Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 12756 times)

Geocaching
« on: 29 October, 2008, 08:12:07 am »
whats it all about then?

Anyone do it?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:16:49 am »
I've done it.

Great fun with kids - they love it. Bit geeky if you're going to do it on your own but it is a good excuse to get out into the countryside.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:32:27 am »

Been doing it from time to time.

Good way to train navigation and learning your GPS

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:49:16 am »
Bit geeky if you're going to do it on your own
I did it for a while  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:51:28 am »
Hmm...

Geocaching and Audax Info controls. There could be a synergy there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:14:57 am »
Yep!  Geocacher here...

It's great fun - and a good way of getting you out on your bike over winter.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:30:58 am »
Bit geeky if you're going to do it on your own
I did it for a while  ::-)

Yes - me too. Doesn't stop it being geeky though. Actually there is still one I want to do. The owner has released 3 geotags with stencils attached. When you have found all three, and collected the stencil markings, you get the coordinates for a cache. I have had two of the stencils so far and am waiting for the third to pass nearby at a time when I can get it. Been waiting about 2 or 3 years - its already gone by twice at times when I could not get it.

EDIT: - Dammit - now you've made me visit geocaching.com, and I can feel my inner geek stirring.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2008, 10:24:23 am »
If I get a GPS, I kinda know I'll be doing this :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2008, 01:11:43 pm »
I enjoy going out on the bike for the day doing a bit geocaching. The best bit is discovering all these new places, cafes, etc. locally that you never knew were there because they're a bit off the beaten track.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »
Might give it a go then, just had a look near me, and there seems to be a few around here.

And as a few have pointed out its a good reason to go and get cold and wet on the bike ;D

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »
Found a few.  I used it as a way to find new bits of forest for mountainbiking in.
AndyM

zzpza

« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
i've been doing it off and on for a while, but only recently sprung for the premium membership (paid for).

« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »
We do it a lot - even to the extent of going out in the dark and rain to get a "FTF". There's some really good ones that take to places you thought you knew but add something extra. Best one we've doen is "Follow the Furrow" in North Brittany.
Oh and it's a good way of walking the dog....

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2009, 05:02:25 pm »
Thread Bump - apologies.  But I've just found my first Geocache.  My inner geek has just escaped and is playing with technology too big for it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2009, 05:09:10 pm »
Is there such as a thing as a geocache hash?  21st century pursuit for drinkers with a running problem?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »
You could hash to a cache!

Or you could hash to a local geohash...

Error  ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2009, 02:00:49 pm »
I do it, the kids love it, the Mrs hates it. Not sure why, I guess because it adds complications to what should otherwise be a straightforward walk somewhere nice.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 24 August, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »
But isn't it just "go here and waypoint it" which is pretty much what I do for arbitrary walks anyway..?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #18 on: 24 August, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »
Works well with Scouts as a basis for planning a hike with a purpose, working out grid references, a bit of simple decoding of the clue, and feeling that you have achieved something on the walk.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2009, 01:38:12 am »
Cor, I didn't realise there were so many! And that you could squirt 'em to your GPS so easily... bwa-ha-ha my life is ruinéd!

The Mechanic

« Reply #20 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:46:42 am »
I signed on to Geocache.com some time ago but so far I have resisted the temptation.  I can feel it getting worse though.  Can I get help on the NHS 'cos my BUPA cover disappears mid October when I finish my job.  The local Altzheimers home is closing at the end of the year and I fear that the substance/gambling/alchohol /geocaching centre will be next.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 30 September, 2009, 09:59:45 pm »
Thinking of Alzheimers, I think the police chief at Pikes Peak is showing signs: PPCC Bomb Scare: Online Gamers to Blame - KRDO.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News, Weather and Sports

There are 400 caches within 10 miles of the site. 

The palm, the face, the assumptions.

« Reply #22 on: 30 September, 2009, 10:17:59 pm »
We had visitors who are into it.  We went with them, but I failed to get excited about finding a 35mm film container hidden in a drain.  What really put me off was that according to the geocache web site non-geocachers are known as muggles.  It seems to me like an excuse for playing with a hand held GPS for people who don't want to go cycling. 

I could have missed something, don't think I have though.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #23 on: 17 April, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »
looks like this post has dried up...but at elast I know I must be a geek now!  Almost reached 300 with some nice ones set, mainly on good cycling routes too!
Not just a cyclist's wife!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #24 on: 18 April, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »
I just looked into it since I watched a movie the other day which had it in.

Saw that there was one in the park next to us, used my iPhone to find it and wrote in the log book.

Now the question is, is this something I will keep up or ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit