Author Topic: Forfar weekend, end of April  (Read 17425 times)

Forfar weekend, end of April
« on: 01 March, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »
I've just been looking at the audax calendar and there are (I think) 4 rides on the weekend of the 25/26 April.

There's a 150 (Pitlochry 150) and a 100 (Scone the Flat Way) on the Saturday and a 100 and a 50 on the Sunday - but they seem to be being organised by two different people and start from different places.

So - I'm unsure what to do. i'd like to come up and do one or (most likely) two that weekend, but I wondered what the other Scottish audaxers are planning?

Re: Forfar weekend, end of April
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2009, 11:52:11 am »
BUMP - is noone going to Forfar, or are you all just hiding from me?

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:17:15 pm »
Gosh, very bad-mannered of us all  :-[

I've got no insight into the organisers etc, but the routesheet for the Pitlochry 150 looks similar to previous incarnations and if so I'd thoroughly recommend it. Nice big hill coming out of pitlochry, and lovely countryside all round.  Only thing is at that time fo year there's often an east wind which makes the last 30Ks a bit tedious.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:19:50 pm »
Ah - that sounds good, other than the wind. I'm not really expecting to keep up with anyone, but it would be nice to recognise some faces at the start, at least!

I'm planning to come up and camp, so if anyone fancies drinks on the Saturday night, too, that would be good.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:27:50 pm »
Mrs P & I have the Pitlochry 150 and the Glen Isla 100 in the calendar  :thumbsup:

I don't think she'll be up for camping, though  :-\

We did the Pitlochry 150 last year and had a good time. The weather was good & the route goes through some nice scenery (in both senses of the word). And we met up with The Mechanic and Cyclemonkey during the ride, too  :thumbsup:

Pitlochry 150k 2008 route on Bikely.

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:33:48 pm »
Mrs P & I have the Pitlochry 150 and the Glen Isla 100 in the calendar  :thumbsup:

I don't think she'll be up for camping, though  :-\

We did the Pitlochry 150 last year and had a good time. The weather was good & the route goes through some nice scenery (in both senses of the word). And we met up with The Mechanic and Cyclemonkey during the ride, too  :thumbsup:

Excellent! Maybe I'll sign up for those then. Will you be staying in the area, or is it near enough for you to drive? (my geography is rubbish and I'm too lazy to look at a map...)

And tells Mrs P she's a wimp  :D

The Mechanic

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2009, 03:30:02 pm »
I will be up for the Pitlochry 150.  Hopefully the Glen Isla too.

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
There's a 150 (Pitlochry 150) and a 100 (Scone the Flat Way) on the Saturday and a 100 and a 50 on the Sunday - but they seem to be being organised by two different people and start from different places.

All the events start from the same place - Forfar Leisure Centre.  2 organised by audave and 2 by a non-YACFer.

I'll be there - if that doesn't put people off I have no idea what will.

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »
Ah, I see! And which rides are you doing? (Why do I ask, you'll always be doing the longer ones...)

And are you likely to be up for a drink on the Saturday night?

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »
And are you likely to be up for a drink on the Saturday night?

Why do you ask? I'm always up for a drink.... :thumbsup:

I'll be riding the 150 on Saturday (great route), but remain undecided about the Sunday.   

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »
Excellent news. And yeah - I think I'll register for the 100 on the Sunday but then see how I feel. Depends how much I drink on Saturday....

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:09:17 pm »
I've been trying to cobble together some publicity for the audaxes that our club members are organising this summer. Pending approval by The Committee  ;), here's a rough outline of the routes for the Forfar Weekend:
25-26 April Forfar Weekend
Saturday
Scone the Flat Way 100k As it says, a flat(tish) run on quiet roads to Scone, out via Glamis and Balbeggie, back via Stormontfield and Coupar Angus
Pitlochry 150k A fairly flat run to Pitlochry via Dunkeld, a hilly section over to Kirkmichael then back down Glen Isla
Sunday
Glen Isla 100k Over the Hill of Three Cairns, up to Kirkmichael then back over Blacklunans and down Glen Isla
Lintrathen Loop 50k An easy run up to Kirrie, round Lintrathen Loch, with a break at Peel Farm, then back on some hillier roads via Airlie and Drumgley
HTH
I'll post details of the other events in due course.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:17:02 pm »
Sunday
Glen Isla 100k Over the Hill of Three Cairns, up to Kirkmichael then back over Blacklunans and down Glen Isla
Lintrathen Loop 50k An easy run up to Kirrie, round Lintrathen Loch, with a break at Peel Farm, then back on some hillier roads via Airlie and Drumgley

They be going past my house....someone give me a shout if I'm still asleep  ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »
 ::-)
No Noodley, the correct response to this is: "Please don't go past my house: you are all warmly invited in for a Pot of Tea and A Scone."  :thumbsup:

The Mechanic

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2009, 09:28:28 pm »
That's jolly decent of you Noodley.  No sugar for me. :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:47:05 am »
Just uploaded the latest route sheets for the Saturday  Pitlochry 150k and the Sunday Lintrathen Loop  50 k to the route sheet link Audax.uk.net entry proforma.
Just working on the weather now   8)
Hope to see a few of you there, one or two already entered

Cheers

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #16 on: 09 April, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »
I'm planning to come up and camp, so if anyone fancies drinks on the Saturday night, too, that would be good.
Bumpity bump, for the obvious reason (see above).  :thumbsup:

It's just over a fortnight away now. Magner's and sing-song in the Osnaburgh?
Hoping there's no fitb'a fans to out-shout sing this time.

« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:24:59 pm »
Sounds good!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #18 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »
Eh? What?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2nwuVqcXKA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2nwuVqcXKA&rel=1</a>
Ah cannae hear ye.  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:48:48 pm »
Magner's and sing-song in the Osnaburgh?

Last time I was there I was competing with the tumble weed to get served from the sour-faced bar staff - it would appear the old owners did not sell the atmosphere along with fixtures and fittings  ???

Another venue may be required....however it may have just lacked atmosphere and customers cos I was there  ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #20 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »
Mrs eck spent an entertaining evening last Saturday with her pals in the Ogilvy Arms in Kirrie (aka the Og ::-) )
She described it as being like the Gunfight at the OK Corale.
That's more like it!  :thumbsup: ;D

« Reply #21 on: 10 April, 2009, 10:47:56 pm »
I spoke to AP and CT today, and they're both keen to come out for a drink. Is the Osnaburgh really that bad? We finally worked out where it is, it seems dangerous to pick somewhere else! But really, wherever suits - but better if it can be in Forfar, I think, so we can stagger tent-ward afterwards :-)

« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2009, 12:49:44 am »
I spoke to AP and CT today, and they're both keen to come out for a drink. Is the Osnaburgh really that bad? We finally worked out where it is, it seems dangerous to pick somewhere else! But really, wherever suits - but better if it can be in Forfar, I think, so we can stagger tent-ward afterwards :-)

Ok, maybe I was being a bit unkind as we arrived fairly late, and I hear it is still lively early-on (before 10.30).  Bar closes at 11pm.  But I'll be dancing on the tables of another pub in bed by that time after eating a pizza, a kebab and a curry.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #23 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:15:05 pm »
Looks like I'll be along to do the 50 with PerkyGirl, Chris & his wife.

I may do this one on a fixed.  :-\

Can't do the Saturday, I've a birthday party to attend.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

« Reply #24 on: 13 April, 2009, 09:05:11 pm »
I will hopefully be doing the Pitlochry 150 on the Saturday and as GlasgowDave says the wife and I shall be making our way around the 50km on the Sunday with PerkyGirl and himself. It's Susans first road ride of any distance at all so we'll see how it goes and hopefully she'll enjoy it enough to try some more.

The reason I say hopefully doing the Saturday is that I haven't entered it yet. Will need to email the organiser and see if he will add me to the list.
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.