Author Topic: My first audax, the Hop Garden 100km  (Read 2879 times)

brownster

My first audax, the Hop Garden 100km
« on: 10 May, 2010, 09:04:57 am »
Did my first audax yesterday, the hop garden 100km, very enjoyable  ;D
The rather steep Holly Hill at the end was a bit of a challenge on already tired legs but I managed to grind my way up there on my trusty old racer! How I wanted more gears I can tell you....

All in all a great day out, the route sheet was clear and easy to follow with some lovely lanes and can't wait for the next event now.

Cheers,
Wayne.

border-rider

Re: My first audax, the Hop Garden 100km
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:09:27 am »
I'm pleased you had a good day :)

What's next on the list ?

<gently draws brownster into the web>

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:26:00 am »
Good start - that was my first audax too, five or six years ago. I still remember hauling my bike up Holly Hill, wondering if it would ever end!

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »
Congratulations Wayne. I started with a 100k too. What's next?
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

brownster

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2010, 12:54:42 pm »
I've got an eye on doing the Bethersden 100km next, or maybe even the 150km, it's a nice part of the County so I reckon it'll be a good one to do.
200km seems like a big ask at the moment, if I get plenty of miles in then I might have a crack at one though :)

There was a real wide range of bikes there on Sunday, all sorts from racers to audaxers that were well kitted out.

I've got a bit of a dilemma now as to what to do on the bike front, this old bike is comfy but I think I want a lower gear for those big hills, especially for longer rides.
Cheers,

Wayne.

dougal

• A gem of a lane
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »
I did the 100 also.

I had a great day out too, I was glad I didn't wear shorts tho.

You'll love the Fairies rides from Bethersden.
Its a lay-by love affair

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »
well done Wayne  :thumbsup:; never done the HG 100 just the 200 and (many years ago) a 160; did the 100 go all the way up Ashdown Forest to Duddleswell?

The Crown on the 30th May is worth considering; probably not much hillier than yesterday's 100, a few of us will be there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:58:03 pm »
Well done, Wayne. Excellent choice of first ride. I did the 200, which is probably not much harder than the 100. OK, so there's the small matter of a climb over the Ashdown Forest, but that's a doddle compared to Holly Hill - it's a long climb but quite gentle. 

The Crown on the 30th May is worth considering; probably not much hillier than yesterday's 100, a few of us will be there.

Hmm. It's certainly a lovely ride but I think you may be slightly understating the climbing. Or have you erased the road out of St Mary's Bay from your memory because it's too painful? ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:03:38 am »
Or have you erased the road out of St Mary's Bay from your memory because it's too painful? ;)

piece of p**s

if you have gears  ;)

last year some numpty was trying to get a campervan up the last hairpin and a Dutch or maybe German hero was trying to push the bloody thing up the hill; we all slipped past making polite thank you's

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:48:04 am »
we all slipped past making polite thank you's

sounded more like anglo-saxon to me!  ;D

Hop Garden pix online www.cyklisten.co.uk
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:14:38 am »
we all slipped past making polite thank you's

sounded more like anglo-saxon to me!  ;D

IIRC it was hard to breathe from all the burning tyre fumes (moral; don't buy a FWD campervan) let alone speak

brownster

« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:01:39 am »
well done Wayne  :thumbsup:; never done the HG 100 just the 200 and (many years ago) a 160; did the 100 go all the way up Ashdown Forest to Duddleswell?

No it didn't go as far as Ashdown Forest, sort of loops round to Staplehurst before heading back, it was enough for my first attempt!
I certainly feel I could do more though. on the 200 I take it there are a couple more cafe stops as controls? I'm of the opinion tea and cake are necessary  ;D

Unfortunately I cannot do the Crown event as already have commitments but I have already added the Bethersden date to the calendar and looking forward to that one. Also the following week there is one in Canterbury on 3rd July (kent corners 200km, it says 1707m total climb) does anyone know what that one is like as I may be insane brave enough to attempt it?

Well done, Wayne. Excellent choice of first ride. I did the 200, which is probably not much harder than the 100. OK, so there's the small matter of a climb over the Ashdown Forest, but that's a doddle compared to Holly Hill - it's a long climb but quite gentle. 

Thanks Citizen :) good to know there are not any more big surprises on the 200km  :o that could be on the cards for next year now.

Now I've done one on my old racer I have an idea how tough they are. This old girl only has 10 gears with friction shifters but after 5 hours in the saddle still comfy!
It's got me thinking what I can do to this one, or, try and tweak my modern BH racer, I've been out in the garage already comparing measurements between the two bikes so I've got an idea on how I can change the ride position on the BH to match, but I'd also like to get some lower gears on there especially since it's a double chainset. The rear 9 speed block is a shimano HG50, biggest cog a 25 tooth, I'm guessing I could slip a 'mega 9' on there but I don't know if this would work but I figure it might...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:12:34 am »
Great photos Cyklisteners. I don't see any pipes though. Whassgoinon!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2010, 11:51:04 am »
Also the following week there is one in Canterbury on 3rd July (kent corners 200km, it says 1707m total climb) does anyone know what that one is like as I may be insane brave enough to attempt it?

[

Not sure if the route stays the same but the section along the sea wall from Reculver was into a headwind strong enough to make it the equivalent of a 1 in 5 hill in 2008.  I remember a few hills after the dash across the marshes and around the Folkstone/Tunnel area but nothing too bad (and I'm not a great fan of too many hills).

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:03:48 pm »
well done Wayne  :thumbsup:; never done the HG 100 just the 200 and (many years ago) a 160; did the 100 go all the way up Ashdown Forest to Duddleswell?

No it didn't go as far as Ashdown Forest, sort of loops round to Staplehurst before heading back, it was enough for my first attempt!
I certainly feel I could do more though. on the 200 I take it there are a couple more cafe stops as controls? I'm of the opinion tea and cake are necessary  ;D

Unfortunately I cannot do the Crown event as already have commitments but I have already added the Bethersden date to the calendar and looking forward to that one. Also the following week there is one in Canterbury on 3rd July (kent corners 200km, it says 1707m total climb) does anyone know what that one is like as I may be insane brave enough to attempt it?

thinks; if you stopped at Iden Croft herb garden cafe on the 100 you will have missed the cafes at Duddleswell on Ashdown Forest and the famous World of Water near Rolvenden.

Kent Corners is a cracking first 200; it literally does all 4 corners of Kent (First info is near Leeds Castle IIRC, Rye, near Dover and Margate); some stiff climbing around Lymnpe and Folkestone (which The Crown also does) but otherwise quite benign with a superb bit along the sea wall to Reculver just before the finish; it's on my must-ride list for this year

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:10:20 pm »
Not sure if the route stays the same but the section along the sea wall from Reculver was into a headwind strong enough to make it the equivalent of a 1 in 5 hill in 2008.  I remember a few hills after the dash across the marshes and around the Folkstone/Tunnel area but nothing too bad (and I'm not a great fan of too many hills).

There are two flat sections, in opposite directions - the Minnis Bay-Reculver coastal path and the bit across Romney Marsh. Chances are you'll get a headwind on one and a tailwind on the other...

Climbing-wise, there's a bit of a slog from Faversham up to just before Lenham, which isn't too steep but goes on forever. There's a short but steep climb at Lympne, and apart from the two flat bits, the rest is "rolling". But overall, I'd say it's one of the easier 200s I've done.

And it was my first 200 as well, so I'd definitely recommend it.  :thumbsup:

d.

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »
some stiff climbing around Lymnpe and Folkestone (which The Crown also does)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten the bit between Hythe and Folkestone - the climb at Peene is a beauty! Great views from the top are the reward.

d.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 11 May, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »
here's the KC route from the man himself

Bicycle Path - Kent Corners 202km Audax at Bikely.com

« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2010, 04:25:12 pm »
Well done. All rides round there seem to go up Holly Hill and almost all of them at the 97km mark in 100km rides, 197km on 200km rides etc...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #19 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:13:02 pm »
Welcome to your new addiction, Brownster. Look forward to meeting you out on some of the other Kent rides. Recommend any of the Fairies rides - see my article in the last but on Arrivee if you can get hold of a copy.  Sounds like you'll be spending some time in bike shops in the near future - another year and you'll be doing 600s on a fixie!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

brownster

« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:07:37 pm »
here's the KC route from the man himself

Bicycle Path - Kent Corners 202km Audax at Bikely.com

:o  Wow, looking at the route certainly puts it into perspective, that is some ride for sure... gulp.

Welcome to your new addiction, Brownster. Look forward to meeting you out on some of the other Kent rides. Recommend any of the Fairies rides - see my article in the last but on Arrivee if you can get hold of a copy.  Sounds like you'll be spending some time in bike shops in the near future - another year and you'll be doing 600s on a fixie!
Thanks, yes looking forward to the next one, plenty of time for some serious bike fettling inbetween.
Glad I was sitting down when you mentioned a 600!!! That's not even on my radar. Yet.

Cheers,
Wayne.

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:26:51 pm »
That's not even on my radar. Yet.

Hah !

We have him.

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:40:09 pm »
:o  Wow, looking at the route certainly puts it into perspective, that is some ride for sure... gulp.

The distance is nothing to worry about. If you can do one 100km ride, you can do another. ;)

According to the bikely track, there's 1228m of climbing over the 200km, which really isn't much at all by audax standards. It would take about three times that amount of climbing before the ride might be considered "hilly".  ;D

d.

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 11 May, 2010, 06:42:10 pm »
You've missed the Man Of Kent 200 this year, but that's a nice one for a beginner - less than 1000m of climbing, most of which is concentrated into two hills in the first 50km. The hardest thing about that ride this year was slogging into a headwind across Romney Marsh.  :P

d.

LEE

« Reply #24 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »
That's not even on my radar. Yet.

Hah !

We have him.

Jan 2007 "My first Audax, Watership Down 100km" - LEE

They had me after that.

I was doing the Denmead 200 Winter Randonee in March 2007 then the Denmead 300 in 2008 (after a year of 100s and 200s) then Midhurst 600 in May 2008.

One thing leads to another and it's Bryan Chapman 600 in 4 days time and PBP in a year.

I've always thought that long-distance starts at 100 miles (opinions obviously vary) but once you have that 200 in your legs you start to realise that it's only an extra 100kms to 300....and so on.  If you can do a 300 then you proved you can cycle all day so it's just a matter of dealing with boredom/nutrition/hydration/comfort to go beyond that.

See you on a 200 soon