll try renaming them to something innocuous-sounding then.  They are available in a Zip file though, and if anyone wants the route as .axe or google-earth format then shout and I can probably oblige.

I offered to help because I don't know if I'll be fit for a 200 by then.  However if I am, then I'd be glad to help with route checking etc.

Currently the only events I've entered in 2009 are the Fred Whitton Challenge and LEL.   ::-)

JJ

« Reply #30 on: 03 February, 2009, 11:58:12 pm »
Drat, forgot your knee.

I'd love to have your help in Haslingfield on the day, and if you improve in the intervening 6 or so weeks, then there's nothing to stop you riding it too.  I hope you do GWS.

« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2009, 08:44:21 am »
if you want some company for the recce ride beforehand, I'd love to join you! (but we're away the first weekend of March)

and if you need any help...

JJ

« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »
I'll work out when I'm gong to ride the course, and publish it for any locals who want.

Any help with checking riders out or in and catering will be gratefully received.  I'll contact those who've offered offline.

« Reply #33 on: 04 February, 2009, 01:25:34 pm »
1400m of climbing according to bikehike.co.uk (which I trust a lot more than the climbing figure on bikely) including my Anti-Larrington Manouevre at the end, so very much benign in the grand scheme of things.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #34 on: 15 March, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »
1400m of climbing according to bikehike.co.uk (which I trust a lot more than the climbing figure on bikely) including my Anti-Larrington Manouevre at the end, so very much benign in the grand scheme of things.

Benign sounds good: this is likely to be my first fixed 200.  Currently planning to execute the Greenbank Manouevre at the end (Chapel Hill features on the scenic version of my commute, and the view from the top is certainly worth a bit of climbing), but I'll see on the day.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

JJ

« Reply #35 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:24:33 pm »
I made a poor job of advertising when I would do the route check.  Sorry if anyone wanted to do it. 

Mike and I rode round today in glorious sun and cooperative winds.  I can report that
The new manager of the cafe at control 1 Stradishall is a friendly chap and serves a mean bacon sarnie.
The roads after Stradishall, once you turn off the A road, are in a diabolical state, you need to take extra care here for a few ks.
The road through Great Hormead is pretty awful too.

I've added a variant on the anti-Larrington to the route sheet.  It's about the same length as Greenbank's but a bit simpler.  You just take off to the left at the RH bend in Fowlmere and follow your nose until you get the the bottom of Chapel hill.  There right and follow the same appendage until it leads you to the finish control.

See you there.

« Reply #36 on: 20 March, 2009, 11:29:51 am »
I'm going to have to DNS this one I'm afraid (but I'll keep the routesheet for further reference!). Shame as I was looking forward to going back to Haslingfield.

Going down to Dorset to see my parents instead (on the train, not the bike).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #37 on: 21 March, 2009, 09:41:15 am »
I am really looking forward to this ride. I would love to do it on my fixed but instead will be using it to test my brand spanking new Roberts in preperation for The Dean next week  :P

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #38 on: 22 March, 2009, 07:46:46 pm »
Got back from this a few minutes ago.  JJ has put together a smashing ride, and today's clear blue skies seemed well suited to ending hibernation.  There was a spot of wind, though, which meant that the lanes out to One House flew past, while some of the hills on the return leg -- especially around Finchingfield -- seemed pretty tough.

Unlike previous Audax outings, I lost neither my Brevet or my sense of direction.  However, a freak gust of wind did blow by glasses off on the main road to Bury st. Edmunds.  Thanks to the rider who stopped while I retrieved them.  It seems that this month's must-have cycling accessory may be a piece of string!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:40:06 pm »
It was a Haslingfield Double Header for me. Saturday I rode a DIY 200 that got me to a B&B in Little Shelford, and today (Sunday) the End of Hibernation ride itself.

The Perm Outrun.
================
Swaffham, Wisbech, Oakham, Oundle, Little Shelford.
The forecast for Saturday was warm and sunny. When I set out at 5am, it was dark and -2c. I was bloody freezing, and almost turned round and came home before I'd done 5km. Instead, I kept going and tried to keep warm by riding hard. God - the Fenland roads seemed interminable. I stopped only very briefly at Wisbech and kept an aggressive pace going until I was caught at the level crossing at Helpston. Try very hard to avoid this if you find yourself over that way. I was there 15 minutes as one, then another and then yet another train passed.
Finally, the fens gave way to some actual scenery at Stamford. From there, it's a lovely rolling route through Exton to Oakham. Had a welcome bacon roll and scone at a cafe, and got going again, en-route to Oundle. The terrain South of Oakham, through Wing to Harringworth is "choppy" to say the least. By the time I got to the top of the third roller, I was cooking in my winter jersey and longs, so stripped down to shorts and single layer top. Ah bliss!
Fast descent to the Welland valley at Harringworth. That viaduct - what an awesome piece of kit! Another stiff climb to Laxton, but then easier terrain from there to Oundle. I used the B roads from South of Oundle to St Neots, including an excellent stretch of the B662, recently resurfaced with smooth blacktop, very little traffic, and aided by a tailwind - I was flying along. More traffic after Kimbolton, and quite busy in St Neots, but some judicious filtering soon saw me through the town and onwards to the Gransdens, before forking right to Great Eversden and finally (via Haslingfield) to Little Shelford.
I can thoroughly recommend the Dorset House B&B. Not the cheapest around - but V friendly, and happy to feed me copious amounts of breakfast, long before the normal Sunday hours.

The Haslingfield 200
====================
When I got to the HQ, I realised my bag wasn't done up properly. It later transpired my mobile had fallen out and is lost. Arse.

Anyway...

Lots of yACF presence both on the ride, and one or two in the kitchen, at the start. A fantastic ride out to One House, aided once again by a developing Westerly. Quiet roads, rolling hills (right from the word go in fact as we assualted the Gog Magog with fresh legged exuberance) and warming sunshine. Brilliant stuff!
Regulator - was that you (and two other chaps) in Stetchworth? If not, you have a double.
Much motorbike pr0n on show at the first control, and the most amazing bacon sandwiches - as promised by Mike.

I couldn't keep up with Scottlington on the next stage, whose exertions earlier in the week didn't seem to have slowed him down any. Kept passing Dasmoth - only to have him come steaming by on his fixed gear (usually going up a hill) with effortless ease.

Beans on Toast was required at the Lakeside cafe (89km). I was chasing the bonk a lot today as a result of doing back to back rides. I was also continually thirsty.

A fast run through Hitcham and Bildeston, but then the gradual turn Westward brought us into the wind (which by this time was strengthening, natch) and progress slowed significantly. By this time I'd hooked up with Alan Smith (not of the ACF parish, but a Naarfolk boy like me) and we rode into Sudbury and stopped for a pit-stop as I needed cash and he needed Snickers. A pint of milk and a Mars Bar helped me to fend off the Bonk a little longer.
The climb out of Sudbury seemed much easier than I was expecting, but the Finchingfield road was a real grovel into the wind. Lots more motorbikes on show in Finchingfield, and I rang home on Alan's phone to wish Mrs S a Happy Mother's Day. Poor Deniece turned up having got very lost, so our merry band became three.
More grovelling from here all the way to Hare Street. The climb through Clavering, into the wind, was painful - my legs were starting to give up, and I went through a major "I just want this to be over" phase. I gave myself a stern telling off, and cracked open the packet of Jelly Babies I'd been hauling around East Anglia for two days. All was OK with the world again.

The wind was across us now, so less of a hindrance, but it was still a bully on the descent from Barley down to Bridgefoot
The final run in was fast, and we were back before it was too dark. Simonp had been joined by Mike in the kitchen.

I had intended at this point, to ride into Cambridge, get the train to Downham Market and ride back from there (35km). Alan kindly offered to drop me off at Swaffham (10km instead!) and I hope I didn't seem too unseemingly desperate to accept his kind offer.

A great weekend's cycling - 466km in total.

JJ

« Reply #40 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:59:37 pm »
The floor is swept, the door locked, the keys ready to be handed back.
This newly cherry-free org is very pleased.
The weather gods were kind.
The riders were great.  Not a moan among them, but lots of friendly chat instead.
Most of all, stand up Mike SimonP and Mrs J and take a bow for all your help.  Hon. mention too to Terry, though I doubt he reads these page.

G'Night all.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #41 on: 23 March, 2009, 02:44:26 am »
Just finished 2am, after a 5am start total 350km all riden one my own as tail end charlie.
I got to the start with about 5 minutes to spare after the ride to the start was stop start due to new brakes not adjusted properly  ::-) and a constant squeek which would have drove me nuts, by the time I got sorted everyone had gone thought I might catch someone up but it never happened.
A few to talk to at the first control where I picked up a pair of gloves left behind (if they are anyones on here John has them).
A quick coffee at the Lakeside cafe and on the way again.
Stopped at Sudbury for a McD and on again straight past the turn just like Deniece but as I had a map I made my way through the villages to get back on route again, things were starting to slow down now though and after Finchingfield I started to feel a bit sick which slowed me down more.
I eventually got back to the hall at 21.00 and was well looked after by John and was away again at 21.30.
67km to get home but my legs had about had it and it took me 4.5hrs
I suppose it's not too bad, I'm happy with 21hrs.

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:24:18 am »
My phone has been found!  :thumbsup:

It must have fallen out of my bag near the B&B I was staying at, and it was found (not crushed under a car like I assumed). Off to Lt Shelford later to collect. Phew - much hassle avoided.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #43 on: 23 March, 2009, 12:15:02 pm »
My phone has been found!  :thumbsup:

It must have fallen out of my bag near the B&B I was staying at, and it was found (not crushed under a car like I assumed). Off to Lt Shelford later to collect. Phew - much hassle avoided.

Good News!!  :thumbsup:

This was really a tale of two halves from my perspective. Started off feeling pretty good and made good progress to the first control. Was briefly tempted by the huge and lovely looking bonk rations bacon sarnie that ChrisS had ordered, but decided to have a brief coffee instead and get moving. Deneice joined me on this short leg and we made good progress again to the Lakeside cafe where I had beans on toast.
Started off for the third leg on my own but got caught by 3 Sudbury CC riders at Sudbury (of all places) and used them as incentive to pick up the pace a little. As ChrisS previously said, the climb out of Sudbury wasn't all that bad. About 10k from Finchingfield we turned into the wind and things got a fair bit harder. The 4 of us arrived at Finchingfield and joined other riders casually muttering under their collective breaths about the wind!
I didn't linger and set off on my own again and stopped at Thaxted to grab something to eat and drink. A couple of others had the same idea.
Once again, off on my own - the wind was getting me down now and I starting shouting at it - didn't do much good...
The 3 Sudbury CC riders caught me up again and this time I couldn't stay with them so just carried on on my own. Eventually we turned northward and the headwind became a crosswind - much kinder - and I was able to make better progress. Finished about 18.30 I think.
Wind always gets my knees and this was no exception - both of them hurting quite a bit during the last 70k.

All in all a lovely route and great organisation! Thank you!

« Reply #44 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:00:12 pm »
Ben and I made it round, but didn't see much of other riders. Lovely weather at the start (I'm a bit pink today), but the later slogs into the headwind were a bit stiff. Particularly irksome since some of the route was shared with "Up the Uts"; I found myself thinking that not only had I ridden the same roads last weekend, I'd ridden them into the same headwind!

simonp

« Reply #45 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:25:50 pm »
You were lucky with the weather.

*sits at desk looking out at rain*

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #46 on: 23 March, 2009, 01:36:57 pm »
<snip!>
Regulator - was that you (and two other chaps) in Stetchworth? If not, you have a double. <snip>

Oh, that was what all those guys were doing in Stetchworth on Sunday! I did wonder. My folks live there. Nice hill up into the village isn't it  :) ?
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Chris S

« Reply #47 on: 23 March, 2009, 03:00:19 pm »

Rain is preferable to a headwind IMO, though the combination is more than the sum of the parts - thoroughly 'orrible. But we live at the end of the jetstream so have to put up with it.

Wind is like snow - it's very easy to over state how much you've got. Yesterday felt windy, but in truth it was "only" 20-30km/hr. During the snowy weather I saw plenty of journos standing on sleety moor tops saying "Well there's at least four inches of snow here..." when there was clearly only about an inch of slushy goop.

The terrain makes a difference too. Fenland is hateful on a windy day because there is no shelter or let-up. Yesterday, we were in rolling countryside which serves to make the wind gusty, and a bully. Passing gaps in the hedge on the run down to Bridgefoot was exciting, but there was shelter to be had behind hedges and in wooded places.

What pees me off most about the wind is that it always seems to strengthen when you are about to turn into it. A morning of an increasing tailwind does not compensate for an afternoon in the same increasing (now) headwind.

simonp

« Reply #48 on: 23 March, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »

Rain is preferable to a headwind IMO, though the combination is more than the sum of the parts - thoroughly 'orrible. But we live at the end of the jetstream so have to put up with it.

Computer Laboratory: Digital Technology Group

Computer Laboratory: Digital Technology Group

Much windier today!

« Reply #49 on: 23 March, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »
<snip!>
Regulator - was that you (and two other chaps) in Stetchworth? If not, you have a double. <snip>

Oh, that was what all those guys were doing in Stetchworth on Sunday! I did wonder. My folks live there. Nice hill up into the village isn't it  :) ?

yes, if you come from newmarket. The route came in from Dullingham so neatly dodged that one :)

Is the blackbirds still as good as it was?  We used to eat there quite a lot when I lived in n'market.