Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2019  (Read 31078 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Dutch brevets in 2019
« Reply #50 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »
We might hit the 100 riders on saturday. So everyone who's not staying at the hostel, please be on time so there won't be a long line 10 minutes before the ride starts.

Excellent. 99 people to be in front of me :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 16 November, 2018, 06:29:20 pm »

I'll be there and I'm staying at the hostel as well. I'll probably be in the bar with a beer around 8pm (in case you're bored and want some company).

I'm here. Am in the bar, feel free to come say hi.

J
--

« Reply #52 on: 17 November, 2018, 09:32:37 pm »

I'll be there and I'm staying at the hostel as well. I'll probably be in the bar with a beer around 8pm (in case you're bored and want some company).

I'm here. Am in the bar, feel free to come say hi.

J

I was there, just a couple of minutes late.

Anyway, a nice day in the wind today. Very fast first half with a huge tailwind, then across the storm surge barrier in the Oosterschelde (always an impressive sight) and a quite slow second half into a huge headwind. Somehow ended up doing the headwind half solo... But made it back before dark. Now on the boring 4+ hours train journey home,

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 17 November, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »

I was there, just a couple of minutes too late.

Anyway, a nice day in the wind today. Very fast first half with a huge tailwind, then across the storm surge barrier in the Oosterschelde (always an impressive sight) and a quite slow second half into a huge headwind. Somehow ended up doing the headwind half solo... But made it back before dark. Now on an the boring 4+ hours train journey home,
[/quote]

I made it with my signature 25 minutes to spare. That wind was brutal. I did the whole 204km solo. Now on a train back to Amsterdam. That's my 11th 200km Brevet this year.

Am bloody cold tho. Hopefully will warm up a bit now I'm on a train. One day I'll do a ride outside of the summer months where I can feel my feet. Today is not that day.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:50:58 am »

Ivo,

Is the list in the first post of this thread correct? It's listing the January ride as an Arnhem ride? the website suggests it's in Bunnik?

J
--

« Reply #55 on: 20 November, 2018, 09:38:27 am »

Ivo,

Is the list in the first post of this thread correct? It's listing the January ride as an Arnhem ride? the website suggests it's in Bunnik?

J

There has been a change. The Frank Simons Memorial is rescheduled to september, the january ride now starts from Bunnik.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »

There has been a change. The Frank Simons Memorial is rescheduled to september, the january ride now starts from Bunnik.

Thought so. Worth editing the original post?

J
--

« Reply #57 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:07:02 pm »

Thought so. Worth editing the original post?

J

Done, I was a bit too busy with entering all the rides in the NTFU system, in this way at least everyone will be insured ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 09 January, 2019, 12:27:03 am »

Ivo,

Any idea what this ride is:

BRM 300 Heerlen     za    23-03-19    9:00         Verrassing !!!

My limited Dutch tells me the name translates as "Surprise!"... which makes me nervous...

J
--

« Reply #59 on: 09 January, 2019, 09:32:22 am »

Ivo,

My limited Dutch tells me the name translates as "Surprise!"... which makes me nervous...

J

As I've seen the route already, it's quite harmless. You'll do fine.

rob

« Reply #60 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:17:21 am »
Does anyone know if the Dutch Capitals will be back on in 2020 ?

I really enjoyed it in 2012 and it might fit quite neatly next year.

« Reply #61 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:09:22 am »

It's not scheduled but we're working on an alternative

rob

« Reply #62 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:38:38 am »

It's not scheduled but we're working on an alternative

:thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 09 January, 2019, 12:31:08 pm »

Ivo,

J

As I've seen the route already, it's quite harmless. You'll do fine.

That's a shame: I was hoping for quite some vertical meters in the Eiffel or the Ardennes. We haven't had a tough 300 in the Netherlands since the last time the Ardennes Triangle was run  ;D

« Reply #64 on: 09 January, 2019, 07:32:28 pm »
Maybe that's the surprise, a flat South Limburg brevet  ;)
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #65 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:23:19 pm »
Maybe that's the surprise, a flat South Limburg brevet  ;)

Well, it's benign for Limburg standards. I know of a randonneur from the the Hague region who would object to calling it benign ;).

The Heerlen 200 will be completely different, heading into the Eiffel mountain range.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 10 January, 2019, 10:12:31 am »
After doing most of my riding in the Netherlands in the first four months of this year, with the biggest climb being the last dune before the water tower approaching The Hague, I approached the hills of the Porkers with some trepidation.  However, all that training riding in a flat treeless landscape into force 5 - 6 winds was perfect for developing the leg strength to grind up the Wessex Hills, and I was climbing better than my peers.

The first Dutchmen to win a stage in the Tour, Theo Middelkamp, had never seen a mountain or even a hill before entering the Tour de France of 1936. Yet, he still managed to win a big mountain stage in that race.
(just browsing thru and saw this)

What a great character! He truly was from a different age:
http://capovelo.com/theo-middelkamp/

At an early age, he wanted to be a professional soccer player, but he soon realized that there was much more money to be earned in cycling, as soccer was not yet a professional sport in the Netherlands at the time.

you don't hear that very often now!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #67 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:58:44 pm »
Hi Ivo, After a great PBP in 2015 and a super Borders of Belgium, I have a taste for mainland Europe Audax now. I visited Losheimergraben in Sept, and would love to try out the Heerlen 200. That stretch on the BoB from Lille to the Triborder was beautiful, tough but superb climbs.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #68 on: 15 January, 2019, 09:42:16 am »
Hi Ivo, After a great PBP in 2015 and a super Borders of Belgium, I have a taste for mainland Europe Audax now. I visited Losheimergraben in Sept, and would love to try out the Heerlen 200. That stretch on the BoB from Lille to the Triborder was beautiful, tough but superb climbs.

The Heerlen 200 will be quite hilly, heading into the Eiffel.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: 20 January, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »

Who's doing the Bunnik 200 next weekend?

Have just signed up.

J
--

« Reply #70 on: 20 January, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »

Have just signed up.

J

Signed up, reserved 2 nights at the hostel.

« Reply #71 on: 21 January, 2019, 07:41:38 am »

Have just signed up.

J

Still in doubt, since I'm coming back from a holiday on Friday. Maybe if the weather forecast is good and I can get out of bed early enough to take the 5:38 train...

But given the turnout at the last couple of rides, I wouldn't be surprised if well over a 100 people show up.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #72 on: 21 January, 2019, 01:15:56 pm »
It would be the #12 for RRtY, so it's likely I'll be there. Forecasts are barely above freezing and rain in the afternoon, full rain gear seems advisable. And the wind will be West turning to East, meaning head wind all around, yay!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #73 on: 21 January, 2019, 07:57:02 pm »

Today's attempt at a DIY 200 to keep my RRTY going had to be Aborted due to the amount of ice I was finding. Turns out my route planning took too many back roads that don't see the gritters...

On the plus side, I now know the Dutch for "this road isn't gritted", or at least to associate a certain yellow sign with a road that is likely covered in ice.

This somewhat ups the pressure to complete Saturday's ride. I have 6 months of my RRTy complete. And only 9 days left to do a 200...

See you all Saturday!

J
--

« Reply #74 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:15:32 am »
I will be doing this 200. It is just half an hour driving and almost passes my house.
Don't need this ride for my randonneur round the year, already did a 200 in Belgium. Only 6 more months to go for the rrty.