Author Topic: 180 Miles in a day! Are you up for it?  (Read 1681 times)

Treaderz

180 Miles in a day! Are you up for it?
« on: 17 April, 2010, 01:43:24 pm »
I am looking for a total of 100 riders to take part in a fund raising event for 'Help the Heroes'.

The challenge will be Scunthorpe - Wootton Bassett on the 14th August this year.

There will be full route marking, feed stations every thirty miles, support vehicles, return coach travel (bikes in vans) and a souvenir cycling top.

The cost to enter is £45 per person and we ask that all riders raise by sponsorship £200 for the charity.

For further information check our website Scunthorpe Treaderz or for an application form email me at matthew_john_porter@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers for reading

Matt

Re: 180 Miles in a day! Are you up for it?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »
Can you find out how much of the £245 acutually goes to the charity?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2010, 03:41:33 pm »
The Treaderz website states the entry fee pays for the event and all sponsorship (ie the £200+) goes to the charity...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:16:10 pm »
Really odd number 180 miles.

It is not quite a double century and just shy of a metric 300.

I suggest that you lengthen the ride by by a few km, lower the entry fee to about £5 and drop the sponsorship requirement - then you might get a few nibbles from here.  As described above, your 'major endurance' event only qualifies as a dart.  (Not even an arror).  However if you made it circular (rather than just one way) it would simplify logistics.

Just an idea.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »
For anyone except the audaxers, 180 miles into a probable headwind would be off-putting enough.  Even without finishing at Bassett.  I might just be able to do it, but I'd be a physical wreck afterwards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »
Interesting to compare this event with The Elenith which is taking place today, a 300km circular route in Wales with significant scenery. The Elenith entry fee is £8 but if you eat at the controls you can easily spend £25 on food, plus the expense of getting to Kidderminster and no support. On that basis the Trederz costs of £45 including food and a coach home looks like a good deal if you're from Scunthorpe. Its not surprising that they had to make it a one way trip as 360m/580km over two days is a fairly big ask for most. Good luck to them. Lets remember its a charity event.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »
They should also do a self supported arrow version of the event, where anyone can go from anywhere, as long as it's 180 miles

When I first came across this event on another website (bikeradar istr) I answered the question "are you up for it?" by listing all the 300km+ events I plan to enter this year.  At that point Mr Porter seemed unaware of AUK.

It does somewhat piss on your chips if your USP is being a long event and there are dozens of longer ones all over the country.

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »
I'm up for 180miles in a day, at least I could be by the time this comes around. I doubt I could raise £200 in sponsorship for Help the Heroes though. The cost of the event doesn't seem too bad I presume all food is included in the price. Not for me though. Good luck to the organisers.

Treaderz

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:21:08 am »
Hi I will try and answer some of the questions posted;

Ride Cost £45

Insurance + Route Signs + Admin + Car parking£5
Feed station food and drink £10
Hot Meal at Wootton Bassett £10
Return Coach £15
Diesel for support crew £5
Cycling tops for every rider - free donated by local sponsorship.

180 Miles - we are a Scunthorpe Team and this years charity is Help for Heroes
and thought War Memorial in Scunthorpe to War Memorial in Wootton Bassett would be appropriate, no other reason.

I did think that 180 miles in a day as a fully supported route, signs, feed stations, broom wagons, mobile first aid etc would still be one of the longest fully supported rides in the country. I am open to future suggestions and alterations. Cycling is a community and am trying to organise this on my own and organise my wedding next week is tough, so if anyone wishes to assist I would be more than greatfull.

I am personally paying my own £45 entry for the event, I believe in fairness when it comes tho this kind of thing, if I could do the event any cheaper, I would.

Thanks for Reading
Matt