Author Topic: Advatages of joining AUK?  (Read 5548 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Advatages of joining AUK?
« Reply #25 on: 11 June, 2008, 03:11:28 pm »
There is no compelling reason to join AUK other than it is the decent thing to do if you intend to ride AUK validated event.
I think that the calendar and handbook have a lot of useful info in them, as does Arrivee. Sure, most of it's out on the interweb now, but not in 1 handy, sofa-browsable form.(Maybe not a compelling reason, I agree ... )

In other words, non members will subsidise members in some way.
Stupidly I hadn't realised that this in no way happens already. I reckon every other activity in the world charges more to non-members (apart from special promotions).

Good idea FY
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 11 June, 2008, 03:14:19 pm »
I presume the £2 day insurance provides some extra cash for AUK; although riders insured thru BC/ CTC don't pay it.

The £2 extra paid by non-members is for temporary or day membership of the club, which includes third party insurance for the duration of the event.

It has been providing a good income for the club in recent years since it was increased from paltry levels.  About 400 people paid for temporary membership last month.

Having said that, the club is not awash with funds.

Keith

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 11 June, 2008, 03:48:11 pm »
You join because you want to be a member of the finest organisation of social misfits since the British Chess Federation! ;)

You have not encountered some of the associations with whom my partner mingles; dysfunctional does not begin to describe some members...

« Reply #28 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:54:40 pm »

In a twisted sense that means if you want to support AUK, don't become a member.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 11 June, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »

In a twisted sense that means if you want to support AUK, don't become a member.
Unless you do less than (guesses) 7 rides a year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #30 on: 11 June, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »
If it is a purely financial decision, why not wait around the corner of the start control then join the riders for the rest of the ride until 100yds of the Arrivee where one can simply peel off into the shadows and drive home?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Or ride the number of rides that equate to just less than the yearly premium (or even the 5 year premium).

The main reason I joined was for PBP although failing that:

There is no compelling reason to join AUK other than it is the decent thing to do if you intend to ride AUK validated event.

H