Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215208 times)

corshamjim

Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #250 on: 17 July, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »
Here's my Bike 'n Hike.  This one seemed like a good idea at the time (I guess I bought it some time in the mid '90s), but in practice it's too bulky to carry on the rear rack so I've only ever toured with it in a trailer (the not the Royal Wedding trip to chez Volio earlier this year).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #251 on: 17 July, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »
I'm looking forward to taking pictures of our tent on Saturday.

*smiles enigmatically* :)

In view of the prospect (and later reality) of heavy rain, I thought it best not to take our new tent.  Sorry! :(

Getting there...

« Reply #252 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:12:37 pm »
ours in the front, a friends amazing 5 meter teepee /bell tent thing in the middle and another friends absolutely enormous 'family tent' in the background. 

They'd all driven, we'd pedalled ;D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #253 on: 25 July, 2011, 08:59:59 am »
They'd all driven, we'd pedalled ;D

Nice to see the load evenly shared.  ;D

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #254 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:40:23 am »

Nice to see the load evenly shared.  ;D

we had that discussion....  to be fair, you cant see the panniers on her bike behind mine. She had her sleeping bag and some clothes in hers, I had everything else - edit - and she had the heavy lock (I've been told to say). 

It was a handy test for me though, to see if the bike and my legs could cope with a solo camping trip.  The answer's yes, but I need more gears before I go somewhere hilly!

Simonb

« Reply #255 on: 31 July, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »
Our Cabanon Guadeloupe (again). Now with added side panel!

Lovely weekend away in the North Downs of Kent near Petham.

« Reply #256 on: 31 July, 2011, 10:23:42 pm »
my vango airbeam infinity 800 with side canopy…

she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #257 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:08:27 am »
Our Cabanon Guadeloupe (again). Now with added side panel!

Lovely weekend away in the North Downs of Kent near Petham.

"off to tell marj that someone has 'arfinched our tent,& our camping Gaz cooker by the looks of it*
 ;D

Simonb

« Reply #258 on: 01 August, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »
"off to tell marj that someone has 'arfinched our tent,& our camping Gaz cooker by the looks of it*
 ;D

Don't tell! Now lusting after a De Waard. Pretty!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #259 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »
The shame:

Our ginourmous tent by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

My girlfriend insisted suggested we got a larger tent, tables, chairs, that sort of thing to enable us to setup camp for a week, not worry too much about the weather etc.

So, I dutifully purchased a Vango Calisto 400 (including, luxurious carpet for the front section!).  I've only ever owned lightweight tents - so this one was a bit of a shocker at 15kg (Cass has already pointed out that the trailer we use touring on the tandem is rated for 40kg!).

We've just spent the week down in Cornwall in it - and I have to admit, it was brilliant.  It was nice just to be able to sit on proper chairs, eating, chatting etc. in the front section - no matter what the weather.  I do however feel I need to undergo some sort of penance - let's say maybe riding my bike through France sleeping only in ditches?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #260 on: 04 August, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »
You carry a 13kg patio gas and a 3.9 of normal propane. You must have a big car to put all that in. Never thought of just using one bottle? Probably a silly question mind.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #261 on: 04 August, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
You carry a 13kg patio gas and a 3.9 of normal propane. You must have a big car to put all that in. Never thought of just using one bottle? Probably a silly question mind.

We thought about it - but quickly discounted it - my other half loves to cook, so she wanted to be able to barbecue and cook sides etc. on the stove.  Bit of a step up from my usual Primus!  We ate rather well all holiday though.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #262 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
Ah right, thought that might be the reason.
I have seen a T piece  for gas pipe so you can run two appliances off one gas bottle. You could up your 3.9kg to a 13kg(pretty much the same as what is in that patio gas bottle and it works out cheaper) and run off one large bottle, or a smaller one.
Something like this one
http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=907
Never really looked too much into it, we never really get them in at work.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #263 on: 04 August, 2011, 08:12:01 pm »
That could be a good call - I will investigate further!  Thanks!
Right! What's next?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #264 on: 04 August, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »
*peers at gas fittings*

*peers at Barbie horn*

*notes Mildenhall Rally at the end of the month*

:demon:

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #265 on: 04 August, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »

Vango beta 450 bought for £50 as new on ebay ,I think even as new vango tents seem to offer extraordinary vfm. :thumbsup:

The tent in the background (green) was abandoned and is now in our shed waiting for a new pole.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #266 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:07:16 am »
Here's mine

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

The Mechanic

« Reply #267 on: 09 August, 2011, 10:45:41 am »
Here is my Wild Country Duolite Tourer pitched at the C&CC site in Tarland

PH

« Reply #268 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:00:00 am »
That tent looks huge.  Have you used it much?  What do you think of it?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #269 on: 10 August, 2011, 07:25:08 am »
Here's mine

Why do I imagine that the interior has a shag pile carpet, cocktail bar, disco lights and a revolving circular bed?    ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

The Mechanic

« Reply #270 on: 10 August, 2011, 08:13:25 am »
That tent looks huge.  Have you used it much?  What do you think of it?

It has a very large porch area that is supposed to be able to take a bike.  I have not had my bike in there yet but there is loads of space for kit etc.  I have used it for a weekend (al la pics) and on my Way of the Roses trip (3 nights under canvas).  I am very pleased with it.  Here is a pic of the bike loaded for the WotR ride.

Arriving in the Promised Land

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #271 on: 12 August, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
We just too our new MSR Mutha Hubba out for a three night jaunt in the far north of Scotland.

We endured one night of extremely heavy rain and some very stiff breezes, with the tent proving to cope with them very well.  There was also plenty of room for two inside (it's a rooms 3 person tent), the porches were large enough to use a Trangia safely while it rained outside and it was very quick and easy to erect.

All round excellent tent.  Five stars.

« Reply #272 on: 12 August, 2011, 08:56:28 pm »
Achmelvich?

(I know, wrong thread)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #273 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:08:57 pm »
Achmelvich?

(I know, wrong thread)

It is, well spotted.  What a location for a campsite, even if we didn't get the weather to fully appreciate the beach.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #274 on: 19 August, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »

We've replaced the family tent with two small backpacking tents (one Lidl and one Terra Nova LaserLarge) and a 4m x 4m tarp. It got its first airing in France this summer and we're really pleased - it's lighter than the family tent and allows one person to set off with one tent and join the others later, provides better shade cover allowing a longer morning lie in, and provides good sitting/cooking space when it's raining too.

Here are the bikes laden with camping stuff, plus obligatory stroppy teenage daughter.