Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152847 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #500 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:40:12 pm »
Was out on Mull on the first.

I had set the controls in a manner that would allow riding up from Craignure to Salen, through the middle road then up the coast, over the hill road then back to Salen on the main road, Giburn rocks, along the Ross and then back to Craignure... except erm that means doing the middle road twice in the same direction baws! Edit: Except Figures of 8 aren't laps so would have been ok; double baws.

Careful checking of the map showed that it was still a doable route without being silly and only 16Km longer than intended.

Quarter to 7 I left the bunkhouse and headed north for Salen, being passed only by the Coastguard's pickup.
Light started to crack in the sky as I rode up Loch Na Keal and by Kilbrennan there was enough light to see by.

I was surprised by the progress I was making along the coast road as it lumps significantly in places and Calgary came faster than I expected.
The climb to Dervaig where I ate my first pre-prepared roll of the day and then up the hill road before descending to the Mishnish Lochs proved to be nowhere near as hard as I was expecting nor was the last dig over to Tobermory where I encountered my 3rd, 4th and 5th cars of the day as well as the only motorbike.
Thankfully I'd set up the control to be the roundabout (the only one on the island) so with a bottle of water and rolls in my bag I didn't need to descend to the harbour and then drag myself back out.

The climbs from Tobermory to Salen always catch me out a bit but proved not too difficult; the lack of boat traffic was also handy as it meant I could handle passing places properly in most cases.

Rolling through Craignure again I felt that horrible deflated feeling from the back wheel and set about resolving the fairy's work on the ramp out of the village after eating the 2nd roll.
The glen more road was a horrible drag, possibly because I could see it, and I felt like it would never end, though eventually it did and I descended to Pen-Y-Gael as rapidly as the traffic, road and wind conditions allowed.

Hitting the Ross I thought my climbing legs would get a rest but there's some sharp ramps on there and Fionnphort felt like it would never arrive, though the quiet village did eventually arrive and I consumed roll number 3. I also realized that I needed something a bit more rapidly metabolized and scoffed most of a bag of jelly babies.

Back along the Ross seemed to be faster as the light dropped and there was quite a bit of traffic and blinding headlights, but Pen-Y-Gael and the climb of Glen More was soon reached.
Once again the climb seemed to be easier in this direction and no headwind this time, can't think why...
The darkness certainly helped avoid seeing the road climbing the glen, and once at the summit the blast down then through Lochdon and back into Cragnure and the finished off the ride with just enough time to titivate myself before sitting down for Steak Pie with the hiking club mates.

bairn again

« Reply #501 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:20:15 pm »
Nice one ^. 

I'm up in the Fort his weekend and had toyed with doing the Fort Navigation but the weather looks like its going to put paid to it.       

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #502 on: 03 January, 2019, 04:06:37 pm »
Nice one ^. 

I'm up in the Fort his weekend and had toyed with doing the Fort Navigation but the weather looks like its going to put paid to it.       

Looking chilly but otherwise not too bad in the forecasts I'm looking at.
I'm hoping to get my 2nd 200 of the year in on Saturday; I need to think of something winter friendly and new from North Fife though, "Aberfoyle and back" and "Moulin Rouge" need some others in the mix.

« Reply #503 on: 03 January, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »
I was also out on New Year's Day. Early start from home wasn't quite as early as hoped after a serious argument with my alarm clock! Breakfast was surplus to requirements, having eaten on NYE enough curry for three rugby players and polished off a really nice bottle of Malbec. It quickly became clear that this pre-ride nutrition strategy was not one to lean on in future. Speed and motivation levels were way down. Luckily, I'd arranged to meet my pal, Gaz, in Swindon for company for the 'middle' 100K.
First leg was from Lacock to Swindon, via Sutton Benger and Cricklade. Stopped very briefly in Cricklade to send my buddy an ETA text, but otherwise never had to put a foot down for the first two hours.
The 'Middle 100' was a mini raid into the Cotswolds. We stopped at Lechlade for some sustenance, but I could only just about manage the (much needed!) Red Bull and pocketed the flapjack for later. Unusually for me, I'd planned a great route up to Bourton-on-the-Water on quiet lanes with minimal junctions to negotiate. So benign was the weather that Gaz was in shorts. The Mary's Rest Tea Room welcomed us with open arms and my Scrambled Eggs and Smoked Salmon went down a treat and didn't cost the earth; happy days.
The quiet, pretty lanes continued all the way back to Swindon, where Gaz bade me goodbye and left me to soldier on alone. Quick stop at Sainsbury's for caffeine and a Bounty, then up onto the Marlborough Downs, through Aldbourne and past my in-law's front door in Minal (or Mildenhall, if you're not local). Resisted the temptation to pop in for a warm up and pressed on through Marlborough, along the horrid (traffic wise) A4 to Calne, before threading my way through the lanes to home.
Not my fastest 200, but by no means my slowest which is pleasing given how ropey I felt for much of the ride. If I hadn't been meeting Gaz there's every chance I would've opted for hibernation.

bairn again

« Reply #504 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:32:37 am »
Nice one ^. 

