Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2166597 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18925 on: Yesterday at 08:40:07 pm »
Fitted smaller chain rings to the GRX double. Crikey it takes some torque to break the loctite. It’s now 44/28 teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18926 on: Today at 11:51:48 am »
I changed the tyre of the hackbike, how memorable could that be?

The bike I bought from a local almost-bike-shop about 5 years ago, frame is a 21 speed Gary Fisher, it had clearly had a long life before me but it fitted my specification - reasonable frame, v-brakes, fixed rear axle for adding a hitch. For about three years I experimented with a zero maintenance approach which - if I could have found an easy replacement at the same £70 I paid for it - would have left me quids in. But, as I couldn't I started to spend money on it. One thing it had needed from the start was new tyres, the old ones had tread but were cracked to buggery. I got a couple of Panracers cheap (yes I know If I wanted to get to there I shouldn't start here - there being a place where changing tyre was simple). I managed the rear wheel, and put the front down as a job for some day in the future. Grandson-ham had been pointing out just how cracked the tyre was, so the time had come, I decided.

You know you are Not In A Good Place when you have to deploy the BFO Park Levers to remove a knackered tyre. The Panracer was clearly going to be a challenge, said levers were needed from about just past 10 o'clock to just before 2 o'clock on the wheel. First time, I take GREAT CARE to push the tyre in with my fingers. But, as not entirely unexpected, I punctured it. Ho hum start again.

This time I use a set of plastic tyre levers to push the tube in, taking my time, as I thought that would be better. What with the levers being thinner than my fingers.

Guess how many punctures using this careful approach.

(click to show/hide)

I found another old tyre.