Author Topic: Lenses for safari?  (Read 3093 times)

Lenses for safari?
« on: 17 February, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
I've just booked an African trip in the autumn and part of it will be a few days at a private game park in South Africa - something I've always wanted to do.  We'll be viewing beasties from the back of a truck rather than from in a hide and stepping off the truck for a better angle is apparently a Bad Thing.

the longest lens i've got is a 200mm (full frame) is that enough?

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: Lenses for safari?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »
I would imagine you would find it frustratingly short on occasion. How high quality are the optics on your 200mm?
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2016, 04:15:56 pm »
I suspect that having a general lens on that will be good enough is going to be the most important unless you are carrying multiple bodies as missing the shot while you change lens in a dusty environment will be most frustrating.

As to what lens that should be, I will leave that as an exercise for others as I haven't a clue. e.g. something wide for landscapes or long for individual animals.

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2016, 04:41:50 pm »
I would imagine you would find it frustratingly short on occasion. How high quality are the optics on your 200mm?

Good (its an L), and I can fit a 2x converter and it's just about OK - but putting on & taking off the converter is a PITA. 

I do have 2 bodies so might take a general zoom on one (24-70ish) and the long lens on the other.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2016, 05:11:03 pm »
My suggestion was going to be a teleconverter to bring you up to 400mm if you had the lens for it. From sports and wildlife experience that's where you start to usefully turn the Dougal paradox on its head. It's also the length that seems to catch the detail required to convey a really close encounter. You should also benefit from stronger light to not suffer some of the limitations that teleconverters present. If I was heading off on safari I would still probably invest in a converter to use with my 400mm. I don't think it's the case that less is more under these circumstances.
Two bodies sounds very sensible.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »
I've just booked an African trip in the autumn and part of it will be a few days at a private game park in South Africa - something I've always wanted to do.  We'll be viewing beasties from the back of a truck rather than from in a hide and stepping off the truck for a better angle is apparently a Bad Thing.

the longest lens i've got is a 200mm (full frame) is that enough?

200mm full frame, stepping off the truck? Your name will be lunch.  ;D ;D ;D

I would have thought that would be too short. Photographing cars on a track with DX, 150mm is ok as long as I'm very close to the track but for anything else I use an 80-400.

What about renting some glassware for the trip?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »
My family did this when I was a teen, though I was mostly shooting Hi8 video (for which the main challenge was electrons[1], staying still in uncomfortable positions for prolonged periods, and field-servicing the tape mechanism when it jammed).  My dad got some lovely stills on 35mm film with a 170-500mm.

I'd suggest you want 400mm upwards, unless the critters are particularly well trained.  (You can get surprisingly close in a vehicle, as they don't consider them a threat, but the interesting stuff is always *over there*.)  See if hiring a big lens is an option?

Teleconverters are handy (if only for the obligatory sunset shot), but be aware that wildlife is most interesting around dawn and dusk, so you won't necessarily have oodles of light.  If you'll be venturing out after dark a powerful flash is worth having, but don't expect miracles.

Monopod is the thing to use for the back of the Landcruiser, though a tripod's worth having too.

The 24-70 on a second body sounds like a good idea.

Bring plenty of lens cleaning supplies and some jeweller's screwdrivers.

Practice your manual focussing, there will be undergrowth in the way.

Don't leave your delicate tape mechanism in a black camera bag in direct sunlight for an hour.

Don't black out from hyponatraemia just as you close in on an elusive species of antelope, or if you do, make sure you switch back to full-auto first so whoever takes the camera doesn't just film a couple of leaves with antelope-shaped bokeh.

Don't photograph interesting insects by the light of a head torch.  They may have wings.

[1] I smuggled 6kg of AAs past the luggage weigh-in at Heathrow, which helped.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2016, 07:11:30 pm »
Naa work on your 200m sprint and go macro that is where wildlife photography is at :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »
We did some of that, and it's much harder to get close to animals on foot.  As soon as you become a human rather than a big oily thing, three million years worth of survival instincts kick in and they tend to scarper.  Unless they're a hungry predator, or a pissed off hippo or similar.

Otherwise, sneaky bastard tactics are required.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »
I once did a private game park and The Kruger with an Olympus XA. On account of some <redacted> stealing my kit the week before I went.

Hire or invest in a compromise longer lens, I'd say.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2016, 10:31:55 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 17 February, 2016, 11:06:25 pm »
This is why so many Wildlife photographers go for crop sensor bodies.

I'd be tempted to take your current camera and buy a Canon Bridge camera, like the SX60 HS for long shots. It has an equiv 1365mm telephoto, stabilised.

They are £300 and you'd get most of that back on Ebay.  Cheaper than renting something.

