General Category > OT Knowledge

Quadcopters for camera use

(1/33) > >>

andygates:
Distaff to the lifting kite thread, I'm toying with getting a little quad.  Kites need you to have a friend and I'm Billy No-Mates, plus I often want to take photos of things too close for kitey interaction (buildings, cliffs, Verity's boobs).

Anyone played with quads enough to have an opinion?  A kit like this one looks like it'll match up with my existing Futaba r/c (from the kite rig).

mrcharly-YHT:
Check out the parot drone. A work colleague messes around with one a lot.

matthew:

--- Quote from: andygates on 17 February, 2014, 04:06:50 pm ---Distaff to the lifting kite thread, I'm toying with getting a little quad.  Kites need you to have a friend and I'm Billy No-Mates, plus I often want to take photos of things too close for kitey interaction (buildings, cliffs, Verity's boobs).

Anyone played with quads enough to have an opinion?  A kit like this one looks like it'll match up with my existing Futaba r/c (from the kite rig).

--- End quote ---

Oi

Why the interest in my younger sister's cleavage   >:( Plus I don't think you are the man she's marrying in a couple of months.

andygates:
Parrot looks sexy, a bit more than I have in my jamjar right now... limited to wifi range, though? Hm.

I meant Verity the giant naked lady in Ilfracombe.  Unless that's still your sister. ;)

Jaded:
Not played enough yet, but have a toy one and have read around. They are difficult to control, a learning experience. Don't be taken in by the YouTube videos showing them going through letterbox holes - it is quite a learned skill.

A gimbal for the camera is usually advised, although newer quads seem to be more stable.
GPS used for getting it home if contact is lost, and for compensating for wind is pretty useful too.
Battery life or a spare battery (my toy one lasts some 7 minutes)
They break. Probably not too much of a problem for a practical person like you andy
Small ones catch the wind more
FPV at least lets you see what you are taking photos/video of, but usually has a WiFi connection back to a smartphone on your rig.

WRT the no-mates - you are advised to have a second person, to spot other flying things, trees, wires, police etc! Plus taking photos from the air brings you into CAA licensing territory.

A bit here
Plus interesting stuff at the BMFA

My guess is that (until they become so widespread that they are a nuisance, or you are invading privacy) limited hobby use will go unmolested. They've been used to monitor police action in demonstrations - there is a youtube of one being shot down somewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version