Author Topic: Alternative Brompton shifters  (Read 4089 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Alternative Brompton shifters
« on: 25 June, 2022, 07:27:17 pm »
The barrel on my S2L shifter has broken.  I'm going to try to Araldite it back together, but should it not work, it looks like they only want to sell me a new one complete with attached brake lever, for £36.  I'd prefer not to spend that many squids, so are there any third party alternatives I should consider?

(Yes, there's the option of mounting one of my collection of ancient friction bar-ends.  I'm considering options for this as I type.)

Re: Alternative Brompton shifters
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2022, 08:12:24 pm »
Hi, is it the 2 speed gear shifter for the left hand lever? If useful, I have the shifter only, which attaches to the 2017 and later brake levers (see https://www.perennialcycle.com/media/wysiwyg/files/ds-gshift2.pdf).

It's unused, I think it came with the brake levers when I replaced them, but I run a DIY 6 speed setup with a double chainring, so have a simple friction shifter for this.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2022, 08:47:08 pm »
Hi, is it the 2 speed gear shifter for the left hand lever? If useful, I have the shifter only, which attaches to the 2017 and later brake levers (see https://www.perennialcycle.com/media/wysiwyg/files/ds-gshift2.pdf).

It's unused, I think it came with the brake levers when I replaced them, but I run a DIY 6 speed setup with a double chainring, so have a simple friction shifter for this.

Yes, that's the one.  Will PM you.

(Thanks Goldcrank but the S2L is a 2 speed model)

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:24:44 am »
It just goes to show the importance of reading the question...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2022, 01:30:32 pm »
Thanks.  It looks like James has sorted me out for now but that's useful to know.