OK, it's not like a Canon L lens but presumably it will be sunny and bright so low-light noise won't be an issue and you shouldn't need f2.8.   

My reasoning is that, if it can go out to 1365mm then it should be pretty good at 800mm.

200mm on a full frame is used as a portrait lens by many people.  By the time you fill the frame with a Lion you'd be shaking with fear too much to get a decent shot.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2016, 08:35:58 am »
This was my experience in 2013 - this was a 2 week safari in Botswana.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76667.msg1587425#msg1587425

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2016, 09:14:46 am »

brilliant pics!

So I need more length... the canon 100-400 is a bit pricey but there are sigma & tamron 150-600s that get reasonable writeups, I might try and borrow one and see what it's like.   Bridge camera is a very good idea too, I'll do some research on that (although I dont really need *another* camera..)

sadly this lens is no longer available: http://www.photographybay.com/2016/02/01/bh-sold-its-180000-canon-ef-1200mm-lens-yesterday/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:03:45 am »

Bridge camera is a very good idea too, I'll do some research on that (although I dont really need *another* camera..)

Just sell it on when you get back.  (Although my guess is that you'll enjoy having a 21mm - 1365mm zoom (Digital zoom to 5460mm) so much you'll find a reason to keep it).

What I love about this demo is that every time I watch it I can't believe it. (although it seems to employ "digital zoom" at the far end.  Sometimes they use the centre of the sensor to give a crop-factor magnification).  Impressive no?  I think they are drinking regular Coke and Diet Coke, possible Red-Stripe Beer, even so you don't expect to be able to identify drink cans at that distance.

SX 60 HS Zoom range on Video

Seems that it's older sibling, the SX50, had a pretty sharp lens.  Here's a video of a Boeing 777 about 11km away!!!

Plane 11km away

I think that, if you can read the registration numbers of planes 11km away then it should provide pretty sharp images of wildlife  a few hundred yards away in bright sunlight.

RAW files as well (I wanted to say "Roar Files"... Oh, I just did).

Damn it!!!!  Now I want one to play with.

Of course nothing will stabilise a 1365mm focal length other than a tripod and even then you'd need a heavy one to deal with even a slight breeze I suspect.
I reckon a Joby "Gorilla Pod" clamped on top of a Land Rover Roll-Cage would be adequate for 800mm though. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
The Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is pretty good, and cheap too.  Sharp at full stretch (although it gets fuzzy on a converter). Stabilization is superb.

OTOH Charlotte's option would give you more oomph.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:37:40 am »

brilliant pics!

So I need more length... the canon 100-400 is a bit pricey but there are sigma & tamron 150-600s that get reasonable writeups, I might try and borrow one and see what it's like.   Bridge camera is a very good idea too, I'll do some research on that (although I dont really need *another* camera..)

sadly this lens is no longer available: http://www.photographybay.com/2016/02/01/bh-sold-its-180000-canon-ef-1200mm-lens-yesterday/

Whatever lens you take needs to be fast as well as long. It is a mistake to think you will be shooting in good light all the time. My experience was that you are rarely doing so. The best times for game viewing are dawn + 2hrs and dusk -2hrs. Because I was using a teleconverter I was having to push ISO higher than I wanted to gat the shot, remember your subjects are rarely static. Outside the ideal times you are often shooting from intense light to deep shade without the benefit of flash. As I said in my post, this was some of the most difficult photography I've done - easy to get a photograph much more difficult to get a reasonable, let alone a good one!

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2016, 01:46:43 pm »
Canon do make a lens that would be pretty much perfect for you. 9.3mm-930mm f1.7 - ok it's a tv lens designed for 2/3'ds so you would have to use a smaller sensor body (there pictures around of it mounted to such)

I don't know how much they cost to rent, but they are a little on the expensive side to buy.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »
I don't know how much they cost to rent, but they are a little on the expensive side to buy.

As much as a 3 Bed semi-detached house in South Manchester in fact !!!!

Lenses cost about 5% of their RRP per day to rent.

So a £200 lens = £10 a day.

On that basis it would cost about £140,000 to rent a Canon DIGISUPER for 2 weeks.

« Reply #19 on: 19 February, 2016, 03:19:58 pm »
So I need more length... the canon 100-400 is a bit pricey but there are sigma & tamron 150-600s that get reasonable writeups, I might try and borrow one and see what it's like.
Tamron 150-600 here, asking price £550, Norfolk
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=319579

« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2016, 03:38:47 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 19 February, 2016, 04:04:13 pm »
You could get a new one for close to that...

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=24943&setcurrency=gbp&gclid=CLf5qZuUhMsCFQrpwgodj1ECTg

Shipped from China, could be £148 or more to pay for tax and tax collection.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●