Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1605902 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11250 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:23:05 am »
I work in a building sans air conditioning, supposedly 'cooled' by 'natural airflow', aka, open some windows. On lovely warm sunny days it is a humid stuffy oven with all the windows open.

The building contractors outside are jackhammering and scraping up concrete with heavy machinery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #11251 on: 25 June, 2019, 10:45:04 am »
When I flicked the light switch in the conference room, why did I expect the lights to come on? Bloody silly of me.

I hate having to talk to the (badly) trained monkeys on the Works Services helldesk.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11252 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:01:13 pm »
Why are small flying bugs so fatally attracted to an open tin of Hammerite?
Stupid animals.  I bought Hammerite Smooth, because that was the finish I wanted.
If I'd had wanted an insecty finish, I would have bought Hammerite Insecty.
But I didn't.  So I didn't.   >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #11253 on: 26 June, 2019, 03:23:20 pm »
Takes forever to go off nowadays too.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11254 on: 26 June, 2019, 04:55:02 pm »
Takes forever to go off nowadays too.

Well, yes that's what I thought. In fact as I understood it, one has to nominate someone to add a second coat as a note in your will.
However, reading the tin, it states "Touch dry 1-2 hours"  "Re-coat 4 hours"

Damn.  I was hoping for a day off tomorrow.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #11255 on: 26 June, 2019, 09:31:07 pm »
I’m in Warsaw.

Ok that’s not a grumble, it’s a very nice city, but I’m supposed to be in England. Bloody Wizz Air overbooked and despite being checked in with my bike actually on the plane they bumped me off and the next available seat is 05:55 on Saturday. And unlike BA they have not given me €400 and a replacement flight they have told me to claim via the website.

>:(
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #11256 on: 27 June, 2019, 06:09:05 pm »
Oh f'goodness sake.  Post night shift delirium and it's such a lovely day, perfect for an impromptu camping trip.  And now I'm bogged down in writing lists and finding stuff and can't seem to accomplish anything beyond drinking hot chocolate.

Ick.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11257 on: 27 June, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »
Night shift, horrible but necessary. Lists? Take panniers, put things in, go. You can also come back for the forgotten stuff tomorrow.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11258 on: 27 June, 2019, 07:18:08 pm »
The trick is to have written the list last time, so you can refer to it and make sure you don't miss anything important (particularly at morning o'clock).

(She says, failing to pack for a camping trip.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11259 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:52:56 am »
Oi, Screwfix!  When I order something from your "EU facility" I expect it to be delivered with an EU plug on it, not the moulded-on UK brick you supplied. That's another tatty adaptor to buy.  Cnuts.*

* Anglo-Danish knigs
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11260 on: 28 June, 2019, 08:56:52 am »
Shirley with your shedd and toolz you can hack it off and replace with a euro-plug?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11261 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:06:10 am »
Sure, but I'd have to go and buy it.

« Reply #11262 on: 29 June, 2019, 09:39:03 am »
Self: Work out how to set an alarm on your phone! Well, I thought I had, but it didn't go off. I suspect I have the volume muted on it, which stops alarms sounding. Bit silly either way. Instead of a comfortable 30 minutes this morning, it became a rather frantic 15.

It also meant I had to go the road way instead of the canal. Fortunately, Saturdays at 7am are not that busy.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

essexian

« Reply #11263 on: 29 June, 2019, 10:19:23 am »
Websites into which you put all the information they require only to be told: "POA."

Like hell I am going to book knowing how much it's going to cost me!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11264 on: 29 June, 2019, 02:39:54 pm »
Self: Work out how to set an alarm on your phone! Well, I thought I had, but it didn't go off. I suspect I have the volume muted on it, which stops alarms sounding. Bit silly either way. Instead of a comfortable 30 minutes this morning, it became a rather frantic 15.

Did that on a 600 in 2014, slept an hour too long.  Frantic is a good word.

