Author Topic: New Garmin Oregon  (Read 3109 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
New Garmin Oregon
« on: 04 November, 2015, 12:06:39 am »
After quite a few years with a Vista HCx, which still works but is decidedly battered-looking, I have decided to upgrade to an Oregon 600. I have seen Auntie Helen OTP in action with hers, and it looks like a very slick machine. I would imagine that there are lots of exciting things the Oregon can do that a 7-year-old Vista can't.

What treats are in store for me? It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: New Garmin Oregon
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:13:30 pm »
First question: how does the Bluetooth stuff work? I have tried to get the Garmin to recognise my PC and Ipad, but with no success.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2015, 01:43:50 am »
First question: how does the Bluetooth stuff work? I have tried to get the Garmin to recognise my PC and Ipad, but with no success.
You need to use the Garmin Basecamp Mobile app on the Ipad. But it seems this has now been discontinued, and is no longer available to download. Apparently they are planning on adding support for the Oregon etc to the Garmin Connect Mobile app, but not sure when that's going to happen. Currently the Garmin Connect app only works with the fitness devices, ie Edge or Forerunner.

There's no way of using Bluetooth to connect to a PC. And currently no support on Android, but hopefully the Garmin Connect Android app will get updated.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
Ah, so it wasn't my incompetence! Thanks. I must say I don't like the way the Oregon goes into extra device mode the moment you plug the USB cable in. Furthermore, I bought a second-hand Oregon a few years ago off Ebay and that feature didn't work so I got a refund. It's a bit crap of Garmin to introduce a bluetooth mode and the not support it.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
The Bluetooth to Basecamp on iPad or iPhone worked till about three weeks ago and was useful. It's annoying it's stopped but that may be my upgrade to ios9 as Basecamp has been crashing ever since
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:38:26 am »
Be interested hearing how your experiences work out, I'm loath to move away from my old Oregon 450t, but new tech is soooo shiny.

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2015, 01:21:23 pm »
I've found my Oregon 200 to be fairly flexible, but I'm not familiar enough with the Edge or modern Etrex to compare.  I've certainly got several profiles, each with different choice of main menu items, and varying numbers of on-map data fields.  I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I chose the Oregon based on screen size, and AA batteries.  Not been disappointed.  The Oregon's not slimline, but I'm a tourer rather than a racer.  Garmin firmware seems to be a bit of a lottery, but I got a version I was happy with and then stuck with it.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:25:47 pm »
The Oregon seems to lack a lot of the features I use such as Auto start/stop, speed, calories.

The main attraction for me would be the removable AA batteries, as the USB charging is  PITA on the Edge, to the extent that it's useless for a cycle camping tour.

Bah.
Milk please, no sugar.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:51:15 pm »
The Oregon seems to lack a lot of the features I use such as Auto start/stop, speed, calories.
The Oregon can display your speed if you want. Or loads of other options for data fields, same as most other Garmins.
It doesn't have start/stop like the Edge does, it is just recording all of the time when its switched on. You can set it to display your moving time / moving average speed if you want, seems that would be about equivalent to autopause on the Edge.

It seems the Oregon 600 does have an option for calories. Not sure how useful/accurate it would be, maybe a bit better if you are using a heart rate monitor. Or you can upload the ride to Garmin Connect/Strava etc, which would also give you numbers for calories.

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:52:01 pm »

It has moving time / stopped time, and associated moving average / overall average speed.  I don't know what else auto start/stop would do.  Current speed (or the others) are available both on trip computer screen or on map fields, if I remember correctly, though I haven't got it with me right now.  Calories figures are usually very optimistic with an HRM, or complete works of fiction without.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:34:57 pm »
The closest an eTrex (and I presume therefore, the Oregon) has to start/stop is selecting the unhelpfully named "Demo mode" from the satellite screen - this powers down the GPS and stops logging data, but leaves the unit on so you can fiddle about with waypoints or whatever and not have to wait for it to boot up when you 'start' it again with "Use satellite system".

It's the sort of thing that's handy if you're going indoors at a control, but want to be able to see the trip computer stats.  Not something I use frequently enough to see the point in automating, but YMMV.  Indeed, I'm not sure why you'd want it to stop recording every time you stop at a junction...

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
Don't forget, the Oregon is pitched as a handheld and as such one of its key features is versatility. I bought mine initially for hiking , I've also used it on the bike and in the car in furrn parts not covered by Europe satnav (Georgia, Jordan, Israel, Australia USA, Morocco, India, China, Russia, Thailand......) as such my expectations and usage are somewhat different and been exceptionally happy with its overall performance.

It isn't an absolute natural for bike use only, I think if I was to be choosing a similar device primarily for bike use, I would tend to the Montana because of the better batter life.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2015, 04:22:31 pm »
There is a Start/Stop on the Oregon and I use it all the time. I have the 'Track controls' as my dashboard and have to press 'start' before it starts recording each time I turn it on. I use this feature as otherwise it tends to award you an extra 5-10km each time you turn it off as it wanders when first getting a fix when turned back on.

The calories field is extremely over-optimistic, even when I am wearing my Heart Rate Monitor. The other day it gave me 1900 calories for a ride which Ascent gave as 782 (and I believe Ascent's figures much more). Basically I halve its figures.

The Oregon isn't a perfect gadget, and every now and again it takes 3 minutes to find all its satellites as if it has had a total power down, but the mapping is great and its auto routing also works well for me. Battery life is less good -  half the time of the old Oregon I had - but I always carry spare batteries. It will manage about 10 hours on a pair of AAs without backlight.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:07:46 pm »
Does anyone know of a way of a Mac continuing to supply power to the Garmin when it is plugged in but the mac goes into standby mode? Each time that happens I get the "DISK NOT PROPERLY EJECTED" message for the Garmin and the SD card.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:38:39 pm »
I took it out for a ride on Sunday. I lik to have certain information displayed above the map: time of day and speed are important to me. However, it appears with the Oregon that you are stuck with prescribed "profiles", any one of which you can use. I have created a new profile, logically called "Wowbagger", but haven't been able to work out how to make it display the data fields of my choice.

Does the panel have any advice about this? Thanks.

« Reply #15 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:15:59 am »
Press on the data field you want to change.  (with older Oregon, I don't know how much has changed)

« Reply #16 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:29:14 am »
On the 600, the data fields can be either "locked" or "unlocked".

On the trip computer screen, press the lower right hand button and it will give you the option to unlock all fields.  After unlocking, you can touch a data field and change it to something else on the list.

Keith

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:33:38 am »
Yep, and you have the option of 4 fields too. I use all 4.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:28:40 pm »
Thanks! I have understood that and got it to work. Am planning a ride in the morning from Wickford - an AH/WB tribute ride!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19 on: 12 November, 2015, 02:18:39 pm »
Hope it goes well!

I have to say that this newer Oregon is way better than the old one in terms of logic in how to use it, but it still has the occasional Garmin idiosyncrasy. But overall I like it and I think the display is excellent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:39:34 am »
I have put an SD card into this machine, but I am not at all sure what it is for. The map file is in the Garmin's memory and that's where it stores the daily archive files. I can't see the point of the SD card at the moment, given that this particular model doesn't have the built-in camera.

What have I missed?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:53:55 am »
It's just more capacity.  You could put more (ie different) maps on the card for example, and the GPS would be able to access each map individually or in combination.
It's also (IMHO) 'safer' capacity.  Because it's quite easy to indvertantly corrupt the memory (either GPS or card) when disconnecting.  The card is easier to repair.
So I put 'permanent' maps (such as contours) in the GPS memory, but I put OSM maps (which are subject to constant updates) on the card, where if the constant overwriting causes problems, I can simply reformat it.
I also put planned Tracks etc, on the card. The GPS accesses them just the same.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:59:10 am »
I use the SD card for the extra maps I need - DACH and BeNeLux and UK are too much for the internal memory.

At the moment I can fit DACH and BeNeLux on the internal memory so I don't have the SD card with the UK map in as it is unnecessary but useful if I tour further afield!

« Reply #23 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:28:20 am »

The main attraction for me would be the removable AA batteries, as the USB charging is  PITA on the Edge, to the extent that it's useless for a cycle camping tour.

Bah.

Not an ideal solution but...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/dp/B00HCBDV10
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)