Author Topic: Arrivee.  (Read 21746 times)

Re: Arrivee.
« Reply #100 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
What have I missed ?

A plot line that could have been written by The League of Gentlemen

:thumbsup:

Does it involve the tortoise ? ..........  Please,please tell me it involves the tortoise
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »
Ah the tortoise - possibly my favourite LofG moment ... sigh ...

But no - this isn't as funny as that. Best to let it lie IMHO ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:56:21 pm »
....but every bit as surreal

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #103 on: 30 November, 2014, 08:09:39 pm »
What have I missed ?

Does it involve the tortoise ? ..........  Please,please tell me it involves the tortoise

I have always felt uneasy refilling my tyre with CO2 because of the tortoise.  :-\
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #104 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:19:39 am »
What have I missed ?

I have always felt uneasy refilling my tyre with CO2 because of the tortoise.  :-\

The tortoise's cousin (me-shell), does get a sort-of revenge a few years later. (Tortoises -2, humans -4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD7mnoMBjCE
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Martin

« Reply #105 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »
strange that the Feb edition is online at least a week before it hits our doormats  :-\

big chunky edition though  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »
Once the editor has emailed the printer, putting a mag online can't take long but the printer has to do the physical printing, pack the mags and deal with Royal Mail, who don't yet possess a TARDIS to translocate your copy...

« Reply #107 on: 27 January, 2015, 08:53:07 am »
Re February 2015 Arrivee on line:   Is it me?   I find it practically impossible to read this issue on line, I can't seem to enlarge the print so that it is readable, the page seems to "lock " after a short time so nothing affects the view.   In several attempts I have not been able to successfully read any of the articles.    I keep getting something up asking me to subscribe to something or other.
What am I doing wrong or is anyone else having this problem, I don't remember having this problem with previous editions when they went on line.   

« Reply #108 on: 27 January, 2015, 08:09:56 pm »
Once you've got the page showing, just clicking on it makes it readable - or it does for me.  Hope this helps.

peter

MarkA

« Reply #109 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:15:14 pm »
I have logged into issue clip (had to sign up) and this has allowed me to download as PDF and its easy to read.  I don't know if this was necessary but its worked for me. Can I now opt out of receiving the paper copy?

« Reply #110 on: 07 February, 2015, 08:56:21 am »
Can I now opt out of receiving the paper copy?

Not at the moment.  I supppose we could add an opt-out facility to the membership details screen and exclude such records from the mailing list routine, nothing very technical but we've got other priorities occupying our boffins for now.  Why not pass your unwanted copy onto a cycling friend?  Show them how much fun is to be had with this long distance cycling lark.

You should have received your Arrivee by now, that's if you managed to renew your membership by early January.  For those who renewed after that I'll be sending out their copies when I get a moment (and while stocks last!).

« Reply #111 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:40:01 am »
Enjoyed Richard Betts article,How Audax cycling saved my life.Well done that man.

« Reply #112 on: 08 February, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »
I get a mention. Once.

Which is pretty good really.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #113 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:50:15 pm »
Enjoyed Richard Betts article,How Audax cycling saved my life.Well done that man.
+1

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #114 on: 09 February, 2015, 11:06:54 am »
Nice to see my name on the roll of honour (for those that have done a 200!- sad I know). Have not had a chance to read it yet as I have been finishing off this month's Procycling.

I am thinking of writing and submitting something to Arrivee, will see how my time goes.

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #115 on: 09 February, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »
Just a word of caution, not everything that is submitted gets published.  I spent a lot of time and effort writing an article that never made it into print.  It was rejected for the first Arrivee on grounds of space (apparently), but never appeared in the next edition either.  I did email the editor about 10 days ago to try and discover why it had been rejected, but I haven't received any explanation as yet.  But we are all busy people!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #116 on: 09 February, 2015, 07:26:28 pm »
I can envisage all sorts of practical reasons why that might happen, but without knowing the specifics I won't speculate. However, I'm sure the editors meant no slight by the omission and would have been grateful for your submission.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #117 on: 09 February, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »
We are all busy people and Arrivée editors rotate, so that whoever did not publish your article might not be in charge of a subsequent issue.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #118 on: 09 February, 2015, 10:47:50 pm »
I have no expectation of anything I write being published but the exercise itself will be fun!

« Reply #119 on: 09 February, 2015, 10:53:12 pm »
It's probably good overall (obviously not so much for you, crazy diamond - may I suggest the ride report board here as an alternative?), as there always used to be a call-out for more material.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #120 on: 11 February, 2015, 03:34:11 pm »
Just a word of caution, not everything that is submitted gets published.  I spent a lot of time and effort writing an article that never made it into print.  It was rejected for the first Arrivee on grounds of space (apparently), but never appeared in the next edition either.  I did email the editor about 10 days ago to try and discover why it had been rejected, but I haven't received any explanation as yet.  But we are all busy people!

I'd resubmit it for the next edition - which is the one which is usually short of material - people don't tend to do rides they want to write up in the winter. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #121 on: 11 February, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »
Slightly surprising places you've spotted Arrivée in the wild #6842:
Rapha HQ, this morning.

It was the one with Martin & Mary Jane on the cover.

Met several of the Rapha audax posse too - James, Ultan, Yannis and others. Lovely chaps & chapesses. Sounds like they're sending quite a contingent to the Bryan Chapman and PBP this year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #122 on: 11 February, 2015, 07:56:38 pm »
As a corresponding reaction, I expect the hottest sportives to be full of gnarly old men with grey beards, SPD sandals and manky socks, riding old steel frames with mouldy Carradices swaying from their moth eaten saddles.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #123 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »
Slightly surprising places you've spotted Arrivée in the wild #6842:
Rapha HQ, this morning.

It was the one with Martin & Mary Jane on the cover.

Met several of the Rapha audax posse too - James, Ultan, Yannis and others. Lovely chaps & chapesses. Sounds like they're sending quite a contingent to the Bryan Chapman and PBP this year.

I feel the Rapha write-ups for the 2011 Bryan Chapman and PBP show Audax in a positive light to what is most likely a sportive-biased audience, especially the penultimate paragraph of the BCM article:

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/the-audax-diaries-bryan-chapman-2011
http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/pbp-2011-four-journeys

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #124 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:58:57 pm »
That Rapha article and video were responsible for my "issues" :facepalm: