Author Topic: Controls in Lochearnhead?  (Read 1862 times)

Controls in Lochearnhead?
« on: 13 April, 2010, 09:12:43 pm »
A question for the Yacf Audax Ecosse fraternity, especially Eck:

Is there anywhere to get a control stamp for a DIY in Lochearnhead?  I've had a look around using Google Streetview and can't see anything, but I think I remember Eck and Noodley stopping for an icecream there on a 600?

R

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Controls in Lochearnhead?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:19:05 pm »
Possibilities: there is (used to be?) an hotel right opposite the A84 / A85 T junction.  There's also a "village store" kind of shop just south of the junction. And ISTR there's a boating sort of centre with a caff, on the A85 just east of the junction,  anna pub a bit further along there. If you keep going east on that road, guess where it takes you?  ;) ;D

BTW, it was St Fillans we stopped at for the ice cream.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »
BTW, it was St Fillans we stopped at for the ice cream.  :)

Aye, we walked into the shop in glorious sunshine and walked out a few minutes later into heavy rain...still, the ice-cream was nice

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2010, 09:51:11 pm »
Thank-you sir!  I see it on Streetview now.  :thumbsup:

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:03:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure the hotel doesn't exist any more, but the cafe in the boating centre is really good - coffee, scones and cake and they're very used to very wet people. If I was going to use it as a control I'd probably check the opening times first.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:11:09 pm »
The hotel burnt down after I stayed in it.  :thumbsup:

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2010, 10:34:04 pm »
The hotel burnt down after I stayed in it.  :thumbsup:

Is that a confession Lord Watson?  ;)

Poursuivant

• a.k.a. Steve Murray
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2010, 09:31:27 am »
I haven't done Mr Poulton's Trossachs Spa Perm for over a year, so might be out of date.

Approaching on the A84 from the south there was the general store/newsagents on the LHS that Eck mentions [open on Sundays too, but perhaps just mornings?] and a few metres further on (also on the LHS) was a Post Office [set back from the road, open M-F & Sat am] right where the A84 and A85 meet.

If either of these were shut (the shop closes for an hour for lunch) then there was a cafe (seasonal) and hotel (I only used it once, when the shop was shut) once you were heading east on the A85 following the loch shore towards Comrie.

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »
When I was looking for somewhere to eat on a weekday in early May last year I found a hotel* a short way up the A85 Eastwards from Lochearnhead, where I chanced upon Messrs Jackson and Hanley controlling on a little day out.  The boating centre was closed - perhaps only open at weekends outside school holiday periods.

* probably the one mentioned by Poursuivant above.

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2010, 02:03:46 pm »
If you are heading up the Ogle the burger bar at the top may do.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2010, 05:37:00 pm »
RJMcB, as a belt 'n' braces, you could always control at St Fillans (our ice cream stop or the big posh hotel) in case Lochearnhead is closed, and then again at Strathyre or Callander, where otherdave enjoyed the Pensioner's Special Fish Tea a couple of years ago.  ;)

You don't have to control at Comrie - more's the pity.  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:03:24 am »
RJMcB if you go into the public toilets , card in hand , yes card .
Stand at the cold water tap , and press it .
You will get soaked head to toe , with the force of water .
Then send your soggy card , in bits , to the validation chappy.
That would be Proof of your Passage through a toilet ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »
RJMcB if you go into the public toilets , card in hand , yes card .
Stand at the cold water tap , and press it .
You will get soaked head to toe , with the force of water .
Then send your soggy card , in bits , to the validation chappy.
That would be Proof of your Passage through a toilet ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D  The chap who was using the conveniences at Lochearnhead today at the same time as me got absolutely soaked by the tap.   ;D  I couldn't help grinning as your post all made perfect sense then Tim.  :thumbsup:

I had a brilliant ride today in the sunshine - VERY warm between Lochearnhead and Callander especially.  This was my first solo 200 - not to imply anything about the conversation of the regular Scottish AUKs, but I had a whale of a time on my own.  I listened to tons of Radio4 I'd recorded on to my MP3 player - Classic Serial, Comedies & Afternoon plays - brilliant.  :thumbsup:  It was a pretty flat route, but there was a fair headwind from Perth westwards.  I still made it my second fastest 200 - I sprinted home from  Dunblane to "get under the hour".  I chose to control at Comrie and Callander instead of Lochearnhead btw, just to take the worry out of it.  The cafe was closed but both shops were open as I passed.  Thanks Eck.

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »
I chose to control at Comrie

You're doomed, all other controls will now be such a let-down and you'll find yourself devising all routes via Comrie... ;)

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
I go through the" C town " sometimes but close my eyes so I dont recall any detail to talk about.
Glad you had a good day RJMcB and saw the famous tap at work???