Author Topic: Wu'ze 400  (Read 18375 times)

Re: Wu'ze 400
« Reply #50 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »
If you haven't ridden any Wessex events previously the Wu'ze is a good place to start as it seems to include some of the best bits of Hardboiled 300 and Porkers 400. Stage 3 through Winterbourne Stickland to Broadwindsor will take in part of the Hardboiled roller coaster in reverse, with more to come on Stage 6. The overnight control at Drew's place featured on the Brimstone 600 rides and has sheltered/fed many a weary randonneur.   

I'm riding and looking forward to it!!

« Reply #51 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »
Who else is actually going for it now?

Me. Can't wait. Goes past my house at 110km, so no excuses not to.

I know the roads on legs 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 fairly well, and I have ridden similar to leg 3 from my house to Bridport as the first 50k of a DIY. :o Hoping to do those descents before the light fails (but doubt I'll manage it).

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #52 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »
Thanks for the info...Just aiming to keep ahead of the time limit myself , (and obviously trying to avoid going off-route) during the night. If I'm still OK come morning, then the rest should follow. Will carry a few more snacks (eg bananas) than I normally do on standard audax rides, just in case, as hilly rides sap the energy more quickly...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #53 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »
I'm doing it.
Still Just Being...

LEE

« Reply #54 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »
Just hoping to get around it within time-limits but won't be too upset if I finish outside them.

I'm no fan of ultra-steep ascents or descents so I expect I could be walking some hills.

I'll be coming by car, I assume Poole will be a Bank Holiday nightmare, is there any free parking nearby or is it best to park somewhere residential out of town and cycle in a couple of miles?

« Reply #55 on: 28 April, 2010, 02:04:07 pm »
is there any free parking nearby or is it best to park somewhere residential out of town and cycle in a couple of miles?

You're welcome to park at my house in Romsey and cycle to the start with me  :thumbsup:

Can't wait, very excited and more than a little scared.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #56 on: 28 April, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »
is there any free parking nearby or is it best to park somewhere residential out of town and cycle in a couple of miles?

You're welcome to park at my house in Romsey and cycle to the start with me  :thumbsup:

Can't wait, very excited and more than a little scared.

YOU'RE scared ??????

Scampi, I bet you weigh about 9 stone

JH Christ! How do I get out of this ride?

« Reply #57 on: 28 April, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »
I'll be coming by car, I assume Poole will be a Bank Holiday nightmare, is there any free parking nearby or is it best to park somewhere residential out of town and cycle in a couple of miles?

Anecdotal maybe, but Hamworthy and Turlin Moor just up the road aren't the nicest places in Poole. The park & ride just off the A35 might be an option (don't know if it's free). You're welcome to park outside my house and ride the 14 miles to the start...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 28 April, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »
Poole Hospital car park is not free but is close to the town centre (and the likely lair of the Wu'ze). It may not be as full as on a weekday.
I am not a car owner though.

LEE

« Reply #59 on: 28 April, 2010, 03:22:17 pm »

Anecdotal maybe, but Hamworthy and Turlin Moor just up the road aren't the nicest places in Poole. The park & ride just off the A35 might be an option (don't know if it's free). You're welcome to park outside my house and ride the 14 miles to the start...

I reckon I'll drive through Upton, from the A35 roundabout, and find a suitable residential road.  Google Street View shows a few suitable roads within 3km of the start

« Reply #60 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »

Who else is actually going for it now?

Me.

I think I'll be savouring this ride and won't be in any hurry.

Is anyone coming from Milton Keynes way and able to give me a lift home, or most of the way home?
It'll be cheaper to share petrol costs than to catch a train and probably a lot less hassle.

I'm planning on booking a hotel for the Saturday night too, so if anyone wants to share cost and room, let me know.
I'll try for a Travel Inn. They do eat as much as you like breakafasts very cheap, so I can have a good feed before the ride. ;D

EDIT: Now booked at Stoney Lodge Travelodge (on A31) for 1st May

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #61 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:14:46 am »

Me.

I think I'll be savouring this ride and won't be in any hurry.

Quite so.

Although not as experienced as some of the other Wessex SR veterans on this ride, in my opinion, the Wu'ze offers the bold Randonneur a veritable smorgasbord of some of the best bits from Shawn's canon of Wessex rides.

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #62 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:38:40 pm »
I have a feeling that in the wee small hours of Sunday night, grovelling up another climb,  I will be wishing that I had not dined so well at the smorgasbord  ;D
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #63 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
I have a feeling that in the wee small hours of Sunday night, grovelling up another climb,  I will be wishing that I had not dined so well at the smorgasbord  ;D

You're in luck! Mother nature has noticed your plight and taken steps to keep your mind off the pain in your legs and on the pain in your numb fingers and toes. No thanks required.

Hummers

« Reply #64 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »
I have a feeling that in the wee small hours of Sunday night, grovelling up another climb,  I will be wishing that I had not dined so well at the smorgasbord  ;D

Or drawn so deeply from the Wu'ze cup...  :P

Still, here is some incidental music and some ropey pictures to tantalise you:

Your first control. Mr Shaw and I sat outside in the sunshine eating an egg and bacon roll. Note the blue stuff up and above the Red Bus. You may not see too much of this. Postie used these toilets when we were on the Porkers last year. I understand they have only just opened again.

I am sure my hand wasn't shaking at this point.... left through the arched gateway.

Not far to Winterbourne Stickland and The Crown now...

The hills begin:

A welcome sight (in the dark for you) as you will be finally closing in on Springfield House Care and Respite Centre for the Wu'zied.

It's not all uphill; just before the cracking descent to Easton..

It's not all uphill pt 2; just before another cracking descent to Shave Cross..

It's not all uphill pt 4; just before the white knuckle descent to Portisham looking down to the Bredys..

For some, it will feel like it's all been an uphill struggle..

There, not so bad, is it?

But for those of you are still feeling scared......

H

« Reply #65 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:09:12 am »
Good luck to everybody!

Will be with you in spirit and tweets (if you can). 

Enjoy!

« Reply #66 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:31:23 am »
I'll be tweeting until my phone fills with rain or breaks my fall on a dark, gravelly lane (pauldytham on Twitter)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 03 May, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »
Sounds like the Wuzers have better weather than the BC (but a few hours to go for some). Sounds like Paul is getting round OK, maybe not as fast as he'd hoped!

http://twitter.com/PaulDytham
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris N

« Reply #68 on: 03 May, 2010, 02:15:24 pm »
Spoke to Paul earlier this morning - he and Toby were eating chips somewhere.  Paul sounded very tired, and Toby 'looked like he did on LEL'.  I think this is probably a bad thing, but they're getting round.

« Reply #69 on: 03 May, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »
Paul completed at 1450, though no mention of Toby  ??? quote "will be remembered fondly ......just glad it didn't rain"

« Reply #70 on: 03 May, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »
Nice to see you boys are following us hard men. ;)

Rough synopsis:

5hr 110k (stages 1 and 2) to start
dinner at my house just off the route
rode okay but slowly (av about 17kph maybe) for v hilly stage 3
some horror moments at 3am when we were tired and cold in the serious hills before the sleep stop at the end of stage 4
Lost another spoke during flat(ter) stage 5
Found some legs for hilly stage 6
Blatted out stage 7 into a strong headwind to arrive in a reasonable time (Toby went off the front on the A35 to take The Win by 5 mins >:( ;))

Chris - we were fine this morning, but the humour centre of my brain was disconnected from my vocal chords, obviously.

simonp

« Reply #71 on: 03 May, 2010, 06:31:29 pm »
Well done.  :thumbsup:

Hummers

« Reply #72 on: 03 May, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »
It's all jolly exciting.

:thumbsup:

H

Chris N

« Reply #73 on: 03 May, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »
Nice one chaps. :thumbsup:

« Reply #74 on: 03 May, 2010, 07:26:12 pm »
Well done PaulD and co. Thanks for tweets. 

Anyone with news from LEE and Chillmoister?