Author Topic: Deeside Loop 200km - 11 May  (Read 8017 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Deeside Loop 200km - 11 May
« on: 29 April, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »
Anyone doing this one?  I'll be my first decent ride for a couple of months and I'm looking forward to it.

If you're doing it have you received you route sheet yet?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Deeside Loop 200km - 11 May
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »
This was last year's route, more or less:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Deeside-Loop
I've not entered yet, but I'm planning to do it.

Controls were at Stracathro Hospital: a bit early for a big fry-up but great value. I think other controls were at Ballater and Spittal of Glenshee.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:30:36 pm »
It's tempting but I need more practice before I can sign up for a 200 - maybe later in the year. I'm currently trying to persuade AndyPandy he wants to do the 100km one the same day.....

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »

Controls were at Stracathro Hospital: a bit early for a big fry-up but great value. I think other controls were at Ballater and Spittal of Glenshee.

Indeed they were.  Here's a photo of Eck, Noodley and alanmc at the glamerous Ballater control last year:

Standing in a shop doorway, eating pieces and sheltering from the rain - it was pure great, and I'll be back again this year.  ;D

See you there Kev.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:30:52 pm »
It's tempting but I need more practice before I can sign up for a 200 - maybe later in the year. I'm currently trying to persuade AndyPandy he wants to do the 100km one the same day.....
My goal is to do a 200 this year too CT, but this is way too early. I'm thinking that the Dulsie Dipper on the 23rd August might be more achievable!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:40:36 pm »
Ah, yes, I had been looking at that thinking a weekend away in August would be nice. We're away in France on hols for a couple of weeks in July so I should have some bike legs by then - and in August there should still be enough daylight I would hopefully get back before dark :)

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:44:48 pm »
I'm giving this one a miss this year and heading south to Geordie-land to do Chevy Chase.

Deeside Loop is a cracking ride although there are two rather large lumps to negotiate en route.

PS That has to be 3 of the most unlikely looking clients of a 'Unisex Hair Design' salon I've seen :) ;)

It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »
Deeside Loop is a cracking ride although there are two rather large lumps to negotiate en route.
Yes, Noodley and I will be there.  ;D

PS That has to be 3 of the most unlikely looking clients of a 'Unisex Hair Design' salon I've seen :) ;)
:P :P :P

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:09:34 pm »

Alan looks like he's just been sent out for the messages...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:55:20 pm »
I've entered, although I'm hoping the haircut in Ballater is not obligatory  :P

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:00:19 pm »
Can't confirm just yet - need to wait and see on a possible family visit - but hoping to be there.

Hope for less wintry conditions this year too.

ahem, yes my need for such services has long gone  .... No 1 clipper home job these days - more aerodynamic, you understand ....  :P

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:03:22 pm »

It would appear Eck has decided I am riding, so I'd better turn up.  ;D

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:07:47 pm »

It would appear Eck has decided I am riding, so I'd better turn up.  ;D

Aye, well, I think it's your turn to buy the black pudding rolls at Stracathro. And I thought you looked like you needed another haircut too.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »
Ahh I'm really looking forward to it, now that I know such band of reprobates and renegades will be available for banter and wheelsucking ;-)

After seeing that photo, I think it's no coincidence that Ballater introduced an asbo dispersal zone in late May last year.

Craig

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:57:02 pm »
I've entered the Deeside Loop. Not received the route sheet yet, but I noticed my cheque's been cashed so I'll probably get it soon.
I'm planning on heading up the day before, and staying at the campsite that is rather conveniently close to the start.
I did the 100k last year and it was a nice day out. Mostly fairly flat, and couple of nice cafe stops, I'd recommend it.

« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:07:22 am »
Thanks Craig, given the lack of recent riding mostly flat would be ideal!

We stayed at the campsite last summer & I'd recommend it, but as we're doing the 100 and it doesnt start quite so early we'll probably just drive up in the morning.

« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:22:45 am »
Is the hair salon called "Too Straight" ?

« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:46:41 pm »
I got my one and only (so far) lanterne rouge award at Deeside Loop last year.  Cracking ride, really enjoyed it.

Just felt a bit guilty keeping t'organiser (Alan F?) from an early finish  :(
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:36:29 am »
Anyone else planning on camping the night before this one?  Am I correct in thinking that Lochside Campsite is the one close to the start?

Another question - what do you do with the tent, seeping bag etc when you're on the ride?

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:13:34 pm »
Anyone else planning on camping the night before this one?  Am I correct in thinking that Lochside Campsite is the one close to the start?

Another question - what do you do with the tent, seeping bag etc when you're on the ride?

Yes, Lochside campsite is just a short distance away from the depart.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #20 on: 07 May, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »

Yes, Lochside campsite is just a short distance away from the depart.

Kev,
It is indeed close to the start. The usual start for Forfar events is the Lochside Leisure Centre, immediately adjacent to the campsite. But the Deeside Loop starts at the Rugby Club: people have been known to turn up at the wrong place.  :-[http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Forfar-campsite-to-rugby-club

« Reply #21 on: 07 May, 2008, 01:36:03 pm »
Thanks for the map Eck, I assume the 100K starts from the same place?

I was too late to send off the forms etc but the organiser kindly said just turn up a bit earlier and enter on the day.

And is anyone else doing the 100K or will it be just AndyPandy and I?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #22 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »
I should imagine it will be the same place. It's our club serious training session run to the pub tonight, so I'll find out for sure then. I'll also try to suss out how many "locals" are riding the 100. I'll report back later tonight.

« Reply #23 on: 07 May, 2008, 04:26:29 pm »
Thanks Eck, beautiful night for your pub ride, am jealous!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #24 on: 07 May, 2008, 06:19:32 pm »
Don't be jealous. I'm not able to go now.  ::-) :(

Anyhoo, I've just spoken to Mrs Alan: yes it's the rugby club for the 100 start, and 
they have 10 entries for it. I think there will be more than that on Sunday, including a few Angus CC members, who are notorious for just turning up on the day. Tut tut.