Author Topic: Talk to me about Nikon FX DSLRs  (Read 1359 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Talk to me about Nikon FX DSLRs
« on: 11 August, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »
No interest in DX whatsoever as I want DOF to be the same as for 35mm, which is pretty much an ideal compromise between the ability to get everything sharp and the ability to blow out the background.  Don't really care about AF, metering or any automated crap and may well use cheap s/h Nikkor AIS manual lenses.  So really it's just performing as a digital back and all that matters is image quality.  FX bodies have now come down to a semi-affordable price and it looks as if (contrary to rumours) Nikon are actually sticking with the product line.

Is the D610 a good choice?  Or is the D750 worth the extra $DEITY THAT'S A LOT?

(Yes, I am aware that it will not last as long as an FM2 or something and will be a worthless hunk of junk in a couple of years' time...but that's the curse of digital.  Unfortunately shooting in colour means digital now Reala has gone, although b/w is still way better on film).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Talk to me about Nikon FX DSLRs
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
D750 FTW.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:56:07 pm »
What's the difference in image quality, apart from the higher maximum ISO?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2015, 07:04:32 pm »
Well, I'm only talking from personal experience. Of an D750  :)

For the first time with a digital camera, I feel like I did when I used my OM system. The photos come out how I expect them to, in my mind's eye of what a photo in that situation should. It's made taking photos fun again.

The ability to recover shadow detail is extraordinary, as is the dynamic range. The focussing system is also goos enough to trust. I do still miss manual focussing, but use one of the buttons as a Back Focus button. You can customise loads of the buttons.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2015, 08:45:57 am »
What about the Sony A7, that's going cheap these days and you can use pretty much any manual focus lense on it.

If you're going manual and not using auto focus etc,  and just want a digital back, it's worth considering.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:52:57 pm »
I have a D610. Great camera - great image quality. The limiting factor is the wetware pressing the buttons.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2015, 11:25:28 pm »
Although I have D3s for my day to day work, I still sometimes use my D700 which is still a bloody good camera.  Nobody gives a toss about megapixels any more and if you're not needing massively high ISO then why pay more?  There are still some good second hand ones on the forums at the sorts of prices that make a lot of sense.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:17:57 am »
They're economically unrepairable though, so I'd be wary of a used one.  Likewise grey market - the retailer's warranty is useless and Nikon won't generally do a warranty repair for grey market stuff because they are price gouging the UK  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:33:10 am »
Still fond of my D600 after 2 years.  An official refurb should be cheap and free of the dreaded sensor muck.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight