Author Topic: Moffat Toffee 200km Sun 18th April 2010  (Read 4064 times)

Moffat Toffee 200km Sun 18th April 2010
« on: 05 April, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
Anyone fancy a wee taste of toffee?

It's a good event and the organiser always ensures good weather.  :thumbsup:

I have just noticed that entries close in a few days time, so don't delay, enter today.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Moffat Toffee 200km Sun 18th April 2010
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2010, 11:09:22 pm »
I've entered this and it will be my first time - can you believe that I've never done a ride starting in Gala before.  I'm quite looking forward to it :)

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2010, 08:41:18 am »
Hi Innesh, have a bit of a sweet tooth myself. Hope to see you  there, (well at least at the start). I plan to make maximum use of the time allowed and enjoy the scenery unlike you fast lads at the front.(my excuse for not doing enough miles this winter) In a rush of blood have also entered Mj's 300 and 400 km (well it saved on the postage !) rgds Ian D

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:24:38 am »
I entered this ages ago - so long ago that i couldnt remember whether id entered or not, but megajoules has confirmed my names on the list.

Looking forward to it, definitely a most enjoyable 200k (2 visits to the Glen Cafe and talla the "easy" way!)

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2010, 11:14:39 am »
I've missed this the last few years as I always seemed to be on holiday when it was on but I'll manage to make it this year :).

Top tip - when descending Talla in a group make sure the person in front knows the road. A few years ago the entire group just in front of me followed the lead rider off the road into the rocks and heather causing damaged bikes and heads.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2010, 12:29:09 pm »
The Kamikaze group otherwise known as the Johnstone wheelers went straight on at the bridge just before the descent, glad you were not hanging a wheel. . Its a pity  someone never said this is a tricky section .

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2010, 01:37:17 pm »
Its a pity  someone never said this is a tricky section .
???
Riders a guide do they now need? Able to see for themselves the road ahead, are they not?  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2010, 04:48:26 pm »
Its a pity  someone never said this is a tricky section .
???
Riders a guide do they now need? Able to see for themselves the road ahead, are they not?  ;)

Depends who's in front  :P

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2010, 02:23:17 pm »
Suspect a little irony in Salar's quote Eck as there's always been a big and bold reminder to take it steady on this descent every year since the event first ran but some still seem determined to pit their wits against gravity 8)

Still time to enter and of course as always weather guaranteed :thumbsup:

(also we're back to the full facilities start/finish of the Focus centre)

Its a pity  someone never said this is a tricky section .
???
Riders a guide do they now need? Able to see for themselves the road ahead, are they not?  ;)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2010, 05:12:10 pm »
The last time I did Talla the "easy" way I got a puncture in my front tyre at the cattle grid just before the descent. Changed my tube then started riding down the hill at my customary pace (as fast as possible). At the first bend on the steep section I realised that I'd not reset the brake release lever and I'd bugger all front brake. :-[ Made it down in one piece but it's one of the scariest descents I've ever done.

I'll be taking it easy next time.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2010, 11:36:10 pm »
I'm in.

Looking forward to the Devil's Beeftub in daylight.

Not looking forward to the 4 am kick-off from Darlo...

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2010, 11:47:44 pm »
I've just been plotting the route into memory map and it looks like an awful lot of really nice roads.  I'm looking forward to this :)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »
Its a great route and a great day with that promised organiser weather.
The controls are cakes , toffee , cakes , half pint and a supermarket somewhere as I remember.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »
... cakes , toffee , cakes , half pint and a supermarket somewhere as I remember.

Sound just like your usual audax :)

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2010, 01:49:37 pm »
Still a few cards left for a day of guaranteed weather so please ignore closing date if you fancy a last minute entry for next weeks Moffat Toffee 8)

Cheers

MJ

It's a good event and the organiser always ensures good weather.  :thumbsup:

I have just noticed that entries close in a few days time, so don't delay, enter today.

« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2010, 09:04:00 pm »
 Going down Saturday evening,  don't want to be up before 6am and then drive 100miles.   Anyone doing the same could meet up for food and drink.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »
Hi  MJ ,
Notice a fall of volcanic ash is predicted over the next few days. Will you be getting brushes fitted to the fast boys bikes? That way the route 'll be clear for us slower paced yins following on behind.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:11:19 pm »
Cue Eck regailing us all with a tale of Duncan Peet's Auchenshoogle 200k back in 1982 when he had to fashion an ad hoc snowplough from a coat hanger and a bakers tray to clear his way through the ash, but he still managed round in just over 8 hours. 

G.   

« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
I'm looking forward to when we all arrive back at Gala looking like extras from the Black and White Minstrel Show. However, anyone caught doing music hall numbers in the car park should be facing a lengthy ban.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2010, 08:04:50 pm »
Hi  MJ ,
Notice a fall of volcanic ash is predicted over the next few days. Will you be getting brushes fitted to the fast boys bikes? That way the route 'll be clear for us slower paced yins following on behind.

OK, but if we miss any bits, you'll have your own brush right behind you - in the broom wagon.  :demon:

You won't see me for dust.   :P

« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
Broomwagons not allowed on Audax events. No doubt Mrs MJ has the problem in hand; involves Mr MJ at the front towing a vacuum cleaner  powered off his Schmit hub!

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #21 on: 18 April, 2010, 09:17:49 am »
Well they're off. Just set everyone away into a calm so far grey day but hoping for sunshine later. A bit of dust about but that may just have been from the fast start as they zoomed away into the distance 8)

45 entries and 43 starters so not bad and looking forward to all the tales of adventure when they get back

MJ

Still a few cards left for a day of guaranteed weather so please ignore closing date if you fancy a last minute entry for next weeks Moffat Toffee 8)

Cheers

MJ

It's a good event and the organiser always ensures good weather.  :thumbsup:

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #22 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »
Well that was tougher than I was expecting! Nice route but the way the wind moved round I'm sure we had a headwind for at least three quarters of the ride ::-). Bit of a rain shower on Talla but it cleared up nicely for the Beeftub. Had a good lunch in Moffat but when we came out the rain was tanking down and the temperature had dropped. I'm told it was down to 3 degrees at times and as we were soaked through it certainly felt really cold.

I'd love to do this route again on a warm, sunny day!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #23 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »
I'm in.

Looking forward to the Devil's Beeftub in daylight.

Not looking forward to the 4 am kick-off from Darlo...

:o

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #24 on: 18 April, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »
Well that was tougher than I was expecting!

+1.  Rode most of this on my own, having decided to bounce the Glen Cafe first time.  Good training for the 24 and very hard.  1hr 20mn slower than last year.  Cold, wet and windy, just your normal borders weather in April.  Gave serious thought to not turning right at the Gordon Arms but seemed churlish to not enjoy the only section with a tailie. 

Probably as well that I was on my tod as I was not having the best of days, but spirits were boosted by hooking up with Kev, Innesh, Martin, Valkyrie and Simon at the Hawick control, and having a blether on the occasions I could muster the energy.

Tea and sandwiches at the finish most welcome, even better that they were served by Ian Jackson in a guest appearance.  Lucy seems to have perfected the knack of using the community centre when the weather is foul and her house when its sunny and dry - we can plan accordingly next year! 

thanks mrs & mr megajoules .