Author Topic: Denmead 400 Perm - Faccomb(4-1) ride again  (Read 3318 times)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
Denmead 400 Perm - Faccomb(4-1) ride again
« on: 15 April, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »
just for the record .....3/4 of the Faccomb4 (that's 3 of us before you reach for the calculator  ;)) will riding the Denmead 400 this weekend. Departing Denmead at approx 07:30 and filled with Bacon and Egg sarnies for Urban Biker's kitchen (hint hint), myself, Lee and UB will head out for Weston for Tea.  We will of course refuel at the legendary Friar Tuck Cafe in Amesbury and hope for a tail wind as we cross Salibury Plain for Frome.  I'm particularly looking forward to the ride down Cheddar Gorge as it was one of my cycling highlights last year....but not the climb immediately after! Then onwards to Weston for a candle lit table for 3.   Looks like being a fine but chilly route home via Glastonbury, the Blackmoor Vale (home of my Fathers) , the New Forest (home of my Little Pony) and back to Denmead.  For those of a tweeting persuassion I will be logging our passage and snack fest under this very same monica.
appearing in a tea room near you

Re: Denmead 400 Perm - Faccomb(4-1) ride again
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »
Good luck one and all!
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »
Seems we may be lucky with the weather on Saturday (although I only really trust the forecast to be accurate for up to 2 hours in the future).

A fairly light Westerly to WSM, 16degC max, light tailwind through the night and, unfortunately, 4degC in the night.  Shame about a night in the cold but I've done it in the rain and cold before now.  Cold and dry is preferable.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:55:36 pm »
Fare thee well, chaps.  It's a great ride that.  One of my favourite 400s.  Can be fast, too.

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:02:36 pm »
Good luck guys - have a good day(s). That pot-holed road out of Shaftesbury has been re-surfaced now  :) I enjoyed last year's ride so will read the 'blog' with interest. Say 'Hi' to Weston pier(less) for me. Mags.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:05:10 pm »
I wish I could do it all and join you but alas, I cannot.

Have a grand day out chaps.

H

P.S. What time do you reckon you'll be back in Denmead? I may be out walking the dog in that vicinity...

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:15:50 am »
P.S. What time do you reckon you'll be back in Denmead? I may be out walking the dog in that vicinity...

if you and your 'dog walking friends' are free we should be back sometime around 6:30 to 7:30. you can always drop me a text and come out and meet us for the ride in :-)

Hummers

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:58:52 am »

..... you can always drop me a text and come out and meet us for the ride in :-)

I did consider that too but have already committed to go out with my mate Steve out to New Alresford in the afternoon to meet the CTC A ride for afternoon tiffin.

If you can, send us a text when you have more of an idea of your finish time and I may be up there to wave you in.

H

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:02:28 am »
Have a great ride Chillmoister, Lee and Urban_Biker!  Will hand over the twitter baton to Chillmoister after my FNRttS. 

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »
Missing Faccombteer speaking. Good luck, again the Denmead 400 is missed.

Light a candle for the missing comrade at the table in Weston .

Will keep in touch.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »
Missing Faccombteer speaking. Good luck, again the Denmead 400 is missed.

Light a candle for the missing comrade at the table in Weston .

Will keep in touch.

We'll eat some beans on toast on your behalf.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »
400km is a long way.

That felt like 200km out to Weston and then 400km back to Denmead.

The 100km stage from Podimore Services to Ower Services (10pm -> 4am) is a seemingly never-ending ride and it was very cold last night.  Luckily the staff at both places allowed us in to get changed and keep warm.

The staff at Ower are familiar with us now (and the term "Audax").  We sit on the floor, eating and drinking, whilst they step over us and go about their job.

High points:

1 - The decsent of Cheddar Gorge.  Stunning in warm sunshine.
2 - Riding through the New Forest at 3am on some of the only well-surfaced roads in 400km
3 - Finishing.  I'd forgotten how far 400km is.
4 - The weather during the day.  It was perfect, 100% perfect.  Sun on our backs and zero wind.
5 - Finding out that the Cafe at Weston was licensed and served Bitter Shandy with awesome Cod and Chips.
6 - Chillmoister eating a Maccy-D Chicken Burger meal in Frome, tearing off the competition sticker on the side of the box to reveal he'd won another Chicken Burger.  Naturally most people would save such a prize for their next visit, but most people don't cycle 6 hours to get there.  Fortunately, for the health of Chillmoister, his winning streak ended there.

Low points
1 - Some of the road surfaces.  It's a disgrace.
2 - The night-time temperature.  It was OK at first but, at you get into the body-clock "dead zone", (around 2-4am) it took hold of my feet, through my winter boots.  Frost on the cars and fields as sun came up.
3 - A 100km stage.  There really is nothing in the way of comforts on that stage and you need to be wary of carrying enough food and water.  The lanes require a great deal of concentrations in the dark and slow you down considerably. I don't think the BCM600 stretches to a barren 100km stage does it? I thought we'd never get to Ower.

That first 200 was superb though, my favourite long ride I think, just choose a warm night for the 2nd 200.

« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2010, 06:59:55 pm »
I rode the calendar event last year, and did a sneaky diversion between Podimore and Ower via home which added 6km but broke up that 100k nicely. It worked extremely well. :thumbsup:

If you boys ride this again next year give me some notice and i'll either come out and ride it with you or just put on a late night 'secret control' if you want some supplies and a warm up.

Hummers

« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »
Sorry I couldn't make it to greet you at the end.  :-[

As it happened, I didn't get to bed until about 4 so was not able to do much in the way of anything at all by the time you rolled in to sunny Denmead.

H

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »
I rode the calendar event last year, and did a sneaky diversion between Podimore and Ower via home which added 6km but broke up that 100k nicely. It worked extremely well. :thumbsup:

If you boys ride this again next year give me some notice and i'll either come out and ride it with you or just put on a late night 'secret control' if you want some supplies and a warm up.

That's a kind offer but I really don't think we'd have left your house last night.  If it were my own house then I know I would have DNF'd.

Urban_Biker  and Chillmoister at Romsey/Kimbridge, 2 hours into the ride (they didn't look quite this cheerful 22 hours later)

After a cold start, it really start to warm up.  Layers were shed at Heytesbury

A warm evening arrival into Weston Super Mare

Chillmoister modelling the Orange YACF Jersey (blissfully unaware that, 8 hours later, he would soon be wearing most of the things in his Carradice)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:58:39 pm »
it's a strange world this Randonneuring lark particularly on the rides over 200k  ....and at 2am in a wiltshire country lane, with the temperature near zero and being pounded  by a road surface that's completely shot one really does start consider the motivation for doing this....the main thing that keeps me going at those moments is the desire to be in France next year, with all of the Faccomb crew and be part of the whole carnival that is PBP .....and the thought that I can eat as many sarnies and buns as I like  ;D.

the Denmead400 is a great ride .....the first 200 out to Weston on Saturday was probably as good as it could ever get.  It was a pretty nippy start and I got cold toes in my new bling shoes but toughed it out for the sake of fashion rather than cover them up with overshoes!  The tradditonal F4 sarnie break outside the Bear and Ragged Staff (approx 50k) arrived pretty quickly and so too the feed at the Friar Tuck Café.  Only in audaxing can one’s most frequesnted café be 80k from home!  

The weather was really warming up now and the fairly tedious trip across Salisbury plain was made more bearable with the absence of any headwind.  Frome marks the end of that stage and I was led astray by UB and Lee dragged into the dark world of McD’s which I normally steer well clear of, though has to be said that the Mc Chicken legend really hit the spot as did the chipd and as did the banana  shake ..and the Mc Chicken sandwich I won ….no wonder I don’t lose any weight on these rides!  I also picked up some knee length thermal socks from Sainsbury’s next door to provide that must have 2010 audax fashion look of bib knickers and socks ….you know you want to ;-).

Now for the best part of the ride in my view …Frome to Weston via Cheddar …..rolling country lanes and the drawn out anticipation for the start of the Gorge ..this part of the ride is worth the ticket price alone (and that's only £2 forthe perm card!) just for the descent down Cheddar Gorge.  I did try and persaude Lee and UB to go backup for another ride down!  It’s long hard climb out of the Gorge but one soon drops down onto the levels and eventually join the last mile or two of the coast road into Weston.

It’s great to have a proper destination on a big ride and Weston fits the bill very well ….it was in full English seaside town mode ....boy racers on the seafront, grumpy parents with grumpy kids and far too much pale and sunburnt skin on display.  However the Oxford Corner Cafe did serve up the best fish and chips I've had in years ....with the extra bonus of a pint of bitter shandy. We were joined in Weston by my brother John ….who had used the dark side, i.e. a two wheeled contraption powered by the infernal combustion engine,  to come out from Corsham to wave us on our way for the return 200.

So after loading up with sarnies from Tesco we set off across the Somerset levels occasionally looking over our shoulders at a beautiful sunset , arriving at Glastonbury with just enough light to spot the tower on the tour. Onwards to Podimore, this time the door was open, so no lurking on the forecourt in the cold like last year,  for a refill of water and some more snacks and coffee.  Unfortunately I decided that two double shot coffee’s was the ideal boost …but not so as I spent the next hour feeling I was either going to throw up at any moment or needed to lie down and go to sleep.  Luckily I resisted the urge to do either and eventually after an hour of misery felt ok again.

It seems like an interminable 100k between Podimore and Ower services:  it all becomes a bit of a blur but the climbs before Gillingham , Shaftesbury and after Downton  provided a bit of nigh time entertainment to help drive away the cold!  I think we also discovered the ‘worst road surface in Britain’ as we road down the Chalk Valley between Berwick St John and Coombe Bissett.  Truly shocking and a real pounding for 20k.

The New Forest section to Cadnam was very quiet …no ponies on the road , better road surfaces, a few degrees warmer…. and shorter than I remember …..last year I had a dreadful episode of the dozzies on this section ..almost falling asleep on one of the downhills.  From Cadnam it’s not much further to Ower.  As Lee said in his ride report …the staff working the night shift at Ower are quite used to cyclists arriving in the early hours even asking if we were on an audax. I stayed off the coffee this time and went for a hot chocolate and a pasty as fortification for the 50k to Denmead.  It now felt very cold back on the bike but at least the climb from Ower towards Romsey got the blood going again …time to dig in and wait for the sunrise to raise the spirits.

Eventually a very watery looking sun was spotted by Lee rising over the trees just after Swanmore …it was enough to make the frost sparkle in the fields!! Finally back in Denmead ….receipts collected and the clock stopped ….23hours, 25mins …not too shabby.  After tea and toast at UB’s it was just one final leg home to Pompey …16k at a very leisurely pace.  It seemed very fitting to finish the ride tucking into the remains ofsarnies from my Carradice larder on a bench on Southsea seafront mulling over the ride….coast to coast to coast. Next stop the Wu’ze 

Second Breakfast

Evening sun over Weston

take me to the Cafe

Sunset over the Somerset Levels

LEE

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2010, 11:20:47 pm »
Good ride report.

I'd forgotten about my burst of energy from Ower Services up the hill.  I was shaking like a leaf stood on the forecourt, that hill is ideally positioned for a 5 minute warm-up routine.

You know you're cold when you are praying for a hill climb.

« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2010, 01:50:52 pm »
I think we also discovered the ‘worst road surface in Britain’ as we road down the Chalk Valley between Berwick St John and Coombe Bissett.  Truly shocking and a real pounding for 20k.

You were following in my wheeltracks as I had been down the length of that road on Saturday afternoon.  It must be the effect of riding in the daytime as opposed to doing it at night, but for me it was warm, the sun was shining, the birds singing, and it was 20kms of car-free carefree pure cycling heaven and I didn't even notice any rough roads.

However if you stopped at the B&RS pub it sounds like you might have gone along Kimbridge Lane, now that one is a disgrace.

Glad you all had fun.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...