Author Topic: Morris Audaxes, Sept 9th 2023, start near Lechlade  (Read 10557 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #50 on: 22 August, 2023, 11:29:15 am »
Another 10 days or so to get your entries in for the Morris Minor and Morris Major from Kelmscott, near Lechlade. Still some places remaining on both events. Mrs alfapete will be providing the cakes as usual at Snowshill (at 60km on both events) and hot food at the end. The 100km event ventures out across the Cotswolds and returns with a very flat final 10km. The 200 covers the same ground but with a flatter middle 100km loop which heads over towards Droitwich and benefits from the same flat finish - but it is 220km in total.

A few more details available here, and links to the entry pages: https://morrisaudax2023.weebly.com/

E-brevet available
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Re: Morris Audaxes, Sept 9th 2023, start near Lechlade
« Reply #51 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:32:00 pm »
I'm in - the gluten free options were amazing when I did the 100, so this time I'm trying the 200.  That said, I've not done anything like the miles to make a 200 seem achievable, so fingers crossed for nice a nice mild day so I can pootle round :)

If only my dynamo wheel hadn't just popped a rim :( guess I'll have to dig out some of the battery lights for my likely lantern rougue-ing as I don't think it'll be fixed in time...

« Reply #52 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:31:11 pm »
Entered  :thumbsup:

I'll be on fixed - so imagine I'll be "joining the Ramblers" on anything that looks steep!

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #53 on: 23 August, 2023, 08:56:32 am »
It's one of my favourite rides with great support at the start/finish and the first control. Following the Coln valley on the way out is particularly nice and the roads around Worcestershire way are all good with a great cafe stop middway. There is a lovely 10km at the end which has a consistent flat/slighty downhill gradient which is very welcome after the kicking dealt by the Cotswolds from about 270km on.
Entered  :thumbsup:

I'll be on fixed - so imagine I'll be "joining the Ramblers" on anything that looks steep!
The toughest is the one out of Chipping Campden (walked it once, rode it once) but there's a couple after which are borderline.
Unfortunately I can't make it this year.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #54 on: 23 August, 2023, 09:35:58 am »

The toughest is the one out of Chipping Campden (walked it once, rode it once) but there's a couple after which are borderline.

Slight route change this year so Chipping Campden is bypassed this time along with a couple of the small lumps which followed. The big haul out of Blockley is still there, though.

« Reply #55 on: 07 September, 2023, 04:29:08 pm »
With temperatures likely to be high again this weekend, does anyone know where it might be possible to get bottles topped up on route. 

I will be doing the 100k but it is 60k to the first manned control in Snowshill.  I know some churches have a tap outside.  Perhaps I should try and put an extra bottle cage on my bike for this weekend.

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #56 on: 07 September, 2023, 08:58:02 pm »
I've never used it but apparently according to google maps, there's a shop just off route at Andoversford (station  road), just before you cross the A40

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7VHaJiBymNAZNGkN8

« Reply #57 on: 10 September, 2023, 09:01:09 am »
A great ride today in the Morris Minor 100k on what was officially the hottest day of the year (in September!!!).  The organiser had clearly done his homework very well indeed to create such a lovely route climbing gradually to the control at Snowshill where we riders were very well looked after.

I have never seen Bourton-on-the-Water as busy as it was with daytrippers enjoying some late summer weather but most of the way back was easy and fast with the exception of the climb through Gt.Rissington.

I narrowly missed the crossing of the Tour-of Britain but did get caught out by some very in-considerate motorists just after.

I do hope the guy who had struggled to get to Snowshill made it back as he was clearly suffering with the heat.

Many thanks to the organiser and his team for an excellent event.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #58 on: 10 September, 2023, 12:25:49 pm »
Thanks Jethro.

We had a slightly depleted field but most riders advised in advance: injury, illness and weather being the reasons given. One rider on each event succumbed to the heat but were successfully transported to the Arrivee to collect their cars, and a further pair were struck by a gear cable failure early on in the 200 so chose to head for home. Otherwise everyone got round with one or two loving the heat but most suffering through it with a cheery disposition.

Many thanks to Karolina, Kevin (hope I've remembered that right!) at the start, Mrs and Miss alfapete at Snowshill and then Mrs alfapete again at the end. All riders accounted for, and we had left the Hall before closing time even allowing for clearing up!
Currently redistributing food around the neighbourhood  :).

« Reply #59 on: 13 September, 2023, 01:01:55 pm »
The Shakshuka to finish was very good - must remember to save some sourdough for it next time  :)

« Reply #60 on: 30 October, 2023, 02:51:22 pm »
I rode the 200 this time, boy what a scorcher!

I was seriously hot all day, the first stop at Snowshill was greatly received and with a wide selection of gluten free goodies I felt very well looked after.  Half way I stopped to cool down & eat at the Jinney Ring chatting to a few other riders, after that it was tough into the relentless early afternoon heat.  Finally rolling into the finish not quite Lantern Rouge, I felt like I'd really extracted full value from the day!

Food at the end was fantastic as usual, the only downside was a swarm of files that tried to get into my car when loading the bike (I was parked in long grass).  I drove fast with the windows down, but had to stop twice & used a torch to entice them out of the car!  :o

Anyway, enjoyable day out & highly recommended event, thanks alfapete, family & helpers, I'll be back again  :thumbsup: