Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889430 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22300 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:42:57 pm »
A very quiet 20 miles on the Brommie, Route 6 from Derby then Sandiacre canal back to Trent Lock for a brew, very cold and very glad I spashed out on a light weight Feather and down jacket, just enough to stay warm than home.   The upgrade of seat height setting gadget tested today, stupid price £8,50 for a bit of plastic, but its great to always get the seat height right.  Will really help when loading for camping.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22301 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:08:46 am »
80k out to Windsor and back yesterday morning- bloody chilly at 7.30am but the roads were fine. Had burning fingers and toes at the cafe but then sun and relative warmth on the way home. Really nice ride.

« Reply #22302 on: 24 January, 2019, 10:57:06 pm »
Hoped onto a train from Portsmouth to Petersfield after work and then zig-zagged my way back to Portsmouth across the South Downs.

Lovely evening for a ride though my feet were frozen by the end.  First longish ride on the new Disc Trucker too though after taking in a stretch of bridle path its now caked in mud. :facepalm: 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22303 on: 27 January, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »
A jauntle to Chipping Sodbury for lunch with IanN. Cold wind, but sunny and dry. After lunch a certain incident happened which showed why it's a good idea to have pliers or similar in your toolkit – no more details to protect the guilty and the prematurely senile :-X – we were saved by a friendly motorist.

Edit: I forgot to mention the little stretch of COR. No good ride should be without some! In this case, it was entirely down to me heading along there and giving Ian no choice. And that we ended up doing a loop back to almost where we started was down to... chance. I had no idea where that track led!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22304 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:30:15 pm »
Out on the fixed with HK on her MTB commuter to meet the Marlboro for lunch. Good fun chatting with the old boys about winter roughstuffing (because summer was for racing without mudguards), post-war rationing and how all real cyclists knew the pubs and cafes that gave the biggest feeds. The several of sleety showers there and back were not best pleasing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22305 on: 02 February, 2019, 04:41:20 pm »
First ride in almost 3 weeks, did it on 2 bikes.

Trek: 10k. Back tyre (worn) goes phut--> call missus -->home-->new tyre, new tube-->horror! Rim cracked round spoke hole-->imprecations.

Lunch: BBC sandwich (bacon/banana/chocolate). Missus looks on aghast.

Ti Warhorse: 45k. God this bike is stiff, and beateth ye arse to ye pulp. Can't believe I did almost my entire Audax career on it. Maybe I didn't run the  23mm tyres at 7.5 bar, though - can't remember.  2x11 body language mapped onto 3x10 is curious, too: I seemed to spend most of my time on the 50T or the 30T, with the chain doing things no gentleman should ask of it. It's nippy, though.

Brought missus (heart of gold) an escargot aux raisins from coffee stop. Hell, it's Saturday and she loves them.

Home again. Sore. Shower. Tea. Ahhhhhh...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Phil W

« Reply #22306 on: 02 February, 2019, 04:45:31 pm »
Yes nice low intensity ride along a nice cycle greenway.  Fast enough to stay warm but no more.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22307 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:20:15 am »
Just 5 miles

Heavy going

Even for this

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22308 on: 03 February, 2019, 01:06:01 pm »
Pretty. Looks like fun, too.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22309 on: 03 February, 2019, 01:12:54 pm »
Was hard work breaking trail but good going where the farmer had taken his 4x4. I went 100 yards past where he’d obviously got stuck before deciding that it was too tiring

essexian

« Reply #22310 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:16:59 am »
No snow for me.... I would have been very worried if there had have been as I did some laps of Derby Velodrome.  :thumbsup:

After riding the track at Manchester, I thought I would try my "local" track next and frankly, I enjoyed it more than Manchester although once again how unfit I am was confirmed by the fact I was knackered at the end of the session.

Why did I enjoy it more? Well, the place felt more homely and the coach was more involved in the session giving us instructions each lap including insisting we went well above the half way line. Also, unlikely Manchester, the lights were on around the track so I could see where I was going!

Next up for me is a trip to try the Glasgow track: I can get there and back on a Saturday by train for around £25 which is extremely cheap. I am also planning to do the London track towards the end of March leaving only the track in Newport and the one near Southampton to do.... this latter one is causing difficulties in getting to as it seems miles from anywhere.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22311 on: 05 February, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
Another 45k loop on the Ti Warhorse with much the same sensations as last time, i.e. pain. Already had a complaining quad from aerobic firewood-hauling, now I've got that in spades with a sore arse to boot but please don't.

Also came up the last hill, a 3-stage effort that goes 9%-6%-8% and rises 60 metres, on 39:21 and now I'm buggrified. Didn't used to be but used to be more crepit.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #22312 on: 05 February, 2019, 08:50:46 pm »
A quick ride along the prom into town to post some packages, and then out of town to NCN2 and the A259 cyclepath with my Sustrans hat on and a claw hammer, to remove some screws which seemed to have been deliberately inserted across the path at one point in the last couple of weeks, with about 1-2 cm left exposed. 

Fortunately most people around here seem to ride massive wide tyres which means the heads had got bent over but if a road bike had hit one it could have been nasty.

So about 12 miles overall.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #22313 on: 06 February, 2019, 11:28:16 am »
A quick ride along the prom into town to post some packages, and then out of town to NCN2 and the A259 cyclepath with my Sustrans hat on and a claw hammer, to remove some screws which seemed to have been deliberately inserted across the path at one point in the last couple of weeks, with about 1-2 cm left exposed. 

Fortunately most people around here seem to ride massive wide tyres which means the heads had got bent over but if a road bike had hit one it could have been nasty.

So about 12 miles overall.

Is it anywhere near here?

https://road.cc/content/news/255796-screws-found-embedded-recently-opened-ps2m-west-sussex-cycle-path-are-result

« Reply #22314 on: 10 February, 2019, 02:37:45 pm »
Yes. Only out for an hour. Tad windy which was shown by the 5k splits. Yes was slightly up hill to start then slightly down in way back but had over a 4 minute difference between slowest and fastest split.

« Reply #22315 on: 13 February, 2019, 06:19:34 pm »
Small group out in glorious but a little windy weather for a 33 mile loop. Wonderful. Roll on spring. Daffs seem early this year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #22316 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:52:58 pm »
About 110 km into the wilds of Somerset and Wiltshire. Off to Bath through commuter traffic, past Wellow and turn left into pastures new. Skirted Frome through the fly tipping epicentre of the area, it seems. I would have thought a pedal car was domestic waste and no problem to take to the 'recycling centre', but what do I know. (Very little). Stopped in Westbury

A plate of yellow food at the White Horse cafe, and a possibly ill advised climb up the escarpment over the real White Horse, the sound of small arms fire adding some excitement. A fairly wiggly route back via Chalfield.

It's hedge cutting season - Thorns 4 : Hampsterskin 0 . Just the one flat, but it took a while to dig the blighters out.
(or was that Thorns 4 : Thorn 0?)

It was September when I last rode over 200km, and I've lost a lot of fitness and speed. I think other life stuff hasn't helped
Fiddling around on claggy lanes chasing veloviewer squares hits the average kph as well.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22317 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:01:48 pm »
A plate of yellow food at the White Horse cafe,
Is that the one we stopped at on a 200 of your devising back in, ooh, must have been summer 2017? Or might have been spring 2018. ISTR we selected the cafe on the basis of it being the only one open...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #22318 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:11:32 pm »
The very same. The choice is a bit limited in Westbury.

« Reply #22319 on: 16 February, 2019, 09:30:19 pm »
Mrs Dan was about for the first weekend in a bit, so I left her doing her thing and managed a little loop. No lights to see by, so sunset limited the distance to 32km. One thing that looked like a white road on the map turned into a farm track and then a field edge. Still, nice to get a ride in.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22320 on: 17 February, 2019, 03:12:30 pm »
Just trundled between Salisbury and Basingstoke railway station with an excellent pub stop on the way. HK and Mr Hanna have continued on to Reading station. My shoulder is quite glad that I took the short option today after the 200 DIY perm yesterday.

« Reply #22321 on: 17 February, 2019, 05:32:47 pm »
Can you remember which pub?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #22323 on: 18 February, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »
Ah, now technically, I was out yesterday, doing sum of London's hills, and went up Swain's Lane for the first time, which is a bit of a stinker. It must be London's steepest hill surely? 20% at some point I believe.

My friend wanted to point out the modern house that was used on the most recent Luther series.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #22324 on: 18 February, 2019, 02:39:34 pm »
I'm doing a regular Monday trip that I'm attempting to make a little longer each week. This from home to collect Mrs M from the gym (She drives there, I drive her home). I got it up to a shade over 21km today, and even took in a picnic lunch half way. I avoided the comedy of the local ford, which has got the usual 'Road Closed' signs out - but the average local motorist knows so much better! (There's a handy footbridge for watching them stall in 3 foot of wet stuff).
Chillier and windier than expected.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.