Author Topic: Wu'ze 400  (Read 18369 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wu'ze 400
« on: 04 January, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »
Just looking at the route info here:
Wu'ze 400

I quite fancy it but is it as scary as it looks?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Weirdy Biker

Re: Wu'ze 400
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
Nicely found.  I don't imagine anyone ever thought this ride would be anything other than a very stiff challenge.  The plot of the route backs that up.  I am vaguely tempted, but suspect I'll pass in favour of another event.

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »
Indeed nicely found. I knew it would find all the local sharp stuff, but I'm a bit disappointed about the out-and-back legs, especially the trip north from Beaminster, then back to not far from Beaminster again. Lots of packing potential. :-\

That said, I'd still sign up if it was a dozen laps of Tolpuddle bypass. Gotta support those local rides.

citoyen

Re: Wu'ze 400 (and other southern 400s)
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:41:28 pm »
It's by no means local to me, but my sister lives in Poole so I could use her place as a base. I'm weighing up my 400 options and this is a strong contender. But it does look like a tough one.

I'm not keen to do the Invicta 400 again - it's a nice ride but a) I've already done it twice and b) it's largely on roads that are local to me and that I've ridden many times. I fancy something different and this Wu'ze ride looks interesting. It has more climbing than the Brevet Cymru, which is the same weekend, but I don't have a sister who lives in Chepstow, so the Wu'ze is more appealing from that perspective.

The Severn Across, Denmead and Hailsham 400s are also possibilities. I may even do more than one of them, depending on my form and other constraints.

d.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »
If you don't mind an opinion, each of the Denmead, Severn Across and Hailsham have their good points and their bad points.

Denmead: +fantastic route, -no support on route
Severn Across: +decent field, -feels a 300km ride with a 100km tacked on
Hailsham: +el Supremo support, -not the most interesting route

A pity you've ruled out the Brevet Cymru.  It has all of the + above without the - (oh, no el Supremo but there is a cafe that stays open late and a hired hall on route that allows some kippage.  Possibly the best considered 400 I've done).

« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:57:03 pm »
I'm weighing up my 400 options and this is a strong contender. But it does look like a tough one.

This isn't just a 400, this is a M&S Wessex 400.
Wessex events run by Shawn Shaw have their own character that makes them stand apart from other Audax events.
This will be a ride to remember.

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:03:54 pm »

Wessex events run by Shawn Shaw have their own character that makes them stand apart from other Audax events.

Yup. Some of us old folks remember Shawn Shaw events of old. Don't we, TG?

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »
A pity you've ruled out the Brevet Cymru.  It has all of the + above without the - (oh, no el Supremo but there is a cafe that stays open late and a hired hall on route that allows some kippage.  Possibly the best considered 400 I've done).

Chepstow is a long way from home... though I am considering the BCM.

TG, you've sold the Wu'ze to me. I've never done a Wessex ride before but when I saw the name Shawn Shaw, the alarm bells did start to ring - his reputation precedes him.

d.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:32:12 am »
I'm weighing up my 400 options and this is a strong contender. But it does look like a tough one.

Those familar with the Voyage of the Dawn Treader will be thinking of The Land where Dreams Come True at this point.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:23:54 pm »
Porkers has 6 AAA and this Wu'ze ? thing just 5.25 so not really up to standard ;)
perhaps just a taster :facepalm:
However, those "elevation data" windoze do look a bit inviting yet there are three stages in single figures for m/km climbing (nice to see that on the route sheet).  ::-)
So 3 legs in single figures and 3 legs below 15m/km. That leaves 1 at over 20. :o If you are not careful that could be in the dark 8) I can see this Wu'ze has it's own challenges all right. :demon:

plug

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2010, 03:37:50 pm »
Well tell me if you discover any!  I ride in Wales all the time and the only place I've seen them is at the Builth control  :-[

There is/was a control in a carpark by a lighthouse on some Cardiff 200k ride or other.  The controller/carpark-attendant had some nice WelshCakes.

no BC400 for me this year - I'm going to try this Wu'ze 400 lark instead.

Plug, are you travelling down on the sunday morning for that?*

*any chance of 2's on the petrol for a lift if so?

Yep, no problem...as long as I don't have to cross the Severn Bridge to pick you up :)

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2010, 04:26:11 pm »
Well tell me if you discover any!  I ride in Wales all the time and the only place I've seen them is at the Builth control  :-[

There is/was a control in a carpark by a lighthouse on some Cardiff 200k ride or other.  The controller/carpark-attendant had some nice WelshCakes.

no BC400 for me this year - I'm going to try this Wu'ze 400 lark instead.

Plug, are you travelling down on the sunday morning for that?*

*any chance of 2's on the petrol for a lift if so?

Yep, no problem...as long as I don't have to cross the Severn Bridge to pick you up :)

Brillo pads, it'll be a much longer drive if you don't use the Severn Bridge  ;)

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »
Looking at Wu'ze vs BC400 on Fugawi Digital maps tells me that Wu'ze involves 100m more ascent than BC400. 

That's not a lot over 400km but I suspect the climbing is of a different nature.  I remember a few Welsh climbs that weren't steep but that went on for a very long time.  I don't mind those at all.

It's the "gnarly" climbs, one after another, that take their toll on me. The Wu'ze seems to cut across the grain of Dorset and Somerset.

Looks like I should lose a bit of weight ASAP

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Well, I've been and gone and entered it, thanks to the magic of PayPal.

Looks like I should lose a bit of weight ASAP.

d.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »

:thumbsup:

Although a relative newcomer to the World of Wessex, I can definitely recommend the series of rides that come out of the area.

You may have missed the Primrose Path, it is not too late to get a taste of what lies in store for you on the Wu'ze; April offers the Dorset Coast 200 and if you have 18 hours or so to kill, Mr Loakes' reloaded 3D 300 calendar event at the end of May is no doubt as character forming as it's previous incarnations.

Unfortunately, I will not be there in May but imagine the Wu'ze, if anything like the Porkers, will be a memorable ride with interesting roads sporting some fine views of several counties.

So, with the DC, Wu'ze and 3D under your tyres, you will be in the tantalizing position of having completed two thirds of a Wessex SR. Why not go the whole hog and top out with the Hellfire 600 as a permanent before all those hilly kms ebb away from your (now) case hardened buttocks?

Go on.

There is a badge and everyfink if you can complete all of the above.

H

P.S.
I would not worry too much about losing weight before the ride - just get those lumpy rides in and it will start dropping off you. I lost a stone in weight doing these rides last year.

P.P.S.
As well as the Wu'ze and 3D, there is the Porkers 400 and Hardboiled 300 as perms which are also epic rides.

« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2010, 09:50:19 am »
Having done every one* of Shawn's Wessex events, I suppose I shall have to attempt this one.

*Not quite true in that I haven't tried the  permanent versions of Hard-boiled and Porkers.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #16 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:57:39 am »
it is the well placed respect fear of this ride as prep for the BCM that is hauling me out of bed at silly o'clock on sunday mornings to try and find the fitness I lost somewhere in the cases of Merlot, slabs of cheese and buckets of mince pies that was the festive season!
appearing in a tea room near you

Hummers

« Reply #17 on: 09 February, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »

*Not quite true in that I haven't tried the  permanent versions of Hard-boiled and Porkers.

Ermm, you did the Hardboiled as a perm with me last year.

Have you forgotten or are you just trying to forget?

H

« Reply #18 on: 09 February, 2010, 03:30:18 pm »

H

Er...oh yes, so I did.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 09 February, 2010, 06:03:26 pm »

H

Er...oh yes, so I did.

Short term memory loss?

Rohypnol can have that effect.

Tell me, did you drink from Hummers' water-bottle at any stage?

Unfortunately, I hate to say this but, Rohypnol alone does NOT give you a sore arse nor a sticky face.

« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2010, 06:08:21 pm »
...or make the backs of your knees sticky  ;)

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »
I've tried downloading the zip file with the .gpx route files but it won't extract properly on my PC. Anyone got them available in simple .gpx format?

Not that I'm thinking of entering you understand ..................

Hummers

« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2010, 11:31:28 pm »
Neither zip file seems to unzip.

Still, there is always the routesheet and well spent evenings poring over the map(s) with a home-measure of single malt.

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #23 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:03:02 am »

Still, there is always the routesheet and well spent evenings poring over the map(s) with a home-measure of single malt.

H

Download the latest version of winzip. The trial version will work. He has used the new zipx format.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #24 on: 12 February, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

H

With Shawn's routes it is worth having a close look at the map. The routes are interesting enough to make you wish to know where you are, and often intricate in a way that gps somehow finds difficult.