Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627245 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7775 on: 13 June, 2016, 09:03:45 am »
Although they have the silly Å in Sweden, the language is entirely devoid of apostrophe's, so do forgive 'em.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7776 on: 13 June, 2016, 12:10:40 pm »
They know not what they do.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #7777 on: 13 June, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
Weird Swedish nicknames - Letter (for Lotte) Card (Karl) & Photo (Peter, but he's a camera man)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7778 on: 13 June, 2016, 01:13:46 pm »
The USB dongle for my spare keyboard has effed off into the scenery.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7779 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:59:22 am »
There are invisible evil pixies in my Chips Room.  Something keeps making a loud "click" noise and last night one of them wedged a piece of wire between two floorboards at the perfect angle to become embedded in the sole of my bare foot, thereby causing me to have to hop to bed.  Plz to bugger off, pesky pixies >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7780 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:10:14 am »
My KB dongle wasn't a dongle at all but one of those black shiny KB/mouse wodgy-shaped doodahs with a cable that plugs into a USB port. And it was right beside the KB but I didn't see it for looking. :facepalm:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7781 on: 14 June, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »
I've spent most of the day so far trying to turn home-made* bodge-job forms in Word :sick: into nice-looking useful fill-innable pdf forms. Many Saxon words have been uttered and my desk is sore from where it keeps interfacing with my head. :hand:

*Not made by me, or they wouldn't have been so shite.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7782 on: 14 June, 2016, 03:29:01 pm »
Getting a passably good poster into a form that is designed badly is hard enough before people decide to lock down a lot of the editing options, especially on images. Have a guess what I've been doing this afternoon.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #7783 on: 14 June, 2016, 03:37:26 pm »
I'm pleased to hear that - misery loves company ;D
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #7784 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:11:50 pm »
Back onto the blood donation thread, and not really a grumble, but why do the Blood Service need to tell me that the blood I donated on 7/6 has reached Conquest Hospital in St Leonards-on-Sea?

Furthermore, had I known it was going to end up in a southerner or two, I may have had second thoughts.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7785 on: 14 June, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »
My bits don't fit.  Frustrating new build - see other thread re dropouts

Learning stuff, but head-wall interface in use today.

Also had muchos disruption of work (at home this week) due to kitchen refurb, busy time too
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7786 on: 14 June, 2016, 10:54:04 pm »
I just tried to use my faithful AAA mini keyring torch & it doesn't work  :(    It looks like 2 weeks rattling around in my bar bag has killed it.  The light flickers on if you tap it or shake it hard, but won't stay on.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #7787 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »
So, just back from a week in Hassi Messaoud in Algeria,
Are the road between the airport and the shitty city still lined with litter as far as a human arm can fling it in each direction?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ElyDave

« Reply #7788 on: 15 June, 2016, 06:36:16 am »
So, just back from a week in Hassi Messaoud in Algeria,
Are the road between the airport and the shitty city still lined with litter as far as a human arm can fling it in each direction?

Plus that view of the Mad-Max style flares and burn pits as you fly in.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7789 on: 15 June, 2016, 07:55:59 pm »
If it would stop raining reliably for more than fifteen minutes I could take the Black Bike out into the Walled Garden and determine the removability of the freewheel, and from this decide what manner of bits I need to complete the rebuild of the Romany as a shopping bike.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

« Reply #7790 on: 16 June, 2016, 01:04:01 pm »
Either my thighs have grown or slim fit is back in vogue.  2 of the three pairs of M&S trousers I bought for work are rather snug around the thighs as soon as I put more than a five pound note in my pocket.  And that's on the same 32" waist.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7791 on: 16 June, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »
Either my thighs have grown or slim fit is back in vogue.  2 of the three pairs of M&S trousers I bought for work are rather snug around the thighs as soon as I put more than a five pound note in my pocket.  And that's on the same 32" waist.

I have ranted about this very subject in the past.
M&S trousers are cut for Modern Man: big belly and no muscle.

Older trousers fit my slim but slightly muscular partner better.

RibbleRouser

« Reply #7792 on: 16 June, 2016, 01:50:08 pm »
Problem solved, just send me your five pound notes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7793 on: 16 June, 2016, 02:29:50 pm »
Problem solved, just send me your five pound notes.
RibbleRouser does not charge for this service.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7794 on: 16 June, 2016, 02:30:10 pm »

I could use a little M&S just now.  I've been noticing that with enforced immobility my weight has stayed constant but my legs have dwindled and my waistband has got tighter.  I feel like a thin bloke who's been shoved through a beach ball.

Still, 'tain't permanent.

« Reply #7795 on: 16 June, 2016, 02:36:33 pm »
Key cutting shop. £5 for a feckin' key? And then three out of the four don't work. Good job they did second time around. And then you say 'I couldn't get on the right machine to do them'. So why didn't you wait? A grumble, seeing as the keys work now, but...

ElyDave

« Reply #7796 on: 16 June, 2016, 03:02:08 pm »
Key cutting shop. £5 for a feckin' key? And then three out of the four don't work. Good job they did second time around. And then you say 'I couldn't get on the right machine to do them'. So why didn't you wait? A grumble, seeing as the keys works now, but...

Had that happen to me.  Having given my parents the house keys to drop wedding presents off, I and new wife returned home after the honeymoon to find the newly cut keys did not work.

Slept in the car that night before breaking in through the cat flap the next morning.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7797 on: 16 June, 2016, 03:08:40 pm »
Never trust an untested key.  We discovered that our front door key wasn't actually our front door key[1] in similar circumstances.

[1] The entire lock mechanism was loose and rotating in response to any Yale key / screwdriver that would fit the slot.

« Reply #7798 on: 16 June, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »

I could use a little M&S just now.  I've been noticing that with enforced immobility my weight has stayed constant but my legs have dwindled and my waistband has got tighter.  I feel like a thin bloke who's been shoved through a beach ball.

M&S trousers have been like this for as long as I can remember.   You need to buy a waist up to get a good thigh fit.    Weird shaped blokes in the cutting room I guess...   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7799 on: 16 June, 2016, 04:07:02 pm »

M&S trousers have been like this for as long as I can remember.   You need to buy a waist up to get a good thigh fit.    Weird shaped blokes in the cutting room I guess...

I don't think they're weird. Twenty years ago the shape was better for those who occasionally moved their bodies.

They cut their clothing to fit the 'Normal Brit'. Normal Brit is fatter and flabbier than in my misspent youth.

Things aren't what they used to be...

I remember also chatting about this with Dr Box (Dave Pilbeam, notp) at some Audax Reunion.
As might be expected from a long-suffering AUK, the man has muscles in his thighs and carries little 'spare'.
He also has Trouble with Trousers.