Author Topic: [HAMR] 20th Jan - Steve day 166  (Read 20427 times)

Re: 20th Jan - Steve day 166
« Reply #50 on: 21 January, 2016, 06:34:47 am »
The 203.8mls on Strava was uploaded yesterday but relates to cycling done on Tuesday.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #51 on: 21 January, 2016, 06:55:42 am »
Yes, then it ends right in the centre of Potton but without the usual Steve comment early on the morning of the 20th. Nothing since the 3am finish

« Reply #52 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:32:30 am »
Any chance we could have a word from Mr Hennessey? He seems to be the only one of Steve's team who cares enough to update followers on YACF.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #53 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:41:31 am »
Any chance we could have a word from Mr Hennessey? He seems to be the only one of Steve's team who cares enough to update followers on YACF.

+1

« Reply #54 on: 21 January, 2016, 07:49:25 am »
Sincerely hope it's not something simple like the battery needs replacing in the tracker and Steve is mashing out the miles oblivious to the fact.

« Reply #55 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:04:38 am »
203.8 Strava miles then it all appears to stop at Potton on Strava.

The UMCA require uploads to be midnight to midnight for each day. Potton is just where he was at the end of Tuesday.

The rest of that ride (back to MK) will be part of the upload of Wednesday's ride whenever that is uploaded.

If you look at the start of that upload you'll see it starts at 00:00:00 on Tuesday and has the last section of the previous day's ride to York as the track log starts just north of Snaith.

The dates are confusing because Strava uses the latest date in the upload as the date of the ride. So if the upload includes all of Tuesday and then one second of Wednesday (I.e. 00:00:00) then Strava displays it as Wednesday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #56 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:07:28 am »
There is also a 58.7km upload for Potton to MK for yesterday that has appeared on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/474984835

Looking more and more that he didn't go out again yesterday for some reason.

« Reply #57 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:38:29 am »
That Potton To MK section has appeared on Strava in the last two hours so it remains feasible that any further upload for any riding during the day of the 20th remains to be uploaded and that it is a tracker issue?

« Reply #58 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:42:34 am »
Steve's web page is 'as of end of 20th January' so he clearly didn't go out yesterday and the tracker isn't fired up today either. Is this it? I hope he's OK.
Old fat and slow

« Reply #59 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:21:27 am »
That Potton To MK section has appeared on Strava in the last two hours so it remains feasible that any further upload for any riding during the day of the 20th remains to be uploaded and that it is a tracker issue?

Apart from early on (when I think he was getting used to it) Steve's pretty much always does one upload to Strava per day, regardless of whether the previous night's ride had spilled over into the current day, and/or whether he didn't finish riding before midnight.

The live tracking is completely separate from the Garmin he uses to record things.

Yes, it's feasible that he did go out riding yesterday, but it's looking increasingly unlikely.

« Reply #60 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
And with no news and no tracker points yet, today isn't looking great either.

My work computer doesn't want to load the trackleaders page properly. Did Steve actually make it all the way home?

« Reply #61 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:36:57 am »
Yes. That is the 36 mile ride shown on Strava

« Reply #62 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:42:17 am »
Yeah, I was just wondering if it actually came to a stop outside Chez TG.

hillbilly

« Reply #63 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:46:50 am »
Fingers crossed for (good) news.
I don't really care whether he is riding or not.  I would just like to know that he is ok.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #64 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:48:17 am »
I got a reply via fb message from Idai; he says he saw him this morning and he's ok. No further details.

Yesterday I read this as 'mind your own business'.

Today I read it as 'there's a crisis and we're keeping it to ourselves'. I hope Steve is OK.

The old argument about lack of information being due to not wanting to help Kurt is no longer valid.
Mojo is being awakened.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #65 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:49:58 am »
I don't really care whether he is riding or not.  I would just like to know that he is ok.
+1 to that.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #66 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:03:29 am »
Yeah, I was just wondering if it actually came to a stop outside Chez TG.

It stops about 300m away from his house. Pretty sure that's a privacy zone issue (or just how he trims the rides) as I checked a bunch of other rides and all of them start/finish a similar distance away from his house.

« Reply #67 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:07:45 am »
OK, well that at least eliminates a lot of worries.

« Reply #68 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:22:00 am »
Still can't see any tracker for Steve - map not loading.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #69 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:22:56 am »
A few decades working in the media tells me this is the most appalling Public Relations failure that could have been avoided with a one-sentence Facebook post saying Steve has been told by the doctor to rest for a few days and that this is no big loss in mileage terms as any loss can easily be made back in the warmer weather.
But this has not happened.
One can assume only that The Team no longer need to keep the enthusiasm going among the likes of us because they don't need any more donations because Steve's attempt on the record has finished.
Let us hope this is an incorrect reading of events. But even if he's given up, I've still immense respect for Steve. Attempting this in UK weather makes it, IMHO, way harder than doing it in Florida with sunshine and a campervan using flat roads.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #70 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
If I may veer off topic for a moment, I do wish people would stop labouring the environmental differences between Steve's and Kurt's attempts. It's like comparing the difference between scaling Everest and K2 and suggesting the latter is but a mere pimple. Kurt's year of riding was hardly a jolly wheeze.

« Reply #71 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:31:54 am »
A few decades working in the media tells me this is the most appalling Public Relations failure that could have been avoided with a one-sentence Facebook post saying Steve has been told by the doctor to rest for a few days and that this is no big loss in mileage terms as any loss can easily be made back in the warmer weather.
One can assume only that The Team no longer need to keep the enthusiasm going among the likes of us because they don't need any more donations because Steve's attempt on the record has finished.
Let us hope this is an incorrect reading of events. But even if he's given up, I've still immense respect for Steve. Attempting this in UK weather makes it, IMHO, way harder than doing it in Florida with sunshine and a campervan using flat roads.

Spot on.

At the risk of trying to read too much into the Ivanoscope, Steve's last few rides look to me like those of a man who is desperately tired towards the end, if not the start, of each day.

It looks likely to me he has quit this attempt.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #72 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:32:15 am »
Attempting this in UK weather makes it, IMHO, way harder than doing it in Florida with sunshine and a campervan using flat roads.

Mind you don't go and upset someone, posting stuff like that on YACF.  ;)

« Reply #73 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

I am afraid I read it in much the same way.

Enjoy the rest Steve.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #74 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:36:26 am »
Major team failure to keep keen supporters informed  --

BUT note crew chief is able to find time to self publicise on FB with this twaddle

Thank you so much. I love my new cup holders that arrived in the post moments ago - what a lovely surprise from a fantastic race. Anybody not done 24hrs in the Canyon needs to get there this year! You will not regret it! 😀
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!