Author Topic: What exhibition have you just been to ?  (Read 31536 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What exhibition have you just been to ?
« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2018, 04:58:26 am »
I was lucky enough to get a 'thank you' from Liverpool Museums for a training day I did for them, consisting of a visit to their 'Terracotta Army' exhibition. Rather super!

Among the exhibits was a replica of a hugantic crossbow. For some reason, I thought of Charlotte OTP.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2018, 05:38:28 pm »
Went to the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition with my Mum today.

Some exhibits ought to be posted elsewhere on yacf....

POBI for the Banksy 'Vote Love June 23rd' which by some weird coincidence, was priced at £350m.

'Unaffordable Housing' signpost ought to be in The Gallery's Sensible Signs thread.

There were several Grenfell Tower works,

We couldn't/didn't see everything...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:11:31 pm »
The 'Unaffordable Housing' signpost was also in the RWA annual show, which I went to today (with Cdzzmc Jnr again). There were also one or two items I'd previously seen elsewhere, particularly some woodcarvings which I remember from Centrespace earlier this year. Or was it last year? I rather like them so was happy to see them again, although this time there was only one of a set of three. Lots of paintings and some rather good sculptures – I don't really like sculpture but I liked some of these. Going back to see more of it next week. Better and more varied than last year.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:05:34 pm »

https://twitter.com/schemaly/status/1060656625273454599

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-history-female-rage-art

Interesting , Judith & Holofernes is a gallery staple, I've forgotten how many different paintings I've seen, but the others mentioned are new to me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:59:19 pm »
Went to the Roman Vishniac exhibition at the Jewish Museum last week.

It featured many iconic images of the holocaust era and also more recent video interviews of some of the children pictured.

« Reply #31 on: 12 November, 2018, 01:03:08 pm »
I’ve just seen this in Dulwich Picture Galleries Twitter stream.

A St Sebastian pin cushion  :jurek:

https://shop.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk/products/st-sebastian-pin-cushion

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:10:16 pm »
That's almost as good as the JFK and Jackie salt & pepper pots.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 22 December, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »
Abstract Expressionists at the RWA. Bert Irvine (who?), Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock and a couple of others. Also some figurative stuff by the same people. Bright luminescent colours, energy, huge canvases.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:23:17 pm »
Prototyping in Tokyo, at Japan House, Kensington High St (until 16/3/19)

If you like mechanisms this is a must-see, some incredible engineering, both new and Japanese traditional.

(View may be coloured by the accompanying free sake tasting).

« Reply #35 on: 27 February, 2019, 09:21:55 pm »
Not an exhibition, but an interesting article on a couple of recently "discovered" Rembrandts.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/magazine/rembrandt-jan-six.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimesarts

I've not been to Amsterdam for years, and my old favourite cheap hotel is no longer cheap!  Must sort a visit out soon.

« Reply #36 on: 28 February, 2019, 01:02:16 pm »

If you like mechanisms this is a must-see, some incredible engineering, both new and Japanese traditional.

I think that's my day-out sorted for this weekend. Ta.

« Reply #37 on: 02 March, 2019, 03:35:34 pm »

That was most excellent.
As Orienteer says excellent, innovative stuff - eg: a cam, the eccentricity of which can be altered, while it rotates under load  :o
Lots and lots of stuff that you are allowed and encouraged to handle - or in my case, break  :-[ (They allowed me to fix it  :thumbsup:)
No sake  :(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #38 on: 02 March, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

That was most excellent.
As Orienteer says excellent, innovative stuff - eg: a cam, the eccentricity of which can be altered, while it rotates under load  :o
Lots and lots of stuff that you are allowed and encouraged to handle - or in my case, break  :-[ (They allowed me to fix it  :thumbsup:)

Ooh, that looks good. Damn this jam packed diary.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #39 on: 02 March, 2019, 05:02:39 pm »

That was most excellent.

How long would you recommend for this? I'd planned on going before last week's Brompton talk, but didn't have the time. I will be back in the Smoke next week, so may nip in if I can get away.

« Reply #40 on: 02 March, 2019, 06:23:14 pm »

That was most excellent.

How long would you recommend for this? I'd planned on going before last week's Brompton talk, but didn't have the time. I will be back in the Smoke next week, so may nip in if I can get away.
I had it wrapped in just under 1 hour - including sitting through 3 short films.
The stuff on the ground floor isn't worth the time of day.
Head for the basement.

« Reply #41 on: 02 March, 2019, 06:24:35 pm »
An hour would suffice.

The sake tasting must have been a one-off event, I struck lucky  :)

« Reply #42 on: 02 March, 2019, 07:05:06 pm »
An hour would suffice.

The sake tasting must have been a one-off event, I struck lucky  :)
I'd figured as much.
Private View and all that.

I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who has a mechanical bent / inclination.

« Reply #43 on: 02 March, 2019, 09:58:32 pm »
The sake tasting was on the ground floor, not directly linked to the exhibition.

As the one out of three samples I preferred was £48 a bottle, I didn't buy any.

One of the most impressive things about the mechanisms is that each one was 3-D printed as complete working assembly in one pass. Only the electric motor units were added afterwards.

« Reply #44 on: 02 March, 2019, 10:26:23 pm »
The sake tasting was on the ground floor, not directly linked to the exhibition.

As the one out of three samples I preferred was £48 a bottle, I didn't buy any.

One of the most impressive things about the mechanisms is that each one was 3-D printed as complete working assembly in one pass. Only the electric motor units were added afterwards.

My bold: I stand corrected.

« Reply #45 on: 03 March, 2019, 11:11:08 am »
Last weekend, my wife and I went to this:
https://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/whats-on/robert-blomfield-edinburgh-street-photography

Well worth a visit.  We both loved the "bespectacled boy with football" pic which was a stand-out.

« Reply #46 on: 15 March, 2019, 03:05:45 pm »
Don McCullin at Tate Britain.  Far more extensive than I expected, probably 200+ prints, all a decent size, around 30x60cm. Not too busy (we went in at 11am, out at 12:30), and my wife remarked it was the quietest major exhibition she’d ever been to.  All the prints were made by McCullin himself.

Incredibly powerful images, even the ones I’d seen before - the shell-shocked Vietnam GI, the Biafran children, the East End homeless. But the one I’ll remember most, the one I’d never seen before, the one that had me on the verge of tears (ok, there was more than one, but this one hit hardest), was entitled “A Baby Abandoned, Bangladesh”.

The exhibition is on until May 6th. Do try and see it if you can. Superb hang, outstanding images.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #47 on: 29 March, 2019, 06:46:02 pm »
The Leonardo prints from the Royal collection, at Bristol.

Was worth seeing, but I guess I'm too much of a philistine to really appreciate. However the level of detail and the accuracy was awesome. Worth seeing, and even more so for being a freebie.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #48 on: 06 April, 2019, 05:38:37 pm »
Don McCullin at Tate Britain.  Far more extensive than I expected, probably 200+ prints, all a decent size, around 30x60cm. Not too busy (we went in at 11am, out at 12:30), and my wife remarked it was the quietest major exhibition she’d ever been to.  All the prints were made by McCullin himself.

Incredibly powerful images, even the ones I’d seen before - the shell-shocked Vietnam GI, the Biafran children, the East End homeless. But the one I’ll remember most, the one I’d never seen before, the one that had me on the verge of tears (ok, there was more than one, but this one hit hardest), was entitled “A Baby Abandoned, Bangladesh”.

The exhibition is on until May 6th. Do try and see it if you can. Superb hang, outstanding images.

Just seen this . Very busy , just shuffling around. Totally mind numbing. How much horror & suffering we inflict on each other.   A must see for anyone with an interest in 20th - 21st century history.

Edit: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n08/jeremy-harding/at-tate-britain

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #49 on: 07 April, 2019, 05:53:01 pm »
Saw Ruskin at 2 Temple Place. Not sure if it's still on, but was a nice exhibition in a fantastic building FOC.

Saw Dior at The V&A. A bit merengue and the curating was overdone. Not as good as Balenciaga at the same place a while back.