Author Topic: A brand new rain jacket  (Read 2480 times)

Creaky Knees

A brand new rain jacket
« on: 03 June, 2008, 02:34:34 pm »
With the weather continuing to be variably wet or very wet but also very warm,I am looking for a new rain jacket that packs down small and light but is good quality.I have tried the clear £30 type which are fine but only seem to last about a season at best so I'm looking for something a bit more durable.

Any ideas/recommendations anyone? ::-)

Re: A brand new rain jacket
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:05:08 pm »
I bought a Berghaus Demigod jacket from Chain Reaction as they had it on special offer. It's Goretex Paclite and packs down to the size of about 1.5 to 2 tennis balls. If you're the right size you can get one for £60.

It kept me dry throughout the lovely summer we had north of the border last year. I had to reproof it this winter after about 18 months use and the water repellancy is now as good as new. In my experience it's a lot better than the Assos Climajet jacket I used to wear which cost about £30 more.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:27:56 pm »
I have a Paramo jacket like this

Páramo

It is really designed for snowboarding but it breathes very well and seems to work well over a wide temperature range.  It is quite pricey however and the pack size isn't great

I've only had it 6 months but I'd say it will last several years

My previous coat was a Freestyle XCR and it was good for about 3 years but now seems to have too dirt ie oil that won't wash out

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 03:55:57 pm »
 I have a Paramo Fuera smock  for cycling, folds pretty small for packing and is quite waterproof, including a hood, while remaining reasonably breathable. Full price is £50 but you can find it for £40 on t'web, eg The Mountain Factor.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 04:50:45 pm »
Montane Featherlite?

Very lightweight, good quality and packs down small. Made from breathable pertex. Pretty waterproof but does leak at the front a bit after an hour in heavy torrential rain. Drys very quickly though. You can probably pick one up online for around £30 if you try hard enough.

P.S I posted this in your duplicate thread which was moved to The Knowledge section.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 04:55:57 pm »
What about an AUK Gamex, cheap and cheerful from the Impsport sale?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:20:18 am »

But the colour :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:45:14 am »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Berghaus jacket.  Have just ordered one, hoping that it will be as good to wear as my Berghaus paclite walking jacket.  That has been brilliant.

The jacket replaces a Freestyle XCR, which was cut from my body by the medics following my recent prang.  I'd had that for almost 5 years and it had also been very good.  My only real complaint was that it was very difficult to remove  oily transmission marks from the sleeves.  It gradually got so it never felt really clean.

Keith

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2008, 02:41:12 pm »

Q.Why not use the "Tell a Friend" link on that page?

A. Because I want to keep them.

(with apologies to D.N. Adams).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles