Author Topic: Forfar weekend, end of April  (Read 17430 times)

Re: Forfar weekend, end of April
« Reply #50 on: 24 April, 2009, 07:40:54 pm »
I obviously have waaaay too much time on my hands, but I was wondering if RJMcB can explain this, and whether he'll be giving a rendition:

YouTube - YMCA

I can see him taking the lead with eck, valkyrie, Mercurykev, neilmc, Glasgow Dave and otherdave providing the backing....it might even get me along  :-*

« Reply #51 on: 25 April, 2009, 02:40:39 pm »
What a cracking day you've got  :thumbsup:

Light breeze, sunshine and mid teens temperature.  8)

I'll pop along to the pub tonight to say hello and hear the tales of how slow everyone was.  :-*

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #52 on: 25 April, 2009, 05:32:41 pm »
What a cracking day you've got  :thumbsup:

Light breeze, sunshine and mid teens temperature.  8)

I'll pop along to the pub tonight to say hello and hear the tales of how slow everyone was.  :-*
Ha! perhaps Tales of the Unexpected.  :P
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #53 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »
Ha! perhaps Tales of the Unexpected.  :P

Don't tell me - someone from the club cycled over 20 miles without stopping for a pot of tea?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 25 April, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »
Well I was slow but I don't care. All I was worried about was getting to Peel Farm before it shut.
By the time we finished everyone else had buggered off to the pub.

I think I need to get a special jersey made with 'I am the lanterne rouge' on it.  :-[ ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

John M

« Reply #55 on: 26 April, 2009, 02:45:29 pm »
Hi all,

What a splendid day on Saturday. :thumbsup:
Sorry that I could not make it out today (Sunday) but I seemed to have done my back in.
However, I have just got back from a short local ride so all must be OK.
I have put photos of the front runners from Saturdays Pitlochry 150km onto Flickr.
Go to the Audax UK group.
They are mainly of Dave F and Alex P whom I rode with. I really had to hang in at times.
Why is it always so hot going up the Mullin…?
The last 7 or so miles back to Forfar was sustained and a tortuous pace as we all hung onto the wheel of one of the Angus Bike Chain riders.

If anybody has any other photos perhaps they could add them.

Please help keep up the Scottish presence by send and photos from the Forfar weekend into the Arriveé magazine.

Cheers

John M

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #56 on: 26 April, 2009, 03:05:14 pm »

yACF Ecosse Audax Belles!  :-* :-* :-*
Crystal Tips, Ariadne and Mrs eck looking very pleased with themselves at the start of today's Lintrathen Loop, with a worried organiser audave looking on.

And, wot Johm M said. A great weekend. I think we are all hanging on at times on the Pitlochry 150 yesterday. if you look at the foties of Dave F and me, you can soon tell who was hanging on  :-[, and who was cruising  :P . If only he had the decency to look like he was actually trying. GIT.  :P 

A pleasant re-hydration session in the pub last night followed by a smashing wee run today on the Lintrathen Loop. Great to see so many wimmin oot! Crystal Tips, Ariadne, Mrs eck, Mrs scych and Perky Girl all out on the ride.  :thumbsup: The future of audaxing in Scotland is looking good.

« Reply #57 on: 26 April, 2009, 05:21:11 pm »
Ooof - home and unpacked and clean. That was a great weekend, but I'm tired now!

I intended to take loads of photos, but failed. The only one I have to present - Eck and his two right-handed gloves:

And Mrs Pingu -- I'm really sorry we weren't still there! We got in about 5 minutes ahead of you, and there was noone there to chat to/ drink tea ... and I knew there was beer waiting for me at the campsite. Hope the 100 went well today. I was really glad I went for the 50 - my legs were like jelly!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #58 on: 26 April, 2009, 05:27:33 pm »
The only one I have to present - Eck and his two right-handed gloves:
:-[
Top fashion tip: if you have two very similar pairs of track mitts and find, when you get to the start, that you have taken two right (or left)- handed ones, well then, just turn one of them inside out.  You will then have one for each hand. :thumbsup:

Or be more awake when you are sorting your kit out in the morning.  :-X

« Reply #59 on: 26 April, 2009, 05:37:21 pm »
I popped along to the Leisure Centre at lunchtime, on the off chance I could meet up with some YACFers.  4 finishers arrived just about 1pm, none of whom I recognised, then nobody more appeared in the time it took me to eat a bacon roll and drink a coffee. 

I caught a glimpse of a yellow jacket turning in just as I left the carpark about 1.25pm, then passed a male and female going under the underpass. 

I enjoyed the beer last night, it's so much better when I knew I did not have to ride the next day  ;D  And the kebab on the way home....

« Reply #60 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:11:34 pm »
...a tortuous pace as we all hung onto the wheel of one of the Angus Bike Chain riders.

I am reliably informed that was Mike Webster's wheel.

And should you wish a name check for the ABC rider in the picture, riding the Focus, it's Hamish Lean.

Good photies  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #61 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »
And Mrs Pingu -- I'm really sorry we weren't still there! We got in about 5 minutes ahead of you, and there was noone there to chat to/ drink tea ... and I knew there was beer waiting for me at the campsite. Hope the 100 went well today. I was really glad I went for the 50 - my legs were like jelly!
Hey, it's all good, I wasn't really expecting a reception committee. I was just surprised to see the car park so completely empty!
I was really struggling from Kirkmichael onwards yesterday.

Today was much better, managed Kirkmichael - Peel Farm in 1.5 hrs instead of yesterdays 2 hrs, thank god for tailwinds!
And we saw the red sqrl on exactly the same tree in someone's garden in Blacklunans as yesterday, and a black grouse (a first for us), and a stoat! All this after breakfasting sqrls and woodpeckers at Chateau Bob.  :thumbsup:

Hope all you 50-er's had a good day today.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #62 on: 26 April, 2009, 06:49:33 pm »
Just to add my thanks to the organisers and helpers. A great weekend and I managed to dodge the rain today. Only my 2nd (150) and 3rd (100) audax - this could get addictive! Thanks also to Hamish from ABC for sharing the load back into the wind yesterday and Dave for the pacemaking today.

« Reply #63 on: 26 April, 2009, 07:08:21 pm »
A great weekend, thanks to all the organisers and social conveners!

Having had a dodgy hip for ages I had a quiet day around the campsite on Sat but went along to the 50 today and it was fab. Thanks especially to Ariadne & Mrs & Mrs Eck for the company on the way back. 

We must have missed you by no more than a minute Noodley, we have 1.25 on our cards and I promise we werent fibbing!

Hope to see all of you soon

« Reply #64 on: 26 April, 2009, 07:11:49 pm »
Mrs and Mrs Eck? What are you trying to suggest about our Eck?

And I'd have sworn we got back at 1.18pm  :)

I had a great weekend, and it was good to see everyone in the pub too.

« Reply #65 on: 26 April, 2009, 07:15:58 pm »
Oops sorry!
But then we know it's Mrs Eck that does all the hard work anyway!  :demon:

« Reply #66 on: 26 April, 2009, 07:43:14 pm »
Sounds as if the yellow flash I saw as I left the carpark must have been everyone arriving.  ???  If only I had ordered a second bacon roll....

PerkyGirl

• A big fan of Peanut Butter Clif Bars
« Reply #67 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »
Made it...powered by carrot & butterbean soup and lemon drizzle cake...my first 50km.  Soooo happy with shiny new Fratello.  Thank you to the other riders for all the smiley encouragement.

Dave is less happy with his shiny black eye and bruises.  He gained these yesterday by hitting a brick in the road and busting front wheel, forks, bars and himself.  Fortunately we were able to get his bike fixed (thanks to Big Al's Bike Emporium)...However, by the run back into Forfar today he was making some pained noises.  Thinking of getting him a patch for his black eye so he can pretend to be a pirate  ;)

PG

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #68 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:22:00 pm »
Dave is less happy with his shiny black eye and bruises.  He gained these yesterday by hitting a brick in the road and busting front wheel, forks, bars and himself.  Fortunately we were able to get his bike fixed (thanks to Big Al's Bike Emporium)...However, by the run back into Forfar today he was making some pained noises.  Thinking of getting him a patch for his black eye so he can pretend to be a pirate  ;)

Pingu says we need pictures, so we can suitably ooh and aah. ;)

Oh, and here's some sympathy too.......

« Reply #69 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:55:38 pm »
The black eye is spectacular. And looks sore!

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #70 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:28:26 pm »
Made it...powered by carrot & butterbean soup and lemon drizzle cake...my first 50km.  Soooo happy with shiny new Fratello.  Thank you to the other riders for all the smiley encouragement.

PG

Chapeau PG on your first Audax   :thumbsup: - you're now sliding gently down a long and very slippery slope towards early morning starts, long days in the saddle and excessive familiarity with 24hr petrol stations  ::-)

Virtual chocolate to GlasgowDave -  I hope his injuries are more decorative than disabling. I'm shocked with the news that he is now self-harming just to fuel his bike shop addiction problem. :o
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #71 on: 27 April, 2009, 08:54:53 am »

Chapeau PG on your first Audax   :thumbsup: - you're now sliding gently down a long and very slippery slope towards early morning starts, long days in the saddle and excessive familiarity with 24hr petrol stations  ::-)

Virtual chocolate to GlasgowDave -  I hope his injuries are more decorative than disabling. I'm shocked with the news that he is now self-harming just to fuel his bike shop addiction problem. :o

She did very well, and claims to have enjoyed it too.

As for me, 3 hours in Big Als, but at least my bike is sorted for next weekend, providing the bruising and cuts on my hand heals. Perky didn't mention the helmet and glasses have to be replaced too, but Giro apparently have a reduced price replacement program.

As for photos, I'm afraid it's not a patch on Cyclops' but still pretty bad. Perky Girl has a good one, but it'll probably have to wait till this evening till she posts it.

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

« Reply #72 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:53:46 am »
Thanks to all to made the effort and came along to the Forfar weekend :thumbsup:
Over the weekend the 4 events attracted over 70 entrants with more than 30 finishing the Pitlochry 150.
Hope to see some of you up the road at Balachullish next week
Cheers

« Reply #73 on: 27 April, 2009, 12:55:00 pm »
Mrs Scych enjoyed her first 50k out on the road yesterday. I'm told the only downside was the uphill bits. I think a road bike (narrower tyres and more suitable gears) may have to be bought so she can start showing me how it's really done.

It was good to meet everyone for the first time. Thanks to Ariadne, Mrs Pingu and Pingu for letting me hang around with them all day. Hopefully I'll see you all again on another run out.
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #74 on: 27 April, 2009, 02:22:01 pm »
Thanks to audave & ron harrow for the oragnisation  :thumbsup:

Had a good weekend. Mrs P neglected to mention her new role as domestique for Angus CC  ;)