« Reply #11265 on: 30 June, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
A phone that mutes the alarm sounds a bit WAD  :facepalm:

My bedside clock has two alarms, one is set for 0529 weekdays, and the other can be set for "ONCE" when I need to get up early to catch transportation. For reasons unfathomable, the default day for "ONCE" is today. I.e., in the past. It also requires a few passes through the settings as they don't always stick the first time. By which time I've forgotten what the date is and have no idea if it's set for tomorrow or not. So I just set it for "DAILY" and unplug it when I get up. With inevitable consequences the first night back from holibobs.  ::-)

[WAD] - Works As Designed. We know it's wrong, but that's what the spec said.
[0529] - In order to hear the news which starts straight after the Shipping Forecast which (unless it's really windy) finishes at 29 and a half minutes past, not 30. It also means I get to hear a different pronunciation of Ardnamurchan Point every day  :D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11266 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »
Gah. I cannot editorise your multiple little bits of document into one big document until you have written all the little bits of document and sent them to me. I think we've talked about this before. Was that a 21:00 deadline?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11267 on: 03 July, 2019, 07:46:39 am »
There is an 'orrible pong in the cellar where one of our waste pipes comes down from the bathroom and takes a knee before hieing off towards the inspection chamber in the garden. Now stuck here for plumber to call, instead of going cycling.

Bugger.

essexian

« Reply #11268 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:06:15 am »
Nice sunny day the other day so open goes the windows to let some air in....promptly to be closed again as a neighbour decided to do some more tile cutting.....they have been retiling their bathroom for the last four years and no, it's not the size of the new Tottenham stadium. 

This morning...nice and sunny so open goes the windows....only to be closed seconds later when another neighbour starts using a jackhammer to dig up their drive.

What is it with retired people and DIY: they seem to love it! Trust me, when I retire in a couple of years time I will find much more interesting things to do than that!

fuzzy

« Reply #11269 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
Nice sunny day the other day so open goes the windows to let some air in....promptly to be closed again as a neighbour decided to do some more tile cutting.....they have been retiling their bathroom for the last four years and no, it's not the size of the new Tottenham stadium. 

This morning...nice and sunny so open goes the windows....only to be closed seconds later when another neighbour starts using a jackhammer to dig up their drive.

What is it with retired people and DIY: they seem to love it! Trust me, when I retire in a couple of years time I will find much more interesting things to do than that!

Shirley, when you retire, it is time to get up early and do loud DIY as revenge aainst the neighbours?

essexian

« Reply #11270 on: 03 July, 2019, 10:54:35 am »
Nope.... I will just sit in my front garden and tut quietly to myself in the good old fashioned English way..... before heading down to the Magistrates Court to find them all guilty of having an offensive partner a built up zone and sending them down life.....

One can dream.  :thumbsup:

Oh.... and don't call me Shirley!  ;D

ian

« Reply #11271 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:36:47 am »
On that theme...

Neighbours (well, not really, their garden is one over from the bottom of ours) have been building some weird decking structure up their garden for months now. Looks awful and I'm not sure the point, other than provide what looks like an Olympic stadium venue for the local rat population. Anyway, I swear they spend entire Sunday mornings just hitting it with a hammer.

They also have what might be 50 dogs and a similar number of children. Bark. Bark. Interspersed with 'come on boy, come on' and the usual. All the time. We're quite a way away, if I were their actual neighbour, I'd have probably murdered them by now. The rats would dispose of the evidence.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11272 on: 03 July, 2019, 05:19:32 pm »
Sitting in the hairdresser for 2 hours, listening to other people's banal conversations and listening to a you'd using the word 'like' every 2nd word.
Sigh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11273 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:30:52 pm »

Sorry, i don't think i live near you but I spent today cutting bathroom floor tiles, i have one i want to recut tomorrow but should be done then and on to adhesive and grout.

essexian

« Reply #11274 on: 04 July, 2019, 08:58:59 am »

Sorry, i don't think i live near you but I spent today cutting bathroom floor tiles, i have one i want to recut tomorrow but should be done then and on to adhesive and grout.

Please cut away.... its not the fact that he is doing the cutting, but that he has taken 4....yes FOUR years to tile a bathroom. My bathroom which is the same size as his, is fully tiled (something like 400 sq foot) which took my little man something like 3 days to do.

Four years! I have had shorter marriages*

*Contains traces of lie.

Today's grumble...... GDPR and contract law....  :facepalm: