Author Topic: Brommie cream cheese and compressed oats pedals.  (Read 4226 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Brommie cream cheese and compressed oats pedals.
« on: 08 September, 2022, 08:32:09 am »
I'm getting fed up with replacing my Brommie cream cheese and compressed oats pedals and would like something that lasts longer than a year....Any suggestions for a relatively low budget option ?

Re: Brommie cream cheese and compressed oats pedals.
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2022, 08:48:01 am »
Flat pedals?

I replaced the right hand pedal with one of these, or a clone, which seems to have very decent bearings:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Flat-Grip-Pedals_235388.htm

And I've just left the stock folding pedal as it is. That's starting to annoy me though, as the hinge seems to force my foot further out than I'd like it. I'm considering MKS FD-7 as a replacement:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/mks-fd7-folding-pedals/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2022, 10:38:38 am »
Removable pedals are the go-to upgrade for Bromptons, either MKS EZY (more readily available) or Wellgo QRD (has a SPD clone that's compatible with Shimano cleats).  Means you can take the left pedal off, so it doesn't stick out when folded, and swap between clipless and flats, which is occasionally handy.  I don't think any of them are particularly cheap, though.

I got through several sets of cheapo folding pedals on my folding BSO before I discovered real bikes.  The plastic ones were simply terrible, whereas the metal ones at least lasted long enough for the bearings to go.  False economy.

I know some people are happy with a non-folding SPD or similar on the left, which doesn't stick out as much as a flat pedal.  Depends on what you're doing with the folded bike, I suppose.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
Mate has the Wellgo removable hybrid SPDs.  Only the left one really needs removing for small folded size.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2022, 04:50:33 pm »
HK has Wellgos on her Brompton and Moulton, variously flat, SPD- and Keo-compatible. The crank socket inevitably wears after a fair mileage and the axle then has a little play (like a worn bearing). Not cheap but there isn’t a better option IMHO.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2022, 08:59:41 am »
Which are the quick release spd wellgo pedals? The wellgo web shite - is. WPD-801 is listed under the qrd section but I can't find any confirmation they are quick release nor photos of them separated. Also many pedals under qrd look distinctly one piece.

Thanks
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2022, 10:46:31 am »
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32784387476.html looks like the SPD-compatible pedals that HK has. Do a search for Wellgo QRD but not the Wellgo website. I suspect that the website is optimised for OEM, showing Wellgo's customers which pedals can be fitted with QRD axles, not showing pictures of pedals with QRD axles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...