Author Topic: Wu'ze 400  (Read 18368 times)

TyreTracks

Re: Wu'ze 400
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:29:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

I just went to the winzip site and it is a pain to get the no price version.
In fact it takes longer to go to another web page than download the original file (a few kb).

Does anyone the gps file and could they post it on Bike Trails, Paths & Routes From Over 40 Countries at Bikely.com  or just contact me please via personal message.

I am not going to go through the hoops on winzips site.  That is more difficult than riding a a 200km on the Dorset coast :-).

Or at least more of a pain.

Thanks in anticipation Ron

PS If I get gps file I will post it on bikely :-)

TyreTracks

« Reply #26 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:11:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please find route from Shawn.  He gave me 7 pieces and I stitched them together. Now on bikely

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Wu-ze-wuze-400km-Audax

Regards Ron

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:57:23 pm »
Thanks, Ron - excellent work!

Interestingly, the elevation profile is showing 0m of climbing and 0m of descent. Maybe I will do this on fixed after all.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:09:51 pm »
Thanks, Ron - excellent work!

Interestingly, the elevation profile is showing 0m of climbing and 0m of descent. Maybe I will do this on fixed after all.  ;D

d.

Good luck with that Dave, although you won't be alone..

H

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #29 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:00:02 pm »
Not wishing to inflict pain on others before the event I would point out that one wellknown turner of the pedals did find himself completing a circuit the wrong way around having cast the spell with the words 'no don't wait. Go on. I have my GPS'.
You see dégonfler was the cause of the stop (or two or three . . .) and having the route in as a single trip a contributable factor to the circulation problem.
Wu'ze webpage gives the route in stages to alleviate such a problem.
It's all in the preparation.

Hummers

« Reply #30 on: 20 March, 2010, 07:20:38 am »
Hi Folks,

Please find route from Shawn.  He gave me 7 pieces and I stitched them together. Now on bikely

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Wu-ze-wuze-400km-Audax

Regards Ron

Am I alone in finding the two-horned shape of the route depicted on Bikely bears a remarkable resemblance to the head and ears of a familiar and much-loved family cartoon character.....

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

H

« Reply #31 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:53:40 am »

Am I alone...

You've only yourself to blame.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #32 on: 20 March, 2010, 01:42:06 pm »
Is that why it's called the Wu'ze then?  Wessex U?

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 20 March, 2010, 01:46:55 pm »

There's a prize of free entry for the person that guesses the correct explanation. You really ought to drop Mr Shaw an email...

d.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #34 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »

There's a prize of free entry for the person that guesses the correct explanation. You really ought to drop Mr Shaw an email...

d.

Are you sure that's a prize?
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #35 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
I've emailed three explanations and failed.

WyOwyvern

« Reply #36 on: 29 March, 2010, 04:17:48 pm »
18 days left to get your entries in chaps & chapessesThe Weather: lovely (think of all those Porkers May Bank Holidays of yesteryear) :facepalm:
The moon: it's going to be full and bright!(except for the cloud) ;D
The company: wonderfull (just you most of the time) O:-)
The route: Tremendous, awesome, terrifying :sick:
Finishing: a Wu'ze at last! :smug:
C'mon! You know you want to.
There's no second chances; one off event

WyOwyvern

« Reply #37 on: 17 April, 2010, 11:17:47 am »
:hand: Entry now closed :hand:
You may try to pursuade me that your entry, like homework of old has been
  • eaten by the dog/cat :),
  • used for nesting by the budgie/parrot/hamster/gerbill  ;D,
  • is in the cat litter tray, :(
  • was blown under a bus/car etc etc  :o
Alas no amount begging, sobbing, screaming, kicking, biting, gnashing of teeth etc will get you in. Not even cold hard cash - by the bucketfull - or a thick wad of monetary notes - by the barbagfull - will do it.  :facepalm:
OK perhaps thats going too far and I shall relent a little; if the story is good and you are on the list of Wessex SR's and have been to at least one re-union then I may just accept your late entry otherwise
  :hand: Entry now closed :hand:

Hummers

« Reply #38 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please find route from Shawn.  He gave me 7 pieces and I stitched them together. Now on bikely

Bicycle Path - Wu'ze wuze 400km Audax at Bikely.com

Regards Ron

Am I alone in finding the two-horned shape of the route depicted on Bikely bears a remarkable resemblance to the head and ears of a familiar and much-loved family cartoon character.....

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

H

Uncanny....

H

« Reply #39 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »
So then Hummers,
If we're lucky, we will be greeted at the finish of this ride by the lady wife of the organiser. If the history of rides Wessex dictate the future, she'll have done some monumental baking while we were strugglng over the hills of Wessex.
So, dear Hummers, I look forward to your response, if when you reach the arrivee you are asked,

"Cake?"

Hummers

« Reply #40 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
So then Hummers,
If we're lucky, we will be greeted at the finish of this ride by the lady wife of the organiser. If the history of rides Wessex dictate the future, she'll have done some monumental baking while we were strugglng over the hills of Wessex.
So, dear Hummers, I look forward to your response, if when you reach the arrivee you are asked,

"Cake?"

I suspect such unseemliness that comes with the subsequent explanation following my response would be lost on the lovely and fragrant Mrs Shaw. I fear that I would be asked to leave the Parlour and struck off the Wessex Reunion mailing list for sure.  :facepalm:

As for the event itself, I will not be with you on your foray into pain as I am beering it up in Instow instead.   :P

:'(

H

WyOwyvern

« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
Although as for Toothygrinder the memory is still strong amongst WessexSR's of the finishes of past decades tucking in to cauldrons of veg hotpot, hogsheads of chilli and battalions of home made cakes please note that the Wu'ze finish is at a commercial establishment.
Whilst in a very pleasant spot overlooking the waters of Poole Harbour toward the backdrop of the Purbeck Hills one must temper ones consumptive desires against the varied items of the menu of foodstuffs available.
You still shouldn't go away hungry!

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 25 April, 2010, 02:35:58 am »
Two fine days on tour route checking this one with Mr Shaw.  :thumbsup:

We had joy, we had fun, we saw Wessex in the sun.  8)

But.  :hand:

Thank goodness that I have my eyes on your ride ahead.  :smug:

I am hoping that some of my helpful suggestions for additions to the route sheet will make it in although Shawn did say that 'he would consider them' with a curious look that I couldn't quite fathom...  ???

For example:

1. (From section 5- "At T, L next R (Jack's Lane)"   should now read "At T, L next R (Jack's Lane), look across the valley and say f**k me do we have to go up that"

2. From section 4 - "At X, SO and on to T(A361) where R" should now read "At X, SO and on to T(A361) where R is a really fit bird walking her dog"

3. From section 3 - "At X(A352) SO (descend to FORD!) (use foot bridge to cross)" should now read "At X(A352) SO (descend to FORD!) (use The Force to cross)"

4. And many more.

I won't lie to you.  O:-)

You are going to have a superb 400 and I am envious of this.  :'(

Yes I am.  :'( :'(

You lucky, lucky people.  ;D

H

P.S. Am I alone in sniggering at 'Tor Hole Bottom' as a place name  :-[ ?

« Reply #43 on: 25 April, 2010, 04:44:37 am »
I raise you Bully Hole Bottom, a signpost to watch out for on the final climb of the Brevet Cymru...

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:36:37 pm »
You are going to have a superb 400 and I am envious of this.  :'(

Yes I am.  :'( :'(

You lucky, lucky people.  ;D

Dammit... You're making this very hard for me.

I entered ages ago, and I even got as far as booking my train ticket to Poole, but after going through hell on the relatively benign route of the Invicta 300 a couple of weeks back, I'm seriously doubting my ability to manage a ride of this epic scale (not to mention epic elevation). So I've been thinking that pulling out and doing a safe 200 next weekend would be a more sensible option.

But being sensible is all well and good, and I wouldn't want to miss out on what promises to be a fantastic ride, especially if the weather holds out... I just don't think my body is up to it.

I'm so confused!  :-\

d.

« Reply #45 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:02:16 pm »
Well, I've had a great day out on the Dorset Delight today, and cannot wait for the Wu'ze next week. Arrow not withstanding, this is the start of the proper riding for the year. Y'know, the stuff that's a proper test.  :thumbsup:

Hummers

« Reply #46 on: 26 April, 2010, 12:19:50 am »
Quite so Master Paul.

Dammit... You're making this very hard for me.

Dave, this happens all the time. I can't help it and neither can you. I am a very attractive man and you are only flesh and blood.

Enough said on that for now.

I entered ages ago, and I even got as far as booking my train ticket to Poole, but after going through hell on the relatively benign route of the Invicta 300 a couple of weeks back... blah blah blah

But is sounds like you finished it though, doesn't it?  :thumbsup:

H

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #47 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:41:05 am »
Have entered and recd updated routesheet by email, and am up for it. As a Wessex 'virgin', am not even feeling apprehensive ... (yet).

Who else is actually going for it now?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 28 April, 2010, 11:48:46 am »
Dave, this happens all the time. I can't help it and neither can you. I am a very attractive man and you are only flesh and blood.

Yes, but if you're not actually doing it on the day with the rest of us, that's at least half the attraction of the ride gone. ;)

Not me. I'll regret the decision as long as I live, but I'm really not physically ready for a "proper test" yet.  :(

d.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #49 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »

myself and Lee of this Parish will be there ...also Wessex ride virgins and hoping that our recent Denmead400 and other 300's and 200's will stand us in good stead ...I'm sure it will be a beast of a ride but if we can get round in time then that will be good enough!!
appearing in a tea room near you