Author Topic: Tent pics...  (Read 215905 times)

Re: Tent pics...
« Reply #100 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »
Hilleberg do not joint their poles but they have had problems with their 9mm alloy poles on Nallo 2 and 2GT models.   Oddly, or maybe not, the poles on a 3 and 3GT don't seem to suffer the same way.    Hilleberg are at least good enough to replace faulty poles though.

I notice that the poles on my new Nammatj 3GT are 10mm and not tapered, rather sleeved at the joins.   

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #101 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:44:18 pm »
Here

I could have slept in one of the tents, but preferred to sleep under the stars.

Mauritania by John Spooner, on Flickr
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #102 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
a spacepacker! That takes me back 2n years!

I used to have one with a cotton inner. Lovely tent to sleep in, never any condensation.

Didn't cope with howling gales tho'. Got flattened by a gale in the lakes once - pole snapped when tent was crushed flat. Saunders replaced it free of charge.

I can't find any pictures at the moment  ???, but I have the one with a cotton liner from at least 20 years ago and its still going strong! I found the pole sprung back when the wind was strong enough to bend it in but flattened other tents.

« Reply #103 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:45:02 pm »
The spirit 200+ is a cheap Hilleberg Nallo GT copy - only they failed to copy the poles and instead decided to engineer in an angled joint in the middle of each pole to concentrate all the stress and strain. Then, they decided to make this highly stressed piece of the pole out of the same thin/lightweight aluminium as the rest of the poles. Two out of three broke within 6 weeks (tent up and down almost daily in this time).
Vango consider poles to be 'consumables' and don't warranty them. Unfortunately, the tent was bought long before it got intensive use otherwise I'd be pursuing them under the 'not fit for purpose' banner.
Anyone else had problems with this on this tent? Was thinking of getting one. Vango did replace some fibreglass poles of mine on a cheapish tent years ago so they seem to have changed their policy.

Angled joint sounds odd - the small hoop on my Coleman Cobra has angles but it hasn't been subjected to much.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #104 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:34:41 am »
The spirit 200+ is a cheap Hilleberg Nallo GT copy - only they failed to copy the poles and instead decided to engineer in an angled joint in the middle of each pole to concentrate all the stress and strain. Then, they decided to make this highly stressed piece of the pole out of the same thin/lightweight aluminium as the rest of the poles. Two out of three broke within 6 weeks (tent up and down almost daily in this time).
Vango consider poles to be 'consumables' and don't warranty them. Unfortunately, the tent was bought long before it got intensive use otherwise I'd be pursuing them under the 'not fit for purpose' banner.
Anyone else had problems with this on this tent? Was thinking of getting one. Vango did replace some fibreglass poles of mine on a cheapish tent years ago (I did neglect to tell them about the truly horrendous winds one night in Barmouth) - so they seem to have changed their policy.

Angled joint sounds odd - the small hoop on my Coleman Cobra has angles but it hasn't been subjected to much.

If it's any help, I met up with a friend who had looked at our tent before we left and then bought himself one - he had exactly the same problem!

I was just going to get two replacement pole pieces (available online for c.£7 a piece), clean and reproof it and then sell it on with a hefty 'caveat emptor'. There is one tear in the fly to repair too but that should be straightforward as it's only a few inches long (sharp stick came through in high winds to scare the bejesus out of us!).
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Nightfly

« Reply #105 on: 30 September, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »

I very nearly bought a Vango Spirit 200+ for the extended porch. Glad I didn't now. Still looking. I like the MSR two man tents but pricey, also the Vaude Hogans which are a bit cheaper. Decathlon do good stuff at affordable prices so maybe I'll check them out.

gordon taylor

« Reply #106 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

That's my Vango Spirit 200+ (note the bear locker at the end of the bench)

I reckon it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought, I think it's been pitched 200+ times all over the world, by nearly everone in the family.

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #107 on: 01 October, 2010, 08:46:20 am »

I very nearly bought a Vango Spirit 200+ for the extended porch. Glad I didn't now. Still looking. I like the MSR two man tents but pricey, also the Vaude Hogans which are a bit cheaper. Decathlon do good stuff at affordable prices so maybe I'll check them out.

Good plan.  Decathlon  :thumbsup:

EDIT: see reply #35 of this thread

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #108 on: 02 October, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »

That's my Vango Spirit 200+ (note the bear locker at the end of the bench)

I reckon it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought, I think it's been pitched 200+ times all over the world, by nearly everone in the family.

:facepalm: At first I read bear as beer. Now that would be my type of campsite  :thumbsup:
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

rr

« Reply #109 on: 02 October, 2010, 10:01:14 pm »
Our £50 Netto cheapo, 6 person and too big for the garden so pitched on the green at the front. It was my birthday and we had dinner in it.
I also have a jet packer plus

PH

« Reply #110 on: 04 October, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »
My TN standing up to all the Hebrides can throw at it

And I like it's big doors

LEE

« Reply #111 on: 04 October, 2010, 08:52:58 pm »

I've been on the verge of buying a Spirit 200+ for 5 years and this is the first bad review I've seen.  There must be thousands of them out there.

« Reply #112 on: 07 October, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »
Taken 2003 whilst pitched at Ceret during a tree-bending storm that lasted all day.

The tent is a Saunders Spacepacker.  It did exceedingly well.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #113 on: 15 October, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »
I've got one of these Jetpacker and Jetpacker Plus the one with the single pole.  I bought it for backpacking as it's only 1.4kg, but getting in/out is tricky.  At least you can take the inner down and pack away before the flysheet if it's raining.  I used it up in Snowdonia last weekend.  Still a great tent, but if you want to cook in the minimal porch you have to lie on your tummy and hang out the door.  I like the idea of something a touch bigger with a side entrance for non-back packing.

Edit - it's the Jetpacker I've got, not the bigger one

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #114 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »

« Reply #115 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »
Fabulous! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #116 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:01:46 pm »
We had to borrow a friend's garden to put it up in, but it has been tested and proven to be a 4 monkey tent, so long as they're good friends.  And you could just about fit three Crinklies in it, whilst the cubs are small anyway :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:19:21 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #118 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:44:32 am »
Marvellous.  That's rather exciting.

I notice that there was some trampolining happening in the background.  Is this an essential part of helping with the erecting of this tent?  If so, I could foresee difficulties...
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #119 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:48:42 am »
Oh dear, Clarion, how could you fail to understand? Trampolining is an essential part of life.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #120 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:49:35 am »
Although I might struggle to fit a trampoline on the rack.....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #121 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
Oh dear, Clarion, how could you fail to understand? Trampolining is an essential part of life.

Yes, I see that.  But can one get a trampoline in the panniers? ???

Actually, scratch that.  I tour with Butterfly.  She's probably already packed one ;D
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #122 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:55:52 am »
Well, the bouncy-stretchy bit should pack down ok, it's the frame and the sides that are going to be a problem. As you're camping, you'll have a tent, and tents have frames, so there is room for something to be improvised.  ;D Sides? Don't need them, just make sure you bounce somewhere soft and, er... bouncy!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #123 on: 19 October, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
My TN standing up to all the Hebrides can throw at it

And I like it's big doors

Which TN is that ? The big door looks ace.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #124 on: 19 October, 2010, 01:53:44 pm »
Which TN is that ? The big door looks ace.
Solar 2.2, by the look