Author Topic: Replacement Vista HCX has arrived  (Read 7177 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Replacement Vista HCX has arrived
« on: 24 December, 2009, 10:44:12 am »
The rubber surround on the old one was falling off so it was replaced under warranty. Turn-round was 4 days. Impressive.

I put the Sd card in and was rewarded, on switching on, with the friendly message "Cannot unlock maps".

I phone Garmin who immediately sent me an email with my 25 digit unlock code, but for which I would have to retrieve the CD that came with the machine (wherever it is) and load it into a PC, which we don't have (all MAC here). Dez had a PC when I bought the machine and we loaded the maps on from that.

When I told him that, he said "OK, there's another way of doing this" and he then emailed me an attachement names "gmapsupp.unl" which I dragged & dropped into the Garmin folder on the card.

As if by magic, my blood pressure returned to something close to normal and the Garmin works.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Replacement Vista HCX has arrived
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2009, 11:19:07 am »
I thought the unl file was for licensing, I have two you could have used. I've not had to change mine despite updating maps from a different device.  ::-)

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »
My rubber's falling off as well  :'(.  It's a Vista HCx and it's now two years old.  Garmin have quoted £66.66 to repair it.  I'm sure a drop of super glue would do as well.  What does the panel think?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:14:57 pm »
They're having a laugh. I used spray-on contact adhesive (as used for carpet tiles) basically because I had some to hand. Worked for me.

Edit: Ref Toontra point about the dangers of DIY. Thats the other reason I used the spray-on adhesive as its allows carpets to be lifted and cleans off with white spirit. I wouldn't have tried using something supergluey.

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
My rubber's falling off as well  :'(.  It's a Vista HCx and it's now two years old.  Garmin have quoted £66.66 to repair it.  I'm sure a drop of super glue would do as well.  What does the panel think?

They must have changed their policy recently then.  Last year they replaced my Legend out of warranty (just under 2 years old) free of charge (apart from P&P) because of the peeling rubber syndrome.  I think that's appropriate customer care, because there is obviously a design flaw in the bonding of the rubber which makes them not fit for purpose, even if over 1 year old.

I'd have another word with them and politely point this out  ;)

BTW, I wouldn't fancy trying to re-glue it myself.  There could be a lot of trial and error and it could get very messy, and reduce the chance of getting Garmin to fit it FOC, but I suppose it depends on your level of competency at these things!
The sound of one pannier flapping

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:29:44 pm »
Aye, it's a recent change.  Last autumn I asked and they gave me a returns number for a free fix, but didn't get around to it.  I mailed 'em last week, and was told it's a paid fix now.  :(

Will be doing my glueing when I get around to it...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »
I've managed to lose the bottom battery contacts on mine - fell out when i was changing batteries at the roadside :(

I've emailed them, but i expect I'll just fabricate a new bit of bendy metal.

edit: a re-engineered paper clip did it

If they demand £66 to mend it, I'll just have to weight up the pros and cons ;)

edit2: they did indeed suggest a replacement unit; no spares available. I've gently pointed out that this seems like a very good reason to never buy any of their products again ;)

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2010, 06:28:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I think there must have been a change in policy.  I haven't found them very helpful with my partner's etrex which is only weeks old and turning itself off regularly.  I've read the thread on this, but since it's new I wanted it replaced, they seemed a bit reluctant to do anything about it - and instead of sorting out the problem asap they told me to download a fix, which didn't work.  It's with them at the moment.  I hope it works when it comes back.

« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
If it's new then surely it's the retailer's problem under consumer law, and not (directly) for the manufacturer to resolve?

« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:32:50 pm »
Drossall is correct.  Your partner's etrex is covered under the Sale of Goods Act and you have to take it back to the retailer.  They are obliged to deal with the problem for you insofar as it should be repaired or replaced, or you get a full refund. 

The common retailer rubbish you can expect is:

1:  Nowt to do with us mate - you need to talk to Garmin.
2:  We need to send it away / have it assessed first.

This is rubbish and don't let them get away with it.   Just be polite and insist that they sort the problem quickly either by replacement or refund.   Realistically they are unlikely to be able to repair it.

If they are obstructive and unhelpful, take it away with you and go see your local trading standards.   Don't forget to tell the retailer that you are doing this.

Manotea

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2010, 12:57:56 pm »
Out in the rain on Saturday my eTrex Vista decided it no longer wanted to talk to the SD card, so I lost my mapping. Happily (!) I had a trackline to follow (and of course a routesheet). Later inspection showed water pentration to the battery case. I've dried everything out but it has yet to start working again. Garmin have offered a replacement for £66. I'll hang on to the weekend so I can use it on the Rural South using an Olde Worlde point to point tracklog, then if it hasn't miraculously returned to full functionality proceed with the exchange. Doubtless I'll have the same mapping licencing issues WB mentioned.

Not especially happy. Though to be fair it has been astoundingly reliable to-date and the case/screen is unmarked.

« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »
Out in the rain on Saturday my eTrex Vista decided it no longer wanted to talk to the SD card, so I lost my mapping.

It's probably not related, but I've had a similar experience with a breadown of communication between the card and the unit, but never rain related. Slightly baffled as to what was going on, I tried removing the card from the unit, and then simply reinstalling it. This did the trick. Obviously something slightly delicate going on there between the contacts of the card and the unit.

Might be worth remembering.
Garry Broad

plum

« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
Just like the OP I've just returned my HCx [Legend this time], just the unit in a box, and had a replacement, in new packaging with all the accessories, in 4 days flat. That is awesome service.

Manotea

« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »
Out in the rain on Saturday my eTrex Vista decided it no longer wanted to talk to the SD card, so I lost my mapping.

It's probably not related, but I've had a similar experience with a breadown of communication between the card and the unit, but never rain related. Slightly baffled as to what was going on, I tried removing the card from the unit, and then simply reinstalling it. This did the trick. Obviously something slightly delicate going on there between the contacts of the card and the unit.

Might be worth remembering.
Yes, I've had this before an removing/replacing the card fixed the problem but not apparently this time.

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2010, 06:49:05 am »
Garmin seem to have had a change of heart:

"You'll be pleased to hear that we can replace the unit for you for free because it is suffering from the rubber grip problem.  Please return just your GPS unit (nothing else no accessories, cables, memory cards or
lanyards)..."

They must have a lot of etrexes coming back with this fault - hence their descrcription of the rubber grip problem.

My partner received a replacement unit which works perfectly, as with others in this thread it was returned remarkably quickly.  This has restored my faith in Garmin. 

« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »
As above, Garmin seems to have returned to their no-quibble replacement for the "rubber" issue.  I just rang and explained that the rubber was coming away from the top of my replacement HCx (the original bought in 2007!), and already replaced once for the same reason.

The guy didn't even worry about whether it was in warranty.  Just said  to post it back and they'll send me a replacement.

« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »
If it's new then surely it's the retailer's problem under consumer law, and not (directly) for the manufacturer to resolve?

As PB says this is correct, but Garmin seem to prefer dealing directly with the purchaser.  When I have had problems they have been very quick to resolve them to my satisfaction.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »
called garmin regarding "the rubber" issue, they took the serial #, given me rma number, i've sent the unit to them and received a replacement one five working days later. the original unit was six months out of warranty, but that wasn't a problem. top service from garmin!

and thanks to Wowbagger for advice!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »
called garmin regarding "the rubber" issue, they took the serial #, given me rma number, i've sent the unit to them and received a replacement one five working days later.

looks like i've been unlucky with the replacement one - the unit stopped working before a trip to brighton yesterday. it would turn on but get stuck at the splash screen saying "garmin". multiple resets didn't help, so a call was made to garmin and i've sent the faulty unit out today. hopefully i will get a replacement one by the time i need to go to paris.

« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2011, 12:32:43 pm »
Big thanks to wowbagger and all on this thread, just received a replacement Vista Hcx  that was suffering the rubber surround failure.

When I contacted Garmin I was quoted the £68 charge for repair, but on quoting some of the replys on this thread the support guy contacted his supervisor who viewed this thread and agreed to replace the unit free of charge.

So big thanks to all involved.

« Reply #20 on: 14 September, 2011, 10:26:59 pm »
Similar thing - emailed, but got no response. Rang, mention it being a common failure and got it booked in as warranty. A week or so later, I got a reply to my email saying "£68 pls", which I am ignoring.

« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:04:07 pm »
Just stumbled cross this old thread last night. Spoke to Garmin today to see if they were still replacing rubber grips - they want £67.20 to fix it. I bought my Etrex Legend new in 2010 and the rubber grip came loose withing a few months. I'll go the contact cement route as it's mainly the left side which is affected.

Moral of the story - read yacf more often! Cheers...

« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »
I received a new unit back in 2011, after I complained about the band coming loose. (Sadly, I no longer use it and it's
in one of my "Spares" boxes, along with a pair of Mavic Open Pro with a Schmidt front hub/Ultegra 9s rear hub).

« Reply #23 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:50:40 pm »
I'm still using my (second) replacement four years on and had no more problems with the case coming unstuck.  Looks like they changed the glue!

« Reply #24 on: 04 May, 2015, 09:15:06 pm »
I had my Etrex Hcx for many years before the rubber came unstuck, I just cleaned the old glue off and used thick strong double sided tape from ebay, leaving small gaps for the buttons, so far so good.