Author Topic: heart monitor start Garmin 800  (Read 1783 times)

heart monitor start Garmin 800
« on: 12 December, 2014, 09:41:00 am »
I'm having issues with the HR monitor on my 800. I reckon its the strap as have had one under warranty, and its displaying the same symptoms of intermittent accuracy . Battery has been changed with little improvement.   Anyone successfully used a Polar strap and sensor , or other make?  or is it just a matter of regarding the straps as yearly consumables?

Re: heart monitor start Garmin 800
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2014, 09:56:55 am »
Any ANT+ compatible strap should work (I'm not sure, but I don't think Polar are compatible). I use a "Sportek" branded one with my Edge 500 because it was the cheapest I could find, and have never had a problem. Never tried an official Garmin one so I don't know how they compare.

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2014, 09:59:42 am »
Thanks, do you remember where you got it?  I've had two Garmin straps under warranty and they last just over six months before going wrong, course they're out of warranty now.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2014, 10:58:18 am »
I presume its one of the 'premium' soft straps? There have been several versions of the soft strap, the latest model (HRM3) is supposed to work better. The older plastic straps are usually more reliable (and cheaper), though maybe not as comfortable.

Have you tried washing it? It can get clogged up with sweat etc. Just unclip the transmitter pod, then wash the strap in hot soapy water, then hang it up to dry.

Polar don't use Ant+, so a complete Polar heart rate monitor won't work. But Polar sell just the strap as a replacement part, so you can buy one of these, then clip the Garmin transmitter part onto it. So that supposedly works better, and cheaper than a whole new Garmin strap. ie this strap: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-Chest-Strap-Soft-keine/dp/B007XCLU66/
See this guide: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2014, 11:30:35 am »
Fuaran, thanks for all of that. Definitely "Premium" information!

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2014, 06:39:41 pm »
Thanks Fuaran

Yes tried washing, gently, by hand , didn't change.  Ill give the suggestions a shot

cheers

paul851

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »
I can confirm the Polar softstrap works fine with the Edge heart rate monitor , I've used mine for the last couple of years and it's been fine  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:23:36 pm »
I can confirm the Polar softstrap works fine with the Edge heart rate monitor , I've used mine for the last couple of years and it's been fine  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2014, 09:04:27 pm »
I bought the Polar strap, initially it worked fine, but it eventually became as useless with nothing but spikes all the time as the Garmin soft strap it replaced, so I went back to my Garmin hard strap that has been faultless for about 6 years. Then this year I left it at home on a "600" so went to a shop enroute and bought a Giant strap and transmitter and after about 6 months it too is working flawlessly.