Linked Events

• Plains 400K: 10 May, 2008

Author Topic: Plains 400: Stockport  (Read 4158 times)

Plains 400: Stockport
« on: 22 April, 2008, 10:53:31 am »
A flat-ish 400 with an afternoon start, riding through the night to finish at a decent hour.  ...and a week before the BCM.  It would be rude note to :thumbsup:

I guess that most will be using the Severn Across for a 400, but we're otherwise disposed that weekend.  Any other takers for the plains?

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

LEE

Re: Plains 400: Stockport
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:47:46 pm »
Turn the volume up for a Frankie Vaughan guide to my old hometown

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WVRPrsZYP8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7WVRPrsZYP8&rel=1</a> "It's where it's at.

Don't think I'll be moving back based on this particular video montage (although, in fairness, it IS only 30 minutes ride to the Peak district or the Cheshire plain, something which Frankie fails to mention).

I may yet do some Stockport Audaxes as I have family there but not this year.  I imagine you can make some serious progress heading south across the plain.

DanialW

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »
I just can't get my head around starting at any other time than as early as possible in the morning. The thought of an afternoon start for a 400 really doesn't sit well in my head.

This is a shame, as I'm missing out on a few of the longer rides to be had.

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:57:53 pm »
I just can't get my head around starting at any other time than as early as possible in the morning. The thought of an afternoon start for a 400 really doesn't sit well in my head.

I did this last year and it isn't such a bad ride. It's a full night out, plenty of time to get there and home afterwards. Shame that it visits Hollies, hell couldn't be so bad.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:33:11 pm »
I did it in 2005  - my first 400 - and mostly enjoyed it, though the weather forgot to warm up again on the Sunday morning, and it started chucking it down when I was a couple of miles from the finish.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:04:30 pm »

I quite like the idea of an early afternoon start.  I'm not quick enough to get round a 400 in less than 24 hours, so it seems to me that the part of the ride where I would be getting tired (16-18 hours) would be when the sun is starting to come up again, which eliminates some of the tiredness.  Only real problem is it definitely takes out both days of the weekend.

The other bonus for us is that we live in the arse end of nowhere, so a 6am start is really a 3am start for us to drive there (there being anywhere).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:17:23 pm »

I quite like the idea of an early afternoon start.  I'm not quick enough to get round a 400 in less than 24 hours, so it seems to me that the part of the ride where I would be getting tired (16-18 hours) would be when the sun is starting to come up again, which eliminates some of the tiredness.  Only real problem is it definitely takes out both days of the weekend.

The other bonus for us is that we live in the arse end of nowhere, so a 6am start is really a 3am start for us to drive there (there being anywhere).
Completely agree. Dawn starts are only good if:
1)You're fast enough to get back significantly before dawn (so that you ride less in the dark). OR
2)You're driving to the start, and live close enough to set off late enough.

I can't see that taking out "all the weekend" is an issue - if I set off for a ride at 4am [for an 0600 start], then finish at 6am Sunday, I am pretty darn shattered for all of Sunday and much of Monday! At least with a midday start I can avoid sleep debt on day 1 of the ride, cos I slept properly on Friday night.

I'm not saying we should never start at 0600, because this benefits the riders mentioned above - I just think it's good to have some events for the other riders.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:29:10 pm »
I think these rides are designed to give full nights riding to give the rider practice at just that as well as the late starts so when one starts PBP at 10pm it is not an alien concept.

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:33:33 pm »
I meant to ride this last year but all the trains were cancelled out of Euston that morning so I couldn't get there :(  (Luckily this happened before we'd left Euston - it would have been far more irritating to have been sat 10 miles up the track for the next hour...)

The weekend before the BCM = no chance.  Maybe another year.

I really like midday-ish starts as it means I can get there without having to fork out for accommodation - 6am starts are a real nuisance if you're relying on public transport.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »
I prefer afternoon starts for 400s, I don't fall asleep during the midnight-to-dawn shift.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:22:06 pm »
My friend and I have both sent our entries off for this event, will be the fourth time we've ridden this.

Like the idea of an afternoon start, gives us time to travel to the start without having to set off from home at some unearthly hour.

Sometimes have a beer at the finish, around 1 p.m.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Air Dancer

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:53:01 pm »
Afternoon starts are great, allowing me to have a lie-in and get a few things out of the way Saturday morn, before making my way over.
The pub control at Bridges is perfect, especially on a warm, sunny evening. The control at Hollies gets busy mid-morn but is okay before that.

« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:56:22 am »
Finished this ride yesterday for my first 400 km event.  I quite like the 1.30 pm start as it meant we could make a leisurely trip up from Anglesey.  The only problem is it means you finish in the middle of the day feeling wiped (rather than the end of the day feeling equally wiped).

The first 70 km ish of the ride was spent in a fairly large group.  After the first control the ride thinned a bit, but I think most people found themselves at the Horseshoe Inn in Bridges around about 7pm.  Unfortunately, they weren't doing food to cyclists (other people were happily ordering & eating) until Sheila arrived to give them a talking to.  At this point they offered to make sandwiches, but we decided to carry on and get hot food elsewhere (Chinese takeaway in the end).  After this, we rode pretty much on our own, seeing other people at most of the controls.

We saw Blade a few times in the ride, but no one else seemed very chatty.

It was a pleasant ride, except for the mental (usually 4x4) drivers near Stockport.  Talking to the teenage drivers at midnight in Ford was a bit surreal - they seemed really quite interested before roaring off in their Novas*.  Hot, but not unbearable so, on the Saturday but it took quite a while to warm up on Sunday morning. By the time we got back to the car at 11am it was searingly hot though.  I was slightly disappointed to get home to find it foggy & raining where I live whilst the rest of the country enjoys glorious sunshine.

I feel a bit tired today, but hopefully will be recovered for the Bryan Chapman next week...

*Blatant sterotype here

« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:15:12 am »
That about covers it.  We were just under 22 hours in the end, with a sub-10 200 at the beginning and a more pedestrian second half.  My arse is a mess though.  400km on the front of a tandem is a long way (as it is on the back too).

Head-down to recover some sleep for the BCM now.  This ride and last weekend have left me carrying a fair amount of sleep debt...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:14:40 am »
Had a thoroughly enjoyable time on this event.

Weather exceeded my expectations, no sign of rain and warm enough to wear shorts throughout the night.

Kept up with the main group almost to the first control and then rode round at the back of the field accompanied by my friend Stuart.

Spoke to Jasmine, who was chauffeured around by Andycox on a titanium work of art. Still not sure how they managed to eat a Chinese takeaway whilst riding a tandem. Titanium chopsticks ? ;D

Usual array of strange characters at Dinkys' Diner and a few more at the A5 cafe as well.

Picked up another riding companion (Tim) at Dinky's who accompanied us to the finish.

Couple of incidents on the way round....

Had a beer can thrown at me from a passing car during the night section near Abermule, came nowhere close though.

Had a conversation with a police officer on the outskirts of Telford. he enquired as to which Audax event we were riding and if it was a 300 or 400k event. He's a local cyclist he said.

At a garage in Middlewich, my friend Stewart said that it was almost hot enough to ride through the car wash. I commented, that as his legs were so hairy he'd better put the extra pound in for the hot wax ;D

Finished the ride at 12.40, my fastest time ever for this event.

At least two other riders finished after me, so I must be getting faster :thumbsup:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

revrob

• YACF 426
Re: Plains 400: Poynton - Stockport
« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:02:01 am »
Anyone signed up for this?

It will be my 2nd attempt at a 400 (first one a couple of years back)

I'm excited at the prospect, but a bit nervous at the thought of cycling through the night!
Pob bendith,

Robert

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »
Are any of my fellow parishioners up for this?

Assuming I finish - I'll be coming back to North Wales on the train - probably without having a shower.
At least no-one will want to sit next to me!
Pob bendith,

Robert

« Reply #17 on: 06 May, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
I've entered (I see I rode half of it with Blade earlier in this topic). Rode Mike's 200k on Monday which doubled my mileage for the year: finishing this one would double it again, but I don't fancy continuing that progression...
Tim

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »
Yes, it will double my longest ride this year as well.
Weather doesn't look too wet - though the breeze may be a touch fresh!
Preparations and faffing about to begin .....
Pob bendith,

Robert