Author Topic: Highroad ceases to be?  (Read 5455 times)

Tim

Re: Highroad ceases to be?
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2011, 11:24:46 am »
I think a better demonstration of what that team was able to achieve was not the nine man leadout train, but the helicopter footage of them splitting the peloton in the 2009 TdF, stage 3, into Grande Motte.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2011, 11:32:27 am »
They demonstrated that prior preparation can make all the difference.. Like the Saeco train, then the Armstrong era, HighRoad took the game to a new level. Sky are doing the same.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuzzy

« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »
What did HTC/ Highroad/ Columbia have before they developed the Cavandish launch platform?

They had a group of riders which they moulded by training and practice into the leadout train we came to know and love.

With the right mentality and commitment, any team could develop a leadout train to take over.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2011, 12:54:02 pm »
I'm suprised that Cav's not made any comment at all. I'd have thought there'd at least have been a 'It's a sad day, shame to see so many people let go, etc, etc'.

He has now, on twitter

After 5 incredible years, it's heart-breaking to realise my team won't continue next year. My statement on my website http://bit.ly/omSQ4p

« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »
What crap news. I really hope he can find a team that will be able to provide something like the level of support he had at Highroad. That photo above is just awesome.

I don't know about others but when HTC first sponsored the team I had no idea what the company was, now their phones are everywhere so maybe they feel they don't need to be spending so much to increase awareness of their brand.

It will be interesting to see how Mark Renshaw fares in sprints if he ends up on a different team to Cavendish, if he could be getting a lead-out rather than being one he could be very competitive.

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 05 August, 2011, 04:10:19 pm »
With HTC team members all split up, Cav doesn't need to be in such a strong "Train".

With some careful selections SKY could get themselves a pretty good all-round team, capable of winning a few stages.  Wiggins looked like he was in good enough shape to contest in the mountain finishes (possibly GC) and Cav may still be capable of contesting sprint finishes even without a 9-man leadout.

Of course what will happen is that SKY will assemble a super team, full of Brits, and then buy the sole rights to show the Tour on British TV so I won't get to see any of it.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #31 on: 05 August, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »
Of course what will happen is that SKY will assemble a super team, full of Brits, and then buy the sole rights to show the Tour on British TV so I won't get to see any of it.

There are currently two sets of rights: one for subscription and one for free-to-air. Eurosport have the former and ITV the latter.

I don't care if Sky buy the rights as long as they have Gary Imlach fronting it and an alternative to the increasingly pointless Liggett and Sherwen is available - preferably the Harmon/Kelly combo.

I digress. Sky and many other teams are capable of giving Cav a decent lead out - the difference is trust. With Cav in your team you know that if you bring the breakaway back and deliver him to the 200m mark, he'll win most of the time. The same cannot be said for any other sprinter regardless of the leadout they get.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #32 on: 05 August, 2011, 05:55:22 pm »
My prediction, for what it's worth.

Cavendish to Sky - maybe a "train" engine or two with him - but Edvard B-H, Thomas, Swift, maybe Stannard ain't a bad train - Thomas last man? remember Brailsford keeps emphasising that the Olympics are much more important than the Tour, so building a UK train for Cav is a priority.

And - my thoughts, Wiggins to go - my punt would be for him to go back to Garmin.

gonzo

« Reply #33 on: 05 August, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
I heard that Renshaw and Eisel were part of Cavendish's deal.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #34 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »
If not Sky, I reckon Rabo and Lampre could provide good homes for Cav.  The new Omega Pharma Quickstep merger could also give him a home now Gilbert's gone, as long as they're prepared to pass over the waning Boonen for a non-Belgian.  There'd be a similar problem with Petacchi at Lampre, of course. 

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #35 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »
Cavendish to Sky - maybe a "train" engine or two with him - but Edvard B-H, Thomas, Swift, maybe Stannard ain't a bad train - Thomas last man?

Geraint is a very dependable rider in the last few km and indeed the last couple of hundred metres, and Cav was seen to come off his wheel for one of his Tour victories this year. My only reservation is that this would not be at the expense of Geraint's own development.

« Reply #36 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »
I don't know about others but when HTC first sponsored the team I had no idea what the company was, now their phones are everywhere so maybe they feel they don't need to be spending so much to increase awareness of their brand.

Well, it took quite some time before I realised the "HTC" written on the front of my phone was the same "HTC" as written on the front of Cav's jersey!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #37 on: 05 August, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »
There's an interesting take on the demise of HTC on the Inner Ring blog, suggesting that most of its funding has been courtesy of a stonking severance payment from T-Mobile:

http://inrng.com/2011/08/highroad-pro-cycling/

One of the comments is worth quoting:

Some may criticize their lack of GC contenders, but the bottom line is that going after GC is a high risk proposition which puts many eggs in very few baskets. While top 10 finishes are admirable, they really don’t mean much; a win is a win; 2nd, 3rd, or 7th are not. But focusing on one day events and stage races gives you many opportunities for success, spread out over many riders. If you are winning a lot of races, the riders have more prize money to split, which can help keep wages in check.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #38 on: 06 August, 2011, 09:03:30 am »
There's an interesting take on the demise of HTC on the Inner Ring blog, suggesting that most of its funding has been courtesy of a stonking severance payment from T-Mobile:

http://inrng.com/2011/08/highroad-pro-cycling/

One of the comments is worth quoting:

Some may criticize their lack of GC contenders, but the bottom line is that going after GC is a high risk proposition which puts many eggs in very few baskets. While top 10 finishes are admirable, they really don’t mean much; a win is a win; 2nd, 3rd, or 7th are not. But focusing on one day events and stage races gives you many opportunities for success, spread out over many riders. If you are winning a lot of races, the riders have more prize money to split, which can help keep wages in check.

The quote is apposite - bearing out Chris Boardman's question on the Halfords ads during this year's tour coverage ...  "Why are there 2nd and 3rd places on a podium?"

Rob

« Reply #39 on: 06 August, 2011, 07:09:42 pm »

And - my thoughts, Wiggins to go - my punt would be for him to go back to Garmin.

I think he pretty much burned his bridges with them when he left.

From David Millar just before the Tour - "We [the Garmin team in 2009] made him. We basically rode him into that fourth place finish in the Tour de France. It was not a one-man show. It was a team effort. He wouldn't have hit the top 10 if he'd been on any other team so that's why I was so pissed off with him. He never once gave us the respect we deserved. Mark Cavendish understands the game – Brad doesn't. He's a natural-born leader, Cav, whereas Brad has no leadership skills. The way Cav is with his team-mates helps make him an incredible rider."

I don't think anyone else would pay Wiggins as much as Sky do either.

Re Cav and his train - in an interview during the Tour Renshaw hinted very heavily that he, Cav and Eisel would be staying together.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #40 on: 06 August, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
I would like to see Cav not quite so dependant on the leadout ,a bit more like Robbie McEwan.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #41 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:14:00 pm »
I would like to see Cav not quite so dependant on the leadout ,a bit more like Robbie McEwan.
He isn't, but it goes from an odds on chance to a nailed on cert with.  And you get much more sonsor exposure with the train..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #42 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:20:47 pm »
One of my favourite sprints ever was when Robbie came from absolutely nowhere to win the stage into Cantebury the other year. He was off the back several km from the finish and suddenly reappeared with 150 to go! Bosh!

I bet Cav could mould himself into that type of sprinter, but if he's got a train, he's going to use it...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #43 on: 08 August, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »
I heard that Renshaw and Eisel were part of Cavendish's deal.

I'd put money on Renshaw going with him. 

« Reply #44 on: 10 August, 2011, 07:49:59 am »
Unless Cavendish goes to Rabobank it looks like you'd have lost your money 

From cyclingnews:
Sky has reportedly been beaten to the punch by Rabobank to sign Mark Renshaw for the next two seasons, outbidding the British outfit.

According to De Telegraaf, Renshaw will head to next year’s Tour de France as Rabobank’s appointed sprinter. The report cites the Dutch bank’s growing interests in the Australian market as a catalyst for the 28-year-old’s recruitment. Sources close to Renshaw had informed Cyclingnews earlier this week that he and Mark Cavendish were both Sky-bound in 2012.

fuzzy

« Reply #45 on: 10 August, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
Unless Cavendish goes to Rabobank it looks like you'd have lost your money 

From cyclingnews:
Sky has reportedly been beaten to the punch by Rabobank to sign Mark Renshaw for the next two seasons, outbidding the British outfit.

According to De Telegraaf, Renshaw will head to next year’s Tour de France as Rabobank’s appointed sprinter. The report cites the Dutch bank’s growing interests in the Australian market as a catalyst for the 28-year-old’s recruitment. Sources close to Renshaw had informed Cyclingnews earlier this week that he and Mark Cavendish were both Sky-bound in 2012.

So the Sky move info passed to Cyclingnews was duff gen?

Who's to say the Rabbobank info is more accurate?

« Reply #46 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
Not me. I'm just concerned about Tewdric's finances.

« Reply #47 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:52:27 pm »
Not me. I'm just concerned about Tewdric's finances.

I used the conditional advisedly, not being a betting man!  ;D

I'm surprised though.

« Reply #48 on: 11 August, 2011, 07:01:47 am »
Renshaw confirms he is joining Rabobank for the next 2 years - as their top sprinter.

http://www.sknvibes.com/news/newsdetails.cfm/37896

« Reply #49 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:56:19 am »
Well, it makes sense for Renshaw to move on at some point - every bridesmaid wants to be the bride eventually.