Linked Events

• Across Rondda 100km: 26 May, 2010

Author Topic: Across Rhondda 100km Coryton 8th May 2010  (Read 1578 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Across Rhondda 100km Coryton 8th May 2010
« on: 26 April, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »
Ride out through the Vale of Glamorgan to Bridgend Industrial Estate.  Quite easy riding on mostly quiet roads.

From Bridgend we enter the Across Rhondda section which is very hilly.  You climb the Bwlch and Penrhys to a deserved cafe stop in Ferndale. 

One big hill remains climb from Bleanlechau up to Llanwonno and down to Ynysybwl.  Then back to Cardiff.

------

My other ride, Ride Round Rhondda 200 will not accept any entries this year. Nobody has entered so far so I will not run the event. Appologies to anyone whose entry crossed in the post. There was work I had to do this weekend and with no entries I was not going to do it.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
Re: Across Rhondda 100km Coryton 8th May 2010
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:23:53 pm »
Do people not like hills?  ::-) I was going to ride the 200k I just wasn't organised enough to get my entry in yet, that's a v big pain indeed, I'll have to get a perm sorted ASAP now...

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:15:23 am »
My other ride, Ride Round Rhondda 200 will not accept any entries this year. Nobody has entered so far so I will not run the event. Appologies to anyone whose entry crossed in the post. There was work I had to do this weekend and with no entries I was not going to do it.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I was going to put my entry in the post today on the way to work.  Is there any way I can do that as a permie on the the 8th? I'm short of time for the month of May and the 100km will be too short.
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2010, 07:22:26 am »
If it's a perm, I'll 2nd that. I'll send an entry for the 100k today, hoping to negotiate double the pain later... 

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:04:56 am »
Ride 'Round Rhondda doesn't work as a perm.  It has secret controls and manufactured infos to ensure that riders benefit from the hilly goodness.

RRR takes a lot of work for an individual who does not drive to set up.  I am happy to do it but I simply do not have the time next weekend.  If I had the entries I would have visited the controls last Saturday and hung little signs up to create infos, bully someone into being a secret control and order an excess of Brevet cards for the late entries.  Without any entries I can not second guess the number of entries I might have or not.

It may be for the best. This ride would have been BRM this year as we wanted to make all our Cardiff Byways rides qualifiers.  Some people would have found RRR a really big ask at standard Audax speeds.  It is generally regarded as tougher than the British or Plynlimon Polka.

RRR will not be run at all next year.  I plan to run it and the British on alternate years. The main problem RRR has with entries is its date.  Particularly this year when the strong South Wales riders are trying to qualify for PBP.  The past couple of years the Brevet Cymru is on the first week,  The Bryan Chapman is now in the third week.  So there are three hard rides on consecutive weeks, few riders want to do all three and others will not get three weekend passes from swmbo.  So RRR suffers for numbers.  Add to this the vandalism done to the AAA competition so RRR does not currently have a place in calendar.

You can try and ask IanH my regional boss in the Audax hierarchy to order me to run the event.  I do not have time to setup the event on Saturday or Sunday but next weekend is a bank holiday.

Rollapaluza Bag Boy

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »
I am up for riding this event I'm always a last minute entry due to such things as work!demand mr h to get this event running preferably the 200 version! Count me in though

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »
I've given up hope on RRR so my entry for the 100k is in the post :-[, I guess I could do an ECE from Abergavenny going over The Tumble and The British on the way to the start, IF I really wanted to stretch myself that much

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:03:58 am »
Some of you may know that my computer at home with all the route sheet details on has been broken for the past two weeks.  I pleased to say I have finally managed to fix it.  Route sheets will be posted on Tuesday morning.  [I will add first class to second class envelopes].  I appolgise for the delay.  The computer failure was unexpected (although my fault, if it is not broken don't fix it).

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:25:01 pm »
At this moment I have spare Brevet cards so entries on the line will be accepted. At least for eight riders.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:09:29 am »
Thankyou to the six.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:18:52 am »
One sixth of the pleasure was all mine ;D

Rollapaluza Bag Boy

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:59:46 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed those climbs had some great company and felt like a lord in the hotel start. How many audaxs can you get a free newspaper to take home -poops was I not supposed to do that hope to ride your other audax later in the year