Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 12721 times)

Re: Geocaching
« Reply #25 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:07:42 pm »
We did our first two yesterday, inspired by a cute video review of an etrex where two kiddies were geocaching. I'd just installed the new version of ovi maps on the phone, and my boy needed entertaining. As you can imagine, the prospect of finding treasure is enough to send a 4yr old over the edge. My wife was convinced by his enthusiasm, so we did another with her and our 5 month old. Great fun.

« Reply #26 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »
My first today too - something to occupy my daughter for part of the last day of the school hols. Probably a good job I peeped at the extra hint - I'm not sure we'd have found it otherwise.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #27 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:20:08 pm »
Which website do you use?

There seem to be a few of them:

Geocaching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chief cat entertainer.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #28 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2010, 11:15:15 am »
I use
   Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

So do I....

I've been a member for a few years - and there are one or two caches that I originated in London.

I shall be setting a few up around here this summer.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30 on: 24 April, 2010, 09:22:04 pm »
I've done a few local ones with 'er indoors - it's a good excuse for a country walk, maybe find a few places that you sort-of-knew-were-there-but-not-really.
It all seemed a bit, well, sterile - rather solitary, overcomplicated maybe.
I've got a lot of the local ones loaded as POIs on my Garmin 605, but without the clues, printed out, and remembered to be taken, then the POIs are next to useless - I passed one on my ride home through Charnwood Forest, but I couldn't go looking for it, as I didn't have the cheat sheet with me.

And to go back to a point a previous poster made - Audax and Geocaching = a synergy, yes definately, and I'm surprised this hasn't been explored, this synergy could get me back into both Audaxing, and Geocaching!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #31 on: 24 April, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »
And to go back to a point a previous poster made - Audax and Geocaching = a synergy, yes definately, and I'm surprised this hasn't been explored, this synergy could get me back into both Audaxing, and Geocaching!

Ummm.... a new twist on info controls maybe    ;) :hand:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 24 April, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »
I've done a few local ones with 'er indoors

I think that's where you are going wrong.

You need to get out!
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #33 on: 25 April, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »
Why do I only check out this thread when I'm chained to the desk?  *weep*  I wonder what's within my response distance?

Also, apropos of nothing, this found on the geohasher site: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=k&msa=0&msid=111042395680221738473.0004644bc50d6f1b0d003&ll=50.777287,-3.361473&spn=0.118534,0.305214&z=12

Aww.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 23 July, 2010, 11:15:54 am »
Currently on Radio 4.  A programme on geocaching.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #36 on: 30 March, 2011, 10:39:51 am »
Quick plug for freebie Android app g:geo, which is geocache-wuvly.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #37 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
Quick plug for freebie Android app g:geo, which is geocache-wuvly.  :)

I downloaded the Palm OS one for my Pre as a freebie. gonna head out with the kids on Sunday for a bit of a treasure hunt!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #38 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »
Tried this for the first time with Miss Dan the Elder this morning. A nice 6km walk on the downs, a good hill, various wildlife, a bit of Miss Dan map reading, three caches found and a request for doing this again.  ;D

« Reply #39 on: 12 April, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »
Just signed up for premium membership, thinking that somehow it would get the clue on the GPS just like you get with the app on Android. Sadly not; the main features are the extra stats, which I have no use for. Perhaps if we did more of them...

« Reply #40 on: 12 April, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
Went to Box Hill with the kids and missus the other week and had our first go at this. Walked for a good few miles and found 2 caches. The 3 year old didn't moan too much and the 10 year old loved it!
They can't wait to go again.....

It creates a great excuse to get the kids out and about.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »
The paid for also makes it easier to download to your GPS if you have a Garmin. Along with much more details about the cach other than the location. It works well with my Garmin though I haven't paid for it, just seen reviews how it is done.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #42 on: 03 September, 2011, 05:28:46 pm »
Does anyone set up their own?  It seems to be a minefield as you have to get the landowner's permission even in publicly accessible areas and, presumably, no permission = no listing on geocaching.com as the reviewer won't pass it.  The Woodland Trust has a big form to complete  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #43 on: 03 September, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
Me and the GF have got into it and we have been to a few different places doing them. They get you to places you wouldnt normally go to which i think is good.

Does anyone set up their own?  It seems to be a minefield as you have to get the landowner's permission even in publicly accessible areas and, presumably, no permission = no listing on geocaching.com as the reviewer won't pass it.  The Woodland Trust has a big form to complete  ::-)

Not yet. But i have got two nano caches that i want to hide. However, i need to get permission and other stuff so i havent got round to it yet. Ive had a few ideas of where to hide them. One came to me on thursday after finding a cache in Sherwood Forest. Not long after a video came up by geocachingspoilers on youtube and it was what i was going to do :facepalm:

Don't question. It makes people angry.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #44 on: 03 September, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »

I've hidden a few in my local forests. So far 3 on Forestry Commission land, and one on a privately owned estate. I just sent them an email and asked, with the locations I was planning. I did say I would follow the GAGB guidelines, to avoid damaging the environment or endangering people etc. http://gagb.co.uk/what-is-geocaching/cache-guidelines/
The local Forestry Commission office do seem aware of what geocaching is, and not too bothered about it.

I know a few more spots which would be nice for geocaches, but I've not figured out who owns the land there.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #45 on: 10 April, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
I'm about to lay my first few. These will for some strange reason coincide nicely with the cyclepath I am working on as an encouragement to get people to use it. One micro and a couple of ordinary ones. One of the local cache trails is a series of 13 caches. Each of the caches contained 20 puzzle pieces so the first 20 people could collect a full set and make a bear (the theme was 'going on a bear hunt and each cache was appropriately titled - Mud, nettles, brambles, river etc.)  I'm tempted to do the same. For the investment in a sheet of 3mm A4 perspex and the use of a borrowed laser cutter I could molish a number of train carriage (and engine) puzzle pieces to join up and make when you find them all. Not sure I'd fit them in the micro one though. Maybe I should leave a wad of 'tickets' instead with didcot cut out.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #46 on: 11 April, 2013, 08:02:48 am »
Terra Incognito.

I do Geocaching most Sundays.
I go to the start of my club’s Sunday ride, and one of the lads tells us the location of a café we’ve never been before.

Maybe I could make a jigsaw puzzle of a Water living mammal that builds dams and lodges.

We could go on a 'Beaver hunt'.  ;D

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #47 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »
whats it all about then?

Anyone do it?

It can be a bit of fun, it can be a lot of fun. Sometimes it can be a bit dull. So it's much like any other hobby really.

I got into cycling because of geocaching, I wanted to strike out further from home without having to take the car, so bought a bike. Because I was striking out further and further I increased my fitness and strength without even realising I was doing it.

Now I tend to cycle first and geocache second but still keep an active account. In London most of the caches are film pots behind signs, which get a bit boring after a while. But then I'll head out into the countryside and find something more interesting, which makes it fun again.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #48 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
Just realised how old this thread is.

Something I do when I want to cycle rather than go caching is pick a cache that's a fair distance from home and ride out to it. It gives me a focus beyond just riding around for the sake of it, and even if I don't find the cache it acted as a kind of "control" on the ride to make sure I did the distance. If I find it that's a bonus.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #49 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:05:49 pm »
I dap in and out.

Found out that where we are atm there is tonnes of caches, more than in the area we living in London. Had a little look and found one on top of the hill, easy find, though had to move a dog dropping before I could get to the cache under some tiles.