Author Topic: Some old cameras . ...  (Read 2568 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Some old cameras . ...
« on: 27 April, 2019, 08:06:09 pm »
I know there are some camera buffs lurking on here ......

We have been clearing out my late father-in-law's house and found 3 old cameras - as far as I can see they have no value other than for interest - if anyone wants them the postage does it (or collect at Stratford-upon-Avon):

1 Fujicarex II early SLR with two extra "Galaxy" lenses - wide and telephoto + a couple of filters.  Camera is in excellent condition in the original case together with the manual and a small Dixons gadget bag - and the original bills for the purchase in 1968.

2 Canon T50 SLR in good condition BUT one of the batteries is in it and has some corrosion - probably possible to remove it.

3 Agfa Isolette III "bellows" camera with original leather case - looks as if takes 120 film?

Please PM if interested - really want to send all 3 and not split them.

Rob

Re: Some old cameras . ...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2019, 03:02:27 pm »
PM Sent

On today's ride I took a 1957 (possibly 1960) Agfa Isoly 120 film camera with a pop-out lens to photograph the bluebells. So, yes, there are some old camera lurkers out here!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2019, 04:15:26 pm »
I know there are some camera buffs lurking on here ......

We have been clearing out my late father-in-law's house and found 3 old cameras - as far as I can see they have no value other than for interest - if anyone wants them the postage does it (or collect at Stratford-upon-Avon):

1 Fujicarex II early SLR with two extra "Galaxy" lenses - wide and telephoto + a couple of filters.  Camera is in excellent condition in the original case together with the manual and a small Dixons gadget bag - and the original bills for the purchase in 1968.

2 Canon T50 SLR in good condition BUT one of the batteries is in it and has some corrosion - probably possible to remove it.

3 Agfa Isolette III "bellows" camera with original leather case - looks as if takes 120 film?

Please PM if interested - really want to send all 3 and not split them.

Rob

What's the set up of the Isolette III?
There were different shutters and lenses on them depending on what you wanted to pay and when you bought them.
The more shutter speeds the better it was but I can't remember the ranking of the lenses.

Tempted, though my box of old cameras is over full...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2019, 04:28:32 pm »
We collected old cameras during the 80s.  A nice tip when bargaining for one on a fleamarket is to try the shutter: there's a good chance it either won't work or will open & close very slowly, because the lube will have thickened. With persistence it'll probably loosen up again, but if the seller isn't savvy about it you can get the beast for a much lower price than they're asking.

Of course, it might not loosen up so you might just have bought a nice paperweight, but at least it'll be a cheaper paperweight than it would have been otherwise.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:13:18 pm »
We collected old cameras during the 80s.  A nice tip when bargaining for one on a fleamarket is to try the shutter: there's a good chance it either won't work or will open & close very slowly, because the lube will have thickened. With persistence it'll probably loosen up again, but if the seller isn't savvy about it you can get the beast for a much lower price than they're asking.

Of course, it might not loosen up so you might just have bought a nice paperweight, but at least it'll be a cheaper paperweight than it would have been otherwise.

I got a Canon T90 on that basis for next to bugger all, think I paid £45 for it;
I took the chance on it being the standard problem of the shutter clogging up and being releaseable by changing batteries...
and then the seller contacted me asking if I wanted the 70-210mm and various other Canon FD bits they were selling too.

Thankfully being by e-mail they never got to see my instant response to that offer...

Total Bargain.

My Isolette III has the Prontor-SVS shutter and Apotar 1:4.5/85 lens, that was another Ebay bargain... Was wrongly listed as a II and only the Prontor shutter, evidently not enough people check the pictures.

Unfortuantely they, the XAs and the Box Camera I like using are too clumsy to carry on the bike so aren't getting much use just now.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:15:36 pm »
Cameras gone subject to collection.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2019, 08:10:27 am »

Most of my cameras have come through ebay and because I'm a cheapskate, I've got a low upper limit on what I'm prepared to pay.
My 'hit rate' on ebay purchases for working cameras  is about 80-90% with the paperweights being mainly jammed shutters and previous bodged repairs. I've got a few which I'm working up the energy to resell, a couple of which are probably easy fixes for someone with the skills, energy or tools to have a go at.
Charity shops seem to be a dead loss for finding cameras, and maybe I get to car boots too late, but all I see is overpriced junk. So, ebay it is despite my reservations.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2019, 11:29:37 am »
I suspect that the golden age for collecting has come and gone, with eBay-aware vendors hoping for big sous on anything presentable.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight