Author Topic: New Forest Excursion 9th May 2010  (Read 1707 times)

New Forest Excursion 9th May 2010
« on: 19 April, 2010, 10:07:49 am »
This will be my first 200. I have my routesheet and at the end of yesterday's 100km ride going out and doing it again felt vaguely plausible, so I'm now looking forward to it.

The family are coming for a spot of seeing ponies on the Saturday and we'll be staying over nearby.

See some of you there?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: New Forest Excursion 9th May 2010
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:12:28 am »
This will be my first 200. I have my routesheet and at the end of yesterday's 100km ride going out and doing it again felt vaguely plausible, so I'm now looking forward to it.

The family are coming for a spot of seeing ponies on the Saturday and we'll be staying over nearby.

See some of you there?

Not this year but you have chosen an excellent 1st 200.

John's rides are normally well supported and always well organised.

H

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2010, 11:27:23 am »

See some of you there?

Not this year but you have chosen an excellent 1st 200.

John's rides are normally well supported and always well organised.

H
+1
An excellent 1st 200k and plenty of super food at the finish for restoration purposes  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2010, 11:50:58 am »
It was my first 200k in 2008. I've since completed an SR including the Bryan Chapman.

Its a great place to start. Superb countryside, relatively flat, although there are more hills in the New Forest than you might think. Also pray for light winds as parts of the forest are pretty exposed. Most of all have a good time!
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2010, 11:56:09 am »
Agree with the above comments, it's a great choice for initial 200km.

I think that's the ride that goes DOWN the ornamental drives, blasting down there is a real high point of the ride.  Can't remember any climbs of significance.

There's a good "Bail-Out" point if you need it, around the Beaulieu loop 120km-150km, but it's a nice easy 200 really, lots of nice scenery (I don't mean hills in this case) and even a Seaside cafe stop.

I'm sure you'll love it.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2010, 01:05:05 pm »
Yep as above , but also learn to love horses and cattle grids  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »
I did it and enjoyed it :thumbsup:

I got the longs out top and bottom again as it was a bit chilly, but it stayed dry. The forest countryside is more varied than I remember, with fewer foals than I expected but more wooly cows, and about the right number of donkeys, deer (1) and cattle grids. It was good to chat to Nik Windle early on, and although I did a lot of the ride alone got chatting at controls to the same people as a few of us were doing similar paces. The leg including ornamental drive is rather flattering, and a nice boost as I got out of my 100km comfort zone. The leg from Lepe was a struggle - I had taken a while to eat at the control and got cold, was getting tired and hit a head wind. The last control's cake and the prospect of the finish got me going again. After some food at the finish I took it very gently back to my hotel, where I struggled to get more food and a pint down before bed. That pushed me out of my comfort zone, and I'm pleasantly achy today, but I'm feeling pleased with myself.

(edit) ... I know its not a race and all that, but I got back inside my personal 12 hour target, which was nice.

I've never met him, but thanks and get well soon to John Ward (organiser, who wasn't there) and thanks to everyone involved in running the day and riding with me.

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »
I had a good ride too.

I started out from home at 6am, a brief step outside confirmed that gloves and leg warmers would be required (they stayed on all day).  I had a very pleasant run to get to Lymington at about quarter to eight.  Lucky enough to see a couple of groups of deer in the early morning quiet.

Although the promised sunny spells didn't really make an appearance, it was a good ride, especially the bit out to Cranborne, which was adorned with bluebells, as was the bit past Exbury.

It was noticeable how the lack of sun kept the roads and cafes quiet. Lepe was absolutely deserted compared to last year when it took ages to bet served.  So a silver lining at least  :)

The wind from Lepe to Acres Down wasn't as bad as expected.  What a brilliant control this was.  After a few minutes I was joined as planned by the rest of the family for more tea and cake, then it was an easy few miles home directly from Acres Down to Romsey, taking in some more wildlife (some huge porkers at Furzley).

So that was that, back at home by not long after 6 with about 145 miles on the clock.  A very enjoyable day awheel.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »
then it was an easy few miles home directly from Acres Down to Romsey, taking in some more wildlife (some huge porkers at Furzley).

Do you never finish the actual ride Scampi? Ah, but I remember now, you did finish the Wu'ze the weekend before  ;) Cleverly designed so's it didn't go through Romsey!
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »
Do you never finish the actual ride Scampi?

I'm very proud of my record of DNF's  :)
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »
Anyone know what's wrong with John?; trust it's nothing bad. One of the very best chaps and organisers, makes everyone welcome and shares his enthusiasm.

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:33:13 pm »
I gathered at the weekend that it was eye problems and the cure involved not moving.