Author Topic: And now Ricco is out...  (Read 8695 times)

Re: And now Ricco is out...
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:18:12 pm »
Good.  Little sod looked to be flying the other day and when I heard his idol was Pantani - I was not surprised.  [...]I hope they catch more and more of the cheating bastards.

Yup. And if they don't like the rules, then don't sign up for the Tour...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:19:36 pm »
Good.  Little sod looked to be flying the other day and when I heard his idol was Pantani - I was not surprised.  When are the Italians going to learn?
I hope they catch more and more of the cheating bastards.

Did Ricco's ride remind anyone of Landis',  er,  miraculous ride in 2006?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #27 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:21:38 pm »
Ricco did well in previous races and tours though...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gonzo

« Reply #28 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:23:25 pm »
Did Rocco's ride remind anyone of Landis',  er,  miraculous ride in 2006?

Argh. Testosterone would not have given Landis a performance like he had that day.

It's likely that he was on something, but you can't say for sure that he was on anything that would have induced that performance any more than you can say that Lance was on similar stuff (in fact you'd have more evidence of the second option).

Sorry, but this is something that really winds me up.

« Reply #29 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:42:51 pm »
It reminded me very much of Basso in the 2006 Giro and contador in last years Tdf.   People on epo always seem to look incredibly healthy.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:56:06 pm »
Good.  Little sod looked to be flying the other day and when I heard his idol was Pantani - I was not surprised.  When are the Italians going to learn?

No, not at all. Landis rode a hard race from the start, effectively a long time trial. By the time people realised that he had paced himself properly it was too late to bring him back. It wasn't a spectacular performance in absolute terms, just everyone else let him go as they didn't want to chase (periero anyone?)

Ricco just rode away from the others at the same time, same place. Just like some of Panatani's amazing performances.

..d

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #31 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:13:35 pm »

I'll get back to rooting for Cav (who may make a record by getting stage wins AND the lanterne rouge!)

Yeh, the fastest/slowest sprinter in the world
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

David Martin

« Reply #32 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:40:31 pm »

I'll get back to rooting for Cav (who may make a record by getting stage wins AND the lanterne rouge!)

He still has to lose 15 mins over the slowest guys..

..d

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:40:50 pm »
I feel sorry for all the clean riders too.

So would I if I knew who they were  :-\

yet another bloody shambles just when it was starting to look very good for Britain  >:(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:55:53 pm »
Cav can easily lose 15 minutes, there are big lumpy Alpy things up ahead and I don't think he's looking forward to them!

As for making Brits look bad, I disagree but even if you were right the media has a short memory.  Get Vicky P hauling back a barrowload of Chinese gold and we'll be in love again.  Not that I've ever been out.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #35 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:56:47 pm »

..d

Could be tricky, balancing losing time to a lantern rouge rival whilst avoiding elimination. I don't suppose that he will cross The Alps anyway
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:05:49 pm »
Cav can easily lose 15 minutes, there are big lumpy Alpy things up ahead and I don't think he's looking forward to them!

As for making Brits look bad, I disagree but even if you were right the media has a short memory.  Get Vicky P hauling back a barrowload of Chinese gold and we'll be in love again.  Not that I've ever been out.

I was referring to the good press cycling in Britain and the Tour got last year with the London stages; only to be dashed following the usual scandals after it crossed back over the Channel

Maybe you are right and Britain should make the most of the kudos our Olympic cyclists get and not worry about the big pro races...

David Martin

« Reply #37 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »

..d

Could be tricky, balancing losing time to a lantern rouge rival whilst avoiding elimination. I don't suppose that he will cross The Alps anyway

There are two big days that will really hurt.. I really hope he does make it to Paris. The two hardest days are separated by the next rest day.

Another sprinters stage tomorrow..

..d

« Reply #38 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:24:57 pm »

No, not at all. Landis rode a hard race from the start, effectively a long time trial. By the time people realised that he had paced himself properly it was too late to bring him back. It wasn't a spectacular performance in absolute terms, just everyone else let him go as they didn't want to chase (periero anyone?)

Ricco just rode away from the others at the same time, same place. Just like some of Panatani's amazing performances.

..d

..d

I've still got that 'Landis stage' on my HDR and I rewatched it the other day.

Landis went hard from the start but didn't seem to be doing anything superhuman - one of the other riders rode on his wheel for a long way until apparently ordered to drop back by his team. The main theme of the commentators was the disorganisation of the main teams in the peleton who were leaving it to each other to organise the chase - in the end no one did.

Mind you - Landis looked bloody scarey at the finish line interviews.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #39 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:28:53 pm »
Look at Cunego - suffering.  Perhaps he is NOW clean?
There are others too.
This year look at the time gaps.  They are so close.
I hope Frank Schleck is clean.
Evans is too much of a goody goody two shoes to be anything but clean.

« Reply #40 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:36:49 pm »
Look at Cunego - suffering.  Perhaps he is NOW clean?
There are others too.
This year look at the time gaps.  They are so close.
I hope Frank Schleck is clean.
Evans is too much of a goody goody two shoes to be anything but clean.

My thoughts?

Cunego - was doped, now clean.
Schleck - not sure. <might have got away with it, so will now ride clean.> Hope he didn't.
Evans - clean.  He's a hard determined bastard.

« Reply #41 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:41:49 am »
I agree.

Looking back at history, you have people like Anquetil (sic) admitting that he was a pin cushion so why are the other 'main' contenders going to be any different?  Especially in a sport that sort of had it as an unspoken and accepted rule?

But now things are changing - I believe there is hope.  If the majority are clean and the cheats are going to be exposed and expelled then the new guard, the new ethos will prevail and they will have to be clean to make a living.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #42 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:26:51 am »
<snip> People on epo always seem to look incredibly healthy.
Right up until the point that their heart gives up trying to pump sludge...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #43 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:52:21 am »
I don't think that has happened since the early 90's.

alan

« Reply #44 on: 18 July, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »
As mentioned above the penalty for drug cheating needs to be strong enough to provide the correct deterrent.
Stephen Roche suggested yesterday that a guilty rider should be excluded for life.
Mr. Roche gets my vote.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:25:57 pm »

..d

He just needs 10 guys to drop out and he becomes LR without losing any time - go Cav ! ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #46 on: 18 July, 2008, 04:45:35 pm »
Piepoli has been sacked.  As I suspected, SD pulling out of tour was dodgy.  Either it's a team based thing or Ricco dobbed Piepoli in.

« Reply #47 on: 18 July, 2008, 04:58:15 pm »
Some articles are saying that Ricco was fired for doping, but Piepoli was fired for violations of the team's ethical code. Either way, it's aggravating--I never liked Ricco (not that who I like matters), but I was pulling for Piepoli.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #48 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:32:35 pm »
, but Piepoli was fired for violations of the team's ethical code..

Which means?  Either there is an imminent positive, or he or Ricco has coughed under pressure (or the management knew all along)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #49 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:34:43 pm »
Or he knew about Ricco's doping but didn't tell the DS.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.