Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102848 times)

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #300 on: 19 November, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
I was just about to post that...

The IQ-X is much the same price as an Edelux II, and is an pretty much an unknown quantity as far as reliability and beam pattern is concerned (other than on the B+M page).
The Edelux II is known bombproof, and the same as the Cyo Premium in beam pattern.

10 or 20 lux difference isn't going to be noticeable without direct flip-flop comparison

« Reply #301 on: 19 November, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »
Though nobody has a IQ-X yet? (just pre-orders I think?)

« Reply #302 on: 19 November, 2015, 05:35:02 pm »
Very happy with my Edelux II and has seen me well in some very dark places and fast descents!

Also run mine from SON Delux on wheel built by Mike Conway (as one of three) and very happy with the wheels too.

I thought long and hard about the USB charging option, but decided that reliability was paramount.

« Reply #303 on: 19 November, 2015, 07:51:24 pm »
Though nobody has a IQ-X yet? (just pre-orders I think?)
Yes, "article in 4 weeks available" at Rose.

According to another German seller (who doesn't give a date) "The lamp can be rotated by 180 ° in the holder, as well as a hanging assembly is possible". This would probably be of interest to some people.

« Reply #304 on: 22 November, 2015, 09:16:36 pm »
Very happy with my Edelux II and has seen me well in some very dark places and fast descents!

Also run mine from SON Delux on wheel built by Mike Conway (as one of three) and very happy with the wheels too.

I thought long and hard about the USB charging option, but decided that reliability was paramount.

Thanks Veloman & the others in this thread, just ordered the edelux II - guess i'll get a cache battrey for any USB charging.  Reliability has to win on Audax <crosses fingers>  :thumbsup:

« Reply #305 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:40:47 am »
Bottoms!

I now have two of these.  The first must be well over a year old and never given any trouble.  The second is just a few months old and fitted to my new Surly.

The weekend before last I noticed the red LED built into the handlebar switch of the newer light was glowing much brighter than I remember.  The same was true last Wednesday evening.  Then the light started flashing and wouldn't switch off.  I disconnected it from the hub but still the flashing continued, obviously powered by the cache battery.

I contacted Rose and have just sent it back to them.  Thus far their returns system seems very smooth and I sent it back for free.  We'll wait to see what happens next.

In the meantime I have taken the older light off the Ribble and it seems quite happy on the Surly.

Had similar problem on wife's bike yesterday.......disappointing as this light has rarely seen rain.....back to rose it goes

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #306 on: 22 May, 2016, 07:47:35 pm »
My Luxos failed yesterday. It was bought Apri 2015 and was used for about a dozen rides in 2015, the bike was in storage over winter and it's done just over 1000km this year including the one it just failed on. The power input connectors seem loose. Some power is getting to it as the standlight is fine but not enough to make it operate correctly. Have reinstalled the old Cyo. Will try for a warrantee return - from Star Bike in .de

« Reply #307 on: 23 May, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »
I have 2 lights and one of them failed. I returned it to a well known store who sent me an ex demo which also didn't work. Eventually I emailed headquarters and got a new one. 

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #308 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:59:26 pm »
My Luxos failed yesterday. It was bought Apri 2015 and was used for about a dozen rides in 2015, the bike was in storage over winter and it's done just over 1000km this year including the one it just failed on. The power input connectors seem loose. Some power is getting to it as the standlight is fine but not enough to make it operate correctly. Have reinstalled the old Cyo. Will try for a warrantee return - from Star Bike in .de

My bet would be on water ingress in the switch. I've sold some (in France) and had to deal with angry cyclists who had been let down by their light in the middle of nowhere. I am cautiously optimist about the newer ones which seem to work.
Chief cat entertainer.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #309 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:30:19 pm »
If you have one of these lights and you turn your bike upside down to clean it and slosh lots of water about you could end up in a world of regret.  No need to ask how I know this  >:( :hand:

« Reply #310 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:43:34 pm »
If you have one of these lights and you turn your bike upside down to clean it and slosh lots of water about you could end up in a world of regret.  No need to ask how I know this  >:( :hand:
.... this is how I killed my Phillips Saferide .....
Now have a Luxos B.  Trying to be more careful.

dim

« Reply #311 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »
I'm looking at dynamo lights for my Surly LHT (I will be getting a Son 28 hub).... I may be touring on very dark roads

I've been trying to decide, and from initial research, I have 3 front lights in mind ...

The new Luxos, Supernova E3 triple 2, or the Exposure Revo.

I will most probably get a rear light from the same supplier and I'm not too concerned about the rear light, as I will be getting a Dinotte rear light aswell.

If I decide on the Luxos, can I still connect an E-werk charger?

I need advice? i.e,. is there anything better than the 3 mentioned? .... this is all new to me

I'm not worried about price.
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #312 on: 02 June, 2016, 08:47:03 pm »

dim

« Reply #313 on: 02 June, 2016, 09:06:42 pm »
Why not the IQ-X?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92607.0

nice.... thanks ... I will have a close look at this  :thumbsup:
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #314 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:43:03 am »
If you connect a Luxos, why would you want an E-Werk as well?

(Yes, you can connect both, subject only to availability of piggyback spade connectors, but if you're happy with a USB output, I genuinely don't see a reason to.)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #315 on: 03 June, 2016, 07:53:43 am »
I have replaced the Luxos I drowned with another one as I need and USB output.

But I'd be interested to understand how you could use a e-work with a light that didn't have a USB output. Does it require complicated wiring and soldering?

« Reply #316 on: 03 June, 2016, 12:12:38 pm »
The E-Werk connects to the dynamo output in parallel with the light, and gives you a power supply for devices or a cache battery. It doesn't connect to the USB output from (eg) a Luxos.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #317 on: 03 June, 2016, 12:27:47 pm »
But I'd be interested to understand how you could use a e-work with a light that didn't have a USB output. Does it require complicated wiring and soldering?

It connects directly to the dynamo, in parallel with any lights you may or may not have.

This doesn't fall under my definition of complicated wiring, though I accept I have a fairly high tolerance for such things.

Soldering probably.  Or crimping.  Or both.  Probably some heatshrink too.  I've solved this problem by fitting a Tamiya socket in line with the dynamo supply to the lighting in a convenient position, which I can then plug a e-werk equivalent device into.  The textbook approach seems to involve piggyback spade connectors at the dynamo terminals, which strikes me as favouring installation simplicity over practicality, but does I suppose mean you can easily bypass all the charging related wiring at the roadside if something goes wrong.  I suppose you have to get creative if the dynamo terminals are a Shimano-type connector.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #318 on: 03 June, 2016, 12:42:13 pm »
That sounds complicated, I thought it might do. And I have Shimano dynohubs.

Some clever person needs to provide a kit of bits which allows you to connect any light and an e-work into a dynohub. I'd buy such a kit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #319 on: 03 June, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »
*ponders*

Kits of bits are easy enough, but the tricky bit is making the connection to what's going to be some dangling bare wires at the light (and possibly the charger, too).  That's going to require something that needs a tool, be it solder and heatshrink, spade connectors or whatever.  I suppose a choc-block could work with a simple screwdriver, but it's going to be fugly...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #320 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:19:29 pm »
I can crimp spade connectors onto bare wire and do the heat shrink thing. Anything else is beyond me and I also need Janet and John instructions for what to connect to what and in which order.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #321 on: 03 June, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »

It connects directly to the dynamo, in parallel with any lights you may or may not have.
Like this

Oscar's dad

« Reply #322 on: 03 June, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »
Really, it's that simple???  Even I could do that!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #323 on: 03 June, 2016, 02:42:20 pm »
Like this

Eew, but on the other hand, if you don't mind leaving that wiring in place, why not?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #324 on: 03 June, 2016, 03:20:30 pm »
So what's your solution Kim?  I'll need pictures!