Author Topic: High Easter/ECCA 200 3rd May 2010  (Read 1952 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
High Easter/ECCA 200 3rd May 2010
« on: 24 April, 2010, 11:41:59 am »
Anyone else doing this? Does anyone know where I can find a gpx file for it.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: High Easter/ECCA 200 3rd May 2010
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:07:27 pm »
Anyone know whether entries on line are OK - dont seem able to contact Kieron - and no e-mail address.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »
This is a fab ride, I recommend it very much - but make sure you start the Audax and not the time trial which is going on at the same time...

The route is flat n fast and generally the lead group is round in well under 8 hours (in fact last year just over 7 hours if I recall correctly, though we were ripped to pieces by some girl who flew along at >30km/ hr leaving many of us looking rather wild eyed by the end).

I would love to do this ride again this year but am doing my first 400km on the Saturday instead.

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:56:05 pm »
And does anyone have a .gpx track of the route or failing that, would be prepared to e-mail a copy of the routesheet?

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »
Anyone know whether entries on line are OK - dont seem able to contact Kieron - and no e-mail address.

Details emailed to you.

Sorry, I don't have a GPX of the route myself but it is the same route as last year.

K

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:17:12 pm »

Details emailed to you.

Sorry, I don't have a GPX of the route myself but it is the same route as last year.

K
Great Keiron, thanks.

Anyone save a track from last year?

bloomers100

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2010, 04:27:11 pm »
My route sheets came today I will, rode it last year so should be able to make a gpx. Will report back when done.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:33:37 pm »
Seen the forecast? Wrap up warm folks!

Brrr...

bloomers100

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »
Right, I have plotted the route and downloaded it to the pooter I selected gpxx first cos I have 705 and I down loaded gpx too. gpxx seems about a quarter of the size of the other one, not sure why, can anyone suggest a reason?

pm me if you want it emailing, I'll put a caveat on this tho that I'm new to gps, dont hurt me at the end if I've ballsed it up but it looks right to me.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »
I may be able to do this as recompense for being forced to DNS the Brevet Cymru. Keiron - would I be able to turn up on the day and EOL?

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2010, 08:45:36 am »
A nice ride, lovely route. First 50k or so into a headwind but with a small group containing a few Sudbury riders amongst others. Pete Turnbull joined us halfway to the first control. We got caught in a hailstorm which was painfull! A quick stop for tea and then off again, this time with a slightly bigger group. The group split after a while and I found myself with Pete Turnbull and a couple of other chaps for the remainder of the ride into the second control, aided by a decent tailwind.

A quick couepl of sarnies and a pint of orange squash and we were off again. The chaps I was riding with before set about mending a puncture so I set of with FidgetBuzz for the next section. Was good to see him again and we had a good chat (don't think we'd seen each other since LEL) and made decent progress, again with the wind. About 50k in, I had a little bit of a bad patch on a long drag and FidgetBuzz opened up a gap of about 100m on me. Sod's Law quickly ensued and he carried where the route went left. I shouted but with the wind, he didn't hear me. I didn't have the energy to chase him down, and figured his GPS was routing him anyway so he'd probably get back on route shortly.

I struggled on until Ingatestone where I had a 20min stop for a sarnie. I figured I may see Mr Buzz appear at the crossroads but, despite a few others going past, I didn't see him. I carried on and, just before the last info, I turned back into the full force of the wind. I wasn't hideous, but enough to make the last 30k a struggle.

Got back to the control and was pleasantly suprised to find my time was 9hrs 50mins. My fastest 200 (I've ridden 200k faster but as part of a longer event).  :thumbsup:

Anwyay, many thanks to Keiron for allowing my EOL and for a great route. And to Bloomers for mailing me the his GPX for reference.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:29:18 am »
 So that was what happened - I overshot by about 200 yards - turned round and took right road - assumed you were a little in front - but then never saw you - so wondered whether you had punctured behind me just before the route error - and were still behind.
Curious that we never made contact again I finished with 9.40 total time I seem to remember  ( 9.13 moving time)- and then went quickly to car to drive home. I got passed by Andrew Deaner, the 3 guys together who had stopped for a broken spoke - who then repassed me - and I can not remember anyone else. Ingatestone - I just went straight over at cross road in centre - obviously missed you.

bloomers100

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2010, 06:19:50 pm »
undoubtedly I was in your presence, I entered the cafe when the Sudbury guy on fixed was getting ready to leave. A long day for me as I was chaperoning my brother on his first audax, I think the wind took it out of him. Still lovely tailwind for what seemed like most of the route. Hope the gpx was okay there was a small error that I emailed you about, hope you picked it up. we got in at 1950 to an empty hall being hoovered by the caretaker, thats when you know you took a long while. an enjoyable day out and 140 miles door to door.

« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2010, 06:46:46 pm »
.............. Still lovely tailwind for what seemed like most of the route.
You must have been on a different ride - from what I remember, the damn wind was in my teeth all day long (or that's how it felt!) Mind you, it was very much a "jour sans" for me; I hung on to Brian Mann's wheel (he of the CC Sudbury on fixed) as long as I could but the elastic snapped climbing out of Wethersfield and I never got back on. Fidgetbuzz came up and kindly towed me into Tubby T's. I bounced the Castle Hedingham control since the route went past my house a mile and a half later, so I called at home for tea and scoff, and to fettle the front mech a bit. The world and his brother must have gone by while I was slumbering in the kitchen because I was on me own the rest of the way after that.

Hope the gpx was okay there was a small error that I emailed you about, hope you picked it up.
Didn't get the mail but I realised I was adrift on the way to the first info when the road turned into a bridleway! But it all worked out in the end.

we got in at 1950 to an empty hall being hoovered by the caretaker, thats when you know you took a long while. an enjoyable day out and 140 miles door to door.
That was the only disappointment of the day (apart from that wind, oh and the stinging hailstones!) I had been looking forward for ages to the magnificant spread I'd seen at the start, only to find it all hoovered up and almost everyone gone by the time I grovelled in - the price of ploddin!

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
I knew you were thru Castle Hedingham quickly - but did not realise it was to go home - so for mile after mile after mile from CH onwards I kept thinking I wonder if I will see that red helmet cover in the distance !! No wonder I was disappointed.

- as for doing a ECE - starting and finishing at home - and having a stop at home for a rest and good grub- that seems quite a bonus - perhaps we should make your place the control - and then we can  have a party !!

See the new format for audax - postulated on the Seething thread - no hard riding crap - just party all around the country.

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »
I knew you were thru Castle Hedingham quickly - but did not realise it was to go home - so for mile after mile after mile from CH onwards I kept thinking I wonder if I will see that red helmet cover in the distance !! No wonder I was disappointed.
I must admit I did have a quiet chuckle later when it occurred to me that you might be chasing me behind you as it were!

.... having a stop at home for a rest and good grub- that seems quite a bonus - perhaps we should make your place the control - and then we can  have a party !!
The downside is that you always end up spending far more time stopped at "the control" than you otherwise would!

See the new format for audax - postulated on the Seething thread - no hard riding crap - just party all around the country.
Yes, I've read that. Rather jealous and disappointed I shan't be able to do that one.