Looking chilly but otherwise not too bad in the forecasts I'm looking at.
I'm hoping to get my 2nd 200 of the year in on Saturday; I need to think of something winter friendly and new from North Fife though, "Aberfoyle and back" and "Moulin Rouge" need some others in the mix.
Doesnt look too bad in the west Highlands right enough but I've now been stymied by having an unexpected extra passenger in the car tonight which means no room for the bike. 

Just walking in the hills then this weekend and will keep powder dry for a 200 the weekend after.     

« Reply #505 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
A good weather window for a 200k DIY today.  Cloudy overnight so the temperature was just high enough to avoid frost and ice.  Westerly breeze would help on the way back down Weardale and across to the coast.

Early start to get clear of the urban roads before the traffic built up.  My pace was OK (by my standards) and I got to a nice cafe in Corbridge early, but not too early, for breakfast.  Starting to feel a bit dodgy but a feed usually helps.

Then it started to go tango uniform.  I haven't done many miles over the last few weeks because of Christmas, weather, and a winter lurgy.  It seems the effects were catching up with me today.

Long and difficult drag up Allendale then over the big climb to wear head.  Despite another bit of food and flask of coffee at Allendale Town I wasn't feeling any better.

More downhill than uphill from wear head to Stanhope  but no recovery.  Only 40 miles to do, but it might as well have been 400.  Luckily the current Mrs Socks was available to drive to the cafe and give me a lift home.

Disappointing not to finish in such benign weather (for the time of year).  So number 3 of my second RRtY attempt still to do.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #506 on: 06 January, 2019, 09:33:54 pm »
At least you got out, my plan for #2 of the month  didn't even get submitted as despite the benign weather the last few days I spent most of it asleep or   :hand: :o :facepalm:
Weather for the next week is looking dubious, might need to find a station west of here that I can make use of the forecast strong westerly next weekend.

Also got a 200 mapped out from home to Waverly in case I need it before getting the train to Yorkshire Grit, but that involves the Campsies so also very weather dependent.

bairn again

« Reply #507 on: 11 January, 2019, 08:47:10 pm »
Alarm set for silly o clock for the early train from the capital to Dunblane.  DIY one way 200 to Aberdeen planned...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29163679

Man & bike booked on 1816 back to Edinburgh.  Hoping to have enough time for at least one pre train panache in Casc. 

@graeme_wyllie

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #508 on: 11 January, 2019, 09:05:39 pm »
Alarm set for silly o clock for the early train from the capital to Dunblane.  DIY one way 200 to Aberdeen planned...

Man & bike booked on 1816 back to Edinburgh.  Hoping to have enough time for at least one pre train panache in Casc. 

@graeme_wyllie

Should be a bit of wind assistance with that!
I've chosen to fight into the wind along the Balcony and then hope that the ochils provide some shelter along the hillfoots before striking out for Doune then off to Creiff and then along the EArn and into the tay valley where I'll hopefully get a big shove up the hill.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29134825

I've been toying with the route for a while and just as I thought I had it and bang on 200k in Google, I discover the total of distance added due to google thinking places should be geomarked in the middle of a neighbouring field (See Thornhill, Stirling as an example) brought the distance down by 3km...
Talking of Thornhill that'd sort it, and the extra distance created by avoiding the Keir Roundabout, but the only reasonable route is the A84, and that just no.

« Reply #509 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:42:23 pm »

@graeme_wyllie

Aye, we saw you about 10.14, at about your 87k mark, yellow bike, red top, unmistakable style. We shouted after you but you were obviously on too important a mission to stop for a blether with us Angus proles.

bairn again

« Reply #510 on: 12 January, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »

@graeme_wyllie

Aye, we saw you about 10.14, at about your 87k mark, yellow bike, red top, unmistakable style. We shouted after you but you were obviously on too important a mission to stop for a blether with us Angus proles.

Ah was that you pair with the car close behind you? I thought the car was going to pull out into my path so wasnt really looking, plus my eyesight is like Mr McGoo without my glasses.  sorry. 

I earlier caught up with what I thought was WBM from Coupar Angus and started chatting to a complete stranger. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #511 on: 12 January, 2019, 11:44:19 pm »
Well that was blowy!
Blog Post: https://fifeingeejit.blogspot.com/2019/01/tour-of-ochils-12th-january-2019.html
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2074113468/segments/52282501832

Battering into the wind took a fair whack out of me and I stopped to eat at Bridge of Allan rather than Doune as planned and was pretty shelled; did manage to have over 19kmh on the clock till then and was over 21ks at one point.

Tailwind didn't seem to materialize (as usual) after the turn at Doune, but then I was climbing up to Crieff quite well hidden by the hills.
Fantastic push along the Earn and Tay Valleys after Auchterarder though and got back in just over 11 hours.

Rolling Average to Doune: 19.8kmh
Rolling Average back from Doune: 21.4kmh
20m more climb on the return than outbound apparently...

Reckon it's be a pretty quick route on a still day.

« Reply #512 on: 13 January, 2019, 12:01:40 pm »
I did my take on the old Lanark 200, starting from Selkirk to keep the RRTY dream alive.

The first 80k to Lanark were straight into the teeth of a force 5 gale.  When I stopped at the Apple Pie in Carnwath for second breakfast at 80km, i hadn't even averaged 19km/h!

Things got a bit easier after the turn at Lanark.  I de-toured round the west side of Tinto, to pick up a few OCD points and my average had almost reached 20km/h by the next turn at Beattock (140k)

A quick bowl of soup at the Rumblin' Tum in Moffat fuelled me for the last leg up Moffatdale, and down the Yarrow valley.  Gusting cross winds were a bit of a concern as I passed St Mary's loch, and there were a few trees down which I had to avoid.

All in all a tough day on the bike.

Distance - 204.4km
Moving Time - 10:06:23
Elapsed Time - 11:05:05
Elevation - 2,432m
Average Speed - 20.2km/h
OCD - 1318m
@CorbieLinnRider

bairn again

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY
« Reply #513 on: 13 January, 2019, 12:15:33 pm »
Tale of the day : https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30881324

(I left my GPS running after arrival in Aberdeen but think i was around 9 hrs 45 mins overall).

Dark and damp leaving Dunblane after the 0529 from Edinburgh Park (mandatory provincial revellers heading home made me keep an eye on my bike).  Up the main street the wrong way to doff my cap at Andy Murrays gold post box and out of the street lights and into the dark.  I was using this ride to test out the hub light on my winter bike ahead of Yorkshire Grit next weekend and i made a few tweaks on the fly.

Braco, Gleneagles, Auchetrarder and Dunning still dark but nice sunrise on the bump over to Perth.  Usual shit driving thro Perth so was happy to take the quiet but lumpier Murrayshall Hotel diversion to avoid the A94.  Ditto the right turn at Balbeggie and through Kinrossie and Collace.  I got to Meigle bang on 1000 so shunned the joinery cafe and pressed on to brunch in McForfar.  Rammed as ever but quick and decent covfefe. 

A slam dunk block tailwaind on the Montrose road before a new road for me over to Brechin via Pitkennedy.  Police cones told me that a big game was happening at Glebe Park Brechin and the traffic was irritating on the link road to the A90.  Havent ridden this way through Edzell and Fettercairn for a while and i seemed to be making hard work of the long straight to Edzell, the cross tail had maybe got a bit cross. 

A grand old blast on the road to Auchenblae before the humply road to Stoney at 170k and a petrol station stop.  Draggy exit up through Ury (more A90 link road asshole drivers) and the only hard bit heading NW to Milltimber.  Id had an easy day otherwise so the legs had enough zip to work hard enough for this task.  This bit ran almost parrallel to the new Aberdeen peripherique, what a monstrosity it is, theough the traffic on the B979 was a tad quieter than id expected so its an ill wind.

Lights back on at the top of Milltimber brae and the north deeside road.  Its got a “painted line” cycle path, which was made dangerous by passing traffic encroaching into it to avoid oncoming cars.  Anyhow its only 10k or so into the City centre and i was soon rolling round the corner to the railway station. 

Bike locked, into the bogs to get changed and time for a couple of beers * in Casc before the train home and a picnic from Sainsburys. 

* Weihenstephan wheat beer (pint) and a Rodebach Classic (2/3rds). 

Harder tests to come but a good run out ahead of more serious fare (fayre?)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #514 on: 13 January, 2019, 03:28:37 pm »
I did my take on the old Lanark 200, starting from Selkirk to keep the RRTY dream alive.

The first 80k to Lanark were straight into the teeth of a force 5 gale.

Force 5 is but a Fresh Breeze!!!!
Gales start at Force 7

Worse today though

« Reply #515 on: 13 January, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »

Gales start at Force 7

True, but an unpleasant 5hrs nevertheless
@CorbieLinnRider

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #516 on: 13 January, 2019, 04:05:20 pm »

Gales start at Force 7

True, but an unpleasant 5hrs nevertheless

Aye, ordinarily escaping Glenrothes for the wee country is a pleasure, yesterday it was horrible...
One of the reasons I chose to do the ochils loop I'd been working on was due to the limited amount of North/South travel thus avoiding the strong side gusts I was expecting.

« Reply #517 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:03:26 am »
I completed my January 200km on Saturday... it was a very disconcerting, challenging battle against the winds in the final throws of fading light into the early evening.  Unless there is another weekend with similar temperatures, but without "that" wind that may well be my only 200km this January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBPWaKnZDU
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #518 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:59:07 pm »
Decided to head back into the wind on Sunday for a nice slice of cake and a cup of coffee with a short stop at Wold Newton village hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJUnBDLDzM
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #519 on: 04 February, 2019, 02:13:29 pm »
Rode Andy Uttley's "Ride around Ben Klibreck" on Saturday with Iroiromono

Conditions changed from bluebird skies and black roads, to blue bird skies and white road, followed by starry sky and black road.

Still preparing a blog post, but photos are available:
https://1drv.ms/a/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhtsZljcGrNDw1CUgqg

Due to a mishap or 6 while fitting the winter tyres we changed plans from Anti-Clockwise to Clockwise so that we went round by Heavens Cycles in Bonar Bridge (I didn't know they had moved from Ardgay so just a minor fleg when I saw the shop was now a tartan outfitters!), though we needn't have worried about the 2 spare tubes to 4 wheels ratio we had before the shop stop.

« Reply #520 on: 04 February, 2019, 02:51:20 pm »
Due to a mishap or 6 while fitting the winter tyres we changed plans from Anti-Clockwise to Clockwise so that we went round by Heavens Cycles in Bonar Bridge (I didn't know they had moved from Ardgay so just a minor fleg when I saw the shop was now a tartan outfitters!), though we needn't have worried about the 2 spare tubes to 4 wheels ratio we had before the shop stop.

In a way this was a blessing in disguise. I am glad for the blue sky with white roads rather than starry sky with white roads if we'd gone with the original plan.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #521 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:21:06 pm »
The blog post:
https://fifeingeejit.blogspot.com/2019/02/a-wintery-ride-around-ben-klibreck-2nd.html

As a correction to my previous post: The bike shop in Bonar Bridge is actually called Heaven Bikes.

« Reply #522 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:10:58 am »
Yesterday - February 200k as part of my second RRtY.  I have tried a hilly route taking in Allendale and Weardale for my previous two, this time back to the flat North Yorkshire route that I used in some of my 2018 rides. 

The forecast was for overnight temperatures of about 3 degrees, so I thought an early start on the quiet lanes from Heighington would be OK.  As Captain Bertorelli would say, "whadda a mistayka to mayka".  It was wet on Tuesday, and the very cold overnights from two or three days ago meant that the roads were still very cold so it turned out that there was some black ice about.  I had a couple of rear wheel slips, then a slow motion off when I tried to stop for a junction.  Luckily my recumbent bike is closer to the ground than the uprights so not as far to fall and no damage to me or the bike.

After that first stretch it got easier, and gradually brightened and warmed up through the day.  By the time it got dark it was nice and sunny.  With an excellent egg and black pudding sandwich at Bushby Stoop garage from a catering van in the forecourt.

Another bit of excitement on the B road to Piercebridge when three cars and a motorbike nearly had a pile up about 50 yards in front of me, entirely as a result of two of the drivers going too fast and too close.  Luckily they managed to avoid a collision and despite swerving across the road, the motorcyclist wasn't hit.  It could easily have been a nasty 'accident'.

Getting very cold as the sun went down, I finished just as it got dark so hopefully (subject to the usual) that's number 4 of RRtY 2 completed.  All a bit more exciting than planned.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #523 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »
By the time it got dark it was nice and sunny.

Eh?  ;D

Reminds me of, 'one fine day in the middle of the night'.................
Hear all, see all, say nowt

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #524 on: 07 February, 2019, 01:40:06 pm »
It's been a hard days night, said Socks, carefully climbing off his steed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles