Author Topic: Hailsham 400 - 9th May 2009  (Read 5171 times)

DaveJ

• Happy days
Hailsham 400 - 9th May 2009
« on: 26 April, 2009, 09:52:08 pm »
Here is the route Hailsham 400.

I've been playing with it in Mapsource here.

I'm getting the hang of the Garmin slowly.   I only found one errror on my Routes for the Hailsham 300, so hopefully go a bit better here.  I prefer Routes rather than tracks, but it does make the first stage of this one a bit messy because there are a couple of places where Dave uses cycle routes, so the on-road routing doesn't work.  I've just done tracks for these bits.

Anyone else riding this?

Dave 

Tom

Re: Hailsham 400 - 9th May 2009
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:20:42 pm »
Yes, I'm doing it.  Will be my first 400, so am approaching it with some trepidation, but looking forward to it all the same.  The route looks very similar to the 300.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2009, 10:19:52 am »
I'm in.
7Across weekend before as well!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:42:50 pm »
Looks like I'm in as a late entrant. I'm yet to decide whether to drive down or take the train. Mainly depends on whether I can find some company, so If you fancy a lift from London give me a call.

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2009, 11:30:33 pm »
I should be there.
Not sure whether to ride there or catch a train.
Riding there is easy enough, but if I'm to tired from lack of sleep to ride home afterwards, I may as well buy a return train ticket for a pound or two more.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »
Well, I sort of enjoyed that.  Despite feeling unable to ride another mile after my first 300k a few weeks ago, I actually felt okay after the same distance yesterday and, despite a series of moments in the last 25km, felt better at the end of this one.  The weather couldn't have been any better and there was sterling support from Dave, Sabine and Bob - thank you very much once again.  I clocked about 415km - anyone else get something similar?  Also, does anyone know how much climbing there was? After a fairly relaxed start, it all went mental after Stockbridge and didn't really seem to let off thereafter.

Thanks to Andy Seviour for his tip re: badger avoidance - I stuck to the white line whenever possible and remained badgerless.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2009, 02:04:05 pm »
I have a feeling that you were the revoltingly fast guy. Confess - what time back at Hailsham.
I finished with others at 07.15. YACFers - Teethgrinder and Deneice were the only 2 I recognised - but maybe now I think about it maybe I saw Manotea - were you in a Willesden top?
Total time for me 21.40 ( I forgot that I started a bit early so as to visit daughter who was just off route - but then we missed each other anyway) - a bit slower than  for 7Across.
Mixture of pluses and minuses for me - later start meant proper nights sleep - but later start means riding right thru the night - which seems always to be slower - compensated by a great full(?) moon which hung low in the sky. Dawn chorus - and a good sunrise. Being off normal patch - meant that I rode alone for most of the ride - just seeing guys at controls -- I did need someone to tow me along at times, if I was going to match 7A time.
Excellent ride out to Winchester - along the valley north of the South Downs - very attractive - but then it got a bit lumpy - and as Tom says - the last 100 or so seemed very difficult to me. I do have a track log - and once I have played with it - I will post the climb it shows me.
Chris S - what did 7A show on your log?
There were 27 starters I think - and I heard of at least 2 DNFs. One did 4 spokes - and the other was just exhausted.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2009, 02:55:57 pm »
Chris S - what did 7A show on your log?

3950m.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2009, 03:53:49 pm »
I have just got 3545m of ascent from my log

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2009, 08:07:00 pm »
"Flattish".

H

Manotea

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2009, 11:33:14 pm »
A good run down to the turn at Burgbage (200km) against a medium headwind followed by a rather slow run home. I'm still having problems managing energy levels tho (euphemism for 'eating enough') and I'm probably a month of where I'd like to be fitness wise, which is a worry as it's the Brian Chapman next weekend.  I was going like a train (albeit one propelled by a strong tailwind) at Stockbridge @235 but realised I was running out of calories fast, especially as it was a whole lot colder then I expected. What would I have given for a nice chippy but there was only a co-op in Stockbridge. Bought some lucozade and a big slab of fruit cake with icing (TM: Luke Bream). This stop ensured I was heading for Red Lantern honours. I spent the rest of the ride chasing the tail through the service station controls back to Hailsham. A couple of times I stopped to have a bite to eat and then rejoined the grupetto. It was somewhat frustrating; with food inside me I was going well enough but I simply wasn't eating enough.  Got to sort this out. Amazed to find Teethgrinder at Pease Pottage but he was on a go slow to finish the ride in daylight and catch his train home. A good plan because it was nice and sunny this Sunday morning. I had a cooked breakfast - the only hot food available  - which was disgusting and then a snooze (as you do). Woke up to find myself  all alone and pushed on back to Hailsham to finish the ride. Feeling a tadge sun/windburnt now. Excellent.

Fidgetbuzz, yes it was I in the Willesden jersey. I thought the timing of the event was pretty good, well it suited me. Driving down to Hailsham from West London always seems to take forever - I'll catch the train next time. At least the 10am start meant I could leave at a reasonable hour. I was quite happy riding through the night tho' it would be nicer if it was a bit warmer. Good prep for the BCM I guess when it will be guaranteed to be colder! Those birdies sure do make a racket though!

Davej, thanks for posting the gps route and track. Worked a treat.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:46:49 am »
That is a nice route.  The bluebells are spectcular where the sunlight hits them.

It was a bit of a grind out to Burbage along the A338, but having partaken of the baked beans there, it seemed much easier on the way back.

The moon was only just rising as I came back past past Danebury Hill Fort.  Very strange, the large dark red ball glowing on the horizon.

I met up with Paul on the way back into Winchester, and I stopped as soon as we got back onto the streetlights to eat something.  Paul laid down flat on the pavement to rest.  The looks he got from the passing traffic!  One car actually stopped to see whether there was anything wrong.

Pretty cold overnight.  I was sleepy and stopped for a 10 minute doze as the West Meon petrol station.  Ron was there too.  I was very cold setting off afterwards.  Took 10 or 15 minutes to warm up.  And then a large Capucino and a hot paninni at Petersfield put the worls to rights again.

The A272 was really quiet, I think maybe four cars passed me the whole time I was on it.  The hills and fields in the mist were beautiful after Midhurst, with the predawn light and that big full moon.

Bright sunshine and the crisp morning air back to Hailsham.

Dave

Tom

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:04:51 am »
Fidgetbuzz - I certainly didn't feel revoltingly fast; quite the opposite at times.  I got back to Hailsham at about half two or quarter to three.  The bluebells and the rising of the moon were highlights for me too DaveJ.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:39:53 am »
Fidgetbuzz - I certainly didn't feel revoltingly fast; quite the opposite at times.  I got back to Hailsham at about half two or quarter to three.  The bluebells and the rising of the moon were highlights for me too DaveJ.

Different people different standards.

half two or quarter to three

If my maths is right that is 16hrs 30/45 minutes for a 400. To any audaxer that I ride with that is very very quick - but hey there - well done -- if I could go that fast and enjoy it - then I certainly would too.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2010, 12:09:24 pm »
Anyone know if this will be follow the same route this year as last?
For reference, previous years: 2009  2007.

It looks like we'll be free that weekend, and this looks convenient to get to. We'll need to get applications in ASAP though.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »
Anyone know if this will be follow the same route this year as last?
For reference, previous years: 2009  2007.

It looks like we'll be free that weekend, and this looks convenient to get to. We'll need to get applications in ASAP though.

Largely, but not completely.  One of the fabulous feed stops is elsewhere.  You should be OK if you get the entry to Dave in the next few days.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »
Yes, I'm in. I always enjoy Daves rides. Especially the sugar coated sugary treats, with sugar on the side.

« Reply #17 on: 28 April, 2010, 08:19:43 pm »
Looks like I'm in as a late entrant. I'm yet to decide whether to drive down or take the train. Mainly depends on whether I can find some company, so If you fancy a lift from London give me a call.

Driving down early on Saturday

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:52:01 am »
Hi Liam,

Have sent you a pm. Am also a late entrant and hope to be there assuming still standing after the Wu'ze 400 this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing the bluebells which I understand should be much in evidence, from reading previous years' ride reports.

Cheers,
Pete
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: Hailsham 400 - 8th May 2010
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »
Just noted the 2009 date on this post! Very confusing. assume we are talking 2010 here, so will change it.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »
Just noted the 2009 date on this post! Very confusing. assume we are talking 2010 here, so will change it.

Don't change the title as this was last year's event thread and it's useful for searches.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Manotea

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »

Don't change the title as this was last year's event thread and it's useful for searches.  People should really be posting to this year's thread here - http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32447.0

That's a link to the Invicta 400km 2010. I'm sure FWN will not mind!

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:40:37 pm »

Don't change the title as this was last year's event thread and it's useful for searches.  People should really be posting to this year's thread here - http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32447.0

That's a link to the Invicta 400km 2010. I'm sure FWN will not mind!

Ah, my bad.  Link removed.
The sound of one pannier flapping

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the bluebells which I understand should be much in evidence, from reading previous years' ride reports.

Bluebells might be a bit late this year.  Never mind, there's always the 600 a couple of weeks later.

Dave

« Reply #24 on: 01 May, 2010, 06:06:59 pm »
In a freak tidying incident my route sheet has done a disappearing act.  I've written to Dave asking for another but has anyone plotted it yet?

